Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You're right. Guys get fired all the time in the NFL, but a lot of the time it has to do with personality or a new coach coming in and wanting a friend of his, someone hes worked with before or someone with a more similar philosophy. When you get fired over and over because of your terrible results, its a different thing altogether. Arians has has good results most of his career and I was not happy when Pittsburgh didnt re-sign him as their offensive coordinator when his contract expired (he wasn't fired). Pittsburgh wanted Todd Haley whose father was a long time Steeler scout and Haley was good friends with the Rooneys.

The good news is that now the Ryans can only screw up 1 team instead of 2.

Well I wonder what the Jets think of him though.....Happy to be rid of him, but maybe don't want to play him either since his 2-0 record against them single handedly kept them out of the playoffs?
As a coach, Im not so worried about him, but the NFL is more bland without those types. That is what I miss about the 70s and 80s...Colorful personalities that weren't afraid to display it....and fat quarterbacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not only did Ryan's Bills beat his old team (Jets) twice, they did it 22-17 both times. How many times do you think the final score is 22-17...and they did twice against the same team.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Not only did Ryan's Bills beat his old team (Jets) twice, they did it 22-17 both times. How many times do you think the final score is 22-17...and they did twice against the same team.

You certainly don't see that happening often.That has to be getting close to Lotto odds!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #864
Give me a forum ...

Rex is so crazy, if he had went 4-12 with those four wins being the Jets and Pats, he would have called that a very successful season.

BCS Championship Game Broadcast
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #865

BCS Championship Game Broadcast

I know this is an "NFL" thread....But, I couldn't find a BCS thread & didn't think it deserved one of its own. So, at the risk if derailing this thread---

I just watched the ESPN (That's 'Extremely Stupid Polluted Network') "Mega-Homers" broadcast of the championship game; one of several social media-polluted broadcasts by said network.

Man, what low rent production. Not only was half the screen full of crap that nobody wanted to see (Tweets by whoever, a news scroll across the bottom, etc.) but, we had to watch & listen to JV broadcasters ask cliche' questions to former players who, frankly, could barely put coherent comments together.

Thankfully, I could watch most of it slightly taped delayed so, I could FF through the visual & verbal clutter. But, the whole production (maybe it should be called a 'reduction') detracted from a fantastic BCS championship game.

Here's hoping that a real network broadcasts it next year.

OK...Rant Over.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #866

Burfict got suspended for the first 3 games of next year but Antonio Brown is doubtful for the Denver game with a concussion. I dont see anyway Pittsburgh beats Denver without the best WR in football AND the best all around RB in football. Not too mention Roethlisberger has a sprained shoulder and is day to day. Its tough to win when your 3 top players are not playing or in severe pain. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, injuries are the number one factor in which of the good teams goes all the way.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #867
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I know this is an "NFL" thread....But, I couldn't find a BCS thread & didn't think it deserved one of its own. So, at the risk if derailing this thread---...
I usually watch that game but totally lost track of it this year. From what I just read it sounds like an entertaining game. It is hard for me to believe that the national college championship game is not broadcast on a major network. Sad.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #868
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I usually watch that game but totally lost track of it this year. From what I just read it sounds like an entertaining game. It is hard for me to believe that the national college championship game is not broadcast on a major network. Sad.

You know why I am sure... $$$$....ESPN is now a big boy...It can outbid those networks now for prime events.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #869
Give me a forum ...

Now that we know Kubiak has made his decision and Manning will be his starting QB this Sunday, it will be interesting to see if he (Manning) can hold up the entire game and what will Kubiak do, if Peyton "begins" having a bad day. We're into sudden death games now. One loss and you go home for the season. I'm wondering how much pressure Peyton was able to put on Kubiak. Office politics even in the NFL.....

I can almost hear Brock now using an old "theater idiom" wishing Peyton good luck when he says, "break a leg".
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #870
Give me a forum ...

A good friend of mine originally from Montgomery texted two words: Roll Tide! That was one exciting game from two great teams.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #871
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That was one exciting game from two great teams.
+1

And what a contrast in the quality of sportsmanship compared to the gang warfare we saw between the professional thugs in the NFL game over the weekend.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

And what a contrast in the quality of sportsmanship compared to the gang warfare we saw between the professional thugs in the NFL game over the weekend.
Good thing it's only a couple of teams that display this thuggery in the NFL and not the whole league.....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #873

I enjoyed the Tide-Tigers game although I was pulling for Clemson. Certainly more entertaining than most of the bowl games this year. We did have national TV coverage of the game on basic cable although not on an OTA channel which is maybe what pb4uski was alluding to.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #874
Give me a forum ...

Ah, an excuse to jump in when my tigers got a mention! (Not really much of an NFL fan)

Those guys played their hearts out, and it was a thrill to see them in the big game. Sad ending, but a good game, and certainly classier than the Steelers vs Bengals.

Really proud of them and their season. Watching how Dabo Sweeney teaches them brings back fond memories of watching Dean Smith and his basketball players at UNC when I was growing up.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Good thing it's only a couple of teams that display this thuggery in the NFL and not the whole league.....
Yeah, if it was the whole league then they would need to rename it the NBA.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yeah, if it was the whole league then they would need to rename it the NBA.
lol
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #877

Reading a report this morning that the Eagles may hire Tom Coughlin as their head coach. He will be 70 at the start of next season. What motivates coaches with his credentials to continue to coach and not consider retirement? He already won two SBs.

If it's the enjoyment of the game wouldn't a consulting or a front office job fill that need instead of the grind of a head coaching position?
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Reading a report this morning that the Eagles may hire Tom Coughlin as their head coach. He will be 70 at the start of next season. What motivates coaches with his credentials to continue to coach and not consider retirement? He already won two SBs.

If it's the enjoyment of the game wouldn't a consulting or a front office job fill that need instead of the grind of a head coaching position?

It is a fascinating incite into these competitive people. Head coaches careers largely end the way athletes are. On someone else's terms not there own.... I remember Bud Grant retiring on his own in mid 50s saying he wanted to hunt and fish more. Then the next hire was disastrous ending in a 3-13 season. Vikings begged him out of his 2 year retirement and he got them back to respectability at 7-9. After that one season he said the program is back to firm footing and he is going back to hunting and fishing and retired again for good at age 58.
Despite being 0-4 in Super Bowls he never felt the urge to chase it until death which I thought was unusual for a coach.

NFL: 2015 Season
Old 01-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #879
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2015 Season

Surprisingly little traffic in this thread so far today!

Being ever-loyal, having started being a New England fan before I took a few years adventure in Boston, I'm of course hoping for a Patriot win over the Chiefs.

However, should the opposite happen, then I'd need to figure out who to pull for as the playoffs proceed. It occurs to me that it'd be pretty cool for one city to claim both the MLB and NFL titles in one season.

I mentioned this to a guy I've been talking with at a local place and he pointed out that Pittsburgh already had that achievement. Apparently there are even more.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #880
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Surprisingly little traffic in this thread so far today!

Being ever-loyal, having started being a New England fan before I took a few years adventure in Boston, I'm of course hoping for a Patriot win over the Chiefs.

However, should the opposite happen, then I'd need to figure out who to pull for as the playoffs proceed. It occurs to me that it'd be pretty cool for one city to claim both the MLB and NFL titles in one season.

I mentioned this to a guy I've been talking with at a local place and he pointed out that Pittsburgh already had that achievement. Apparently there are even more.
Sorry.... But I am busy at the game!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote