Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Well with the Patriots win today, I'm already equal with my overall picks from last week. (1 out of 4) I don't particularly like the Patriots but I bet on them anyway since I figured they would win. Terrible time management on KC's part in the last quarter.

Rooting for the Packers tonight. Broncos and the Panthers tomorrow.
3 out of 4 this weekend. That's better.

I thought the Broncos (and Peyton) didn't play as well as they could against the Steelers today. They better be on the top of their best game against Brady next week or it will be all over for them this season. Even that might not be good enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
3 out of 4 this weekend. That's better.

I thought the Broncos (and Peyton) didn't play as well as they could against the Steelers today. They better be on the top of their best game against Brady next week or it will be all over for them this season. Even that might not be good enough.
The Denver defense was mostly pretty good. I'm just glad the Evil Empire has to play a game on the road.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #923

I actually thought Denver's defense was pretty bad. They give up an avg of 283 yds/ game but Pittsburgh gained just under 400 without their top RB and the best WR in football. The one fumble by a RB that was on the practice squad 3 weeks ago and Denver's special teams won the game.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #924

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
utrecht, at least for tomorrow, I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Go black and gold!
OK, pb4uski,

Thanks for the support, but, I guess you can now take off your Lynn Swann jersey.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #925
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should be great games from here on out...though most of the playoff games were interesting if not good. Chiefs-Texans was the only boring playoff game IIRC.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 AM   #926

Pittsburgh outplayed Denver and should have won the game if not for that turnover.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Should be great games from here on out...though most of the playoff games were interesting if not good. Chiefs-Texans was the only boring playoff game IIRC.
Yes, that game sucked. I just hope that it finally forced Texans management to address the hideous QB situation and go all-in to fix it this time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #928
Give me a forum ...

The most striking takeaway from the weekend was the atrocious clock management, most notably by the Chiefs.

Both Carolina and Seattle forgot that there are four quarters in a football game.

I noted several bad "spots", especially in the Packers/Cards game.

Not sure any of the teams were hitting on all cylinders. Some glimpses though.

In my dream scenario, Peyton and the Broncs win the SB, and then Peyton retires! Not sure they can win the next two...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The most striking takeaway from the weekend was the atrocious clock management, most notably by the Chiefs.

Both Carolina and Seattle forgot that there are four quarters in a football game.
Carolina did much the same thing in their game against the Giants, and they apparently didn't learn their lesson. In that game, they had a 35-7 lead in the third quarter, shut it down at that point, and the Giants actually *tied* the game late in the 4th quarter before a last-minute FG won it for the Panthers.

I'm willing to credit Seattle's adjustments and refusal to quit for some of that, but yeah, Carolina again seemed to sleepwalk after amassing a huge halftime lead.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"The biggest disappointment was I really didn't want to play the game the way we did in the second half," Panthers coach Ron Rivera told reporters. "I wanted to be more aggressive, I wanted to just continue to try and attack, but we got into protect mode, which I'm a little disappointed about."
Ummm...aren't you the coach

Cam Newton: 'Lots of players with their butts tight' - NFL.com

Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #931

When you are winning 31-0 at halftime and have anywhere near a competent defense all you have to do is run the ball and the clock will do the work for you. Carolina didnt need to throw more than 5 times in the second half to win. They almost gave it away trying to blow Seattle out instead of just winning.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
When you are winning 31-0 at halftime and have anywhere near a competent defense all you have to do is run the ball and the clock will do the work for you. Carolina didnt need to throw more than 5 times in the second half to win. They almost gave it away trying to blow Seattle out instead of just winning.
The problem is that they couldn't run the ball. And the defense went into a prevent as soon as the second half started. And by the 4th quarter their defense was on the field way too much and couldn't stop anything.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #933

I'll admit that I didnt watch much of the second half, but I did hear the sideline reporter say that she talked to Rivera at halftime and he said that he wouldnt be happy just closing the game out and that he would keep scoring. That's a stupid plan when you're up 31-0. Ive also always thought prevent defense was stupid.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #934
Give me a forum ...

Sitting on a nice lead... the same thing happens in hockey and it drives me nuts....
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #935
Give me a forum ...

Been away on vacation about the last 10 days. Return home tomorrow. By being away, missed some games but did catch that crazy Cardinals vs Packers game awhile back.

For this Sunday, I'm picking Panthers over Cardinals (Palmer did not look good against the Packers) and Pats over the Broncos. Manning and the playoffs, I won't pick him anymore.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #936

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For this Sunday, I'm picking Panthers over Cardinals (Palmer did not look good against the Packers) and Pats over the Broncos. Manning and the playoffs, I won't pick him anymore.
I don't care much about the Cards and Panthers but I'd like to see the Panthers win, just because they were so close to a perfect season... No other reasons and no bets on that one.

However, I do care about the Broncos and Patriots game. I'm afraid you may be right but I'm still going with the Broncos. Unfortunately, Manning may want it so bad it will hurt his playing by taking to many high risk passes. But, I really don't want to see Belicheat or Brady win again.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #937
Give me a forum ...

If Gronkowski and Edelman don't play against the Broncos (both among players listed as questionable), I'd be very surprised if they could win, especially on the road at altitude. I assume they will play even if they aren't 100% since it's a conf championship. We'll know soon.

We should have two great games on Sunday, no matter who you may pull for (or actively hate where applicable)...

Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If Gronkowski and Edelman don't play against the Broncos (both among players listed as questionable), I'd be very surprised if they could win, especially on the road at altitude. I assume they will play even if they aren't 100% since it's a conf championship. We'll know soon.
If playing won't significantly increase risk of further injury and they can play through the pain, they will play.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #939
Give me a forum ...

Plus, if they win, they'll have two weeks to recover and heal. If they lose, they'll have a lot longer.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #940

It was full attendance at their last practice on Friday before heading to Denver. It will be full hands on deck even if they're not 100%.

This should be a good day of Football as the top two seeds from each conference are playing for a place at the Big Dance.