Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #1001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good for him.... I have always liked and respected Payton as a competitor and am pleased that he was able to go out in style.

I agree... But something tells me outside forces were the reason he can retire on a high note. It is hard to quit something you enjoy so much, but he really had no other option. Thankfully for him, no 1973 San Diego Charger Johnny Unitas season will happen now. His body will thank him for the retirement, if it isn't too late already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #1002
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
This is a case of retiring not early but at the right time. The sheriff riding off in the sunset, on top, like the classic westerns. Congrats to him.

Hopefully, no Favre, Magic or Jordan type comebacks .

Yes, I imagine every player who had a chance to ride off in sunset, but didnt probably regrets it (unless they needed the cash)....I might be the only one, but I enjoyed the Favre and Jordan "comebacks". Really, Favre had no comeback, and his 2010 season with Vikes was arguably his best season ever. That may have been my favorite season of his ever. Yes, Jordan wasnt mid 80s Jordan with Wizards but he made the team a winner. And his comeback years were certainly better than Kobe's past few years.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #1003
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Peyton's surgeons are all breathing a sigh of relief. Has to be one of the comeback players of all time. Worked out for him to this point but have to wonder if that level of competitive spirit is really a positive. Great to see him go out with the big win in the last game.

As far as the NFL, or any pro league, switching to more defense don't hold your breath, or even wish for it. Offense puts fans in the seats. The NHL is a far less entertaining league than it was in the day of free wheeling offense and disorganized defense. Sure the New Jersey Devils won some Stanley cups but what was the cost! Boring!! And the league has yet to recover. In baseball one has to love the highlight reel catches and throws but most plays in the field are routine and players juice and put their lives in danger to hit the ball out of the park and many changes have been made to increase offensive output over the years. Basketball? The pro game is a non-stop hoopfest! Bring on March Madness!! Please!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #1004
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Peyton's surgeons are all breathing a sigh of relief. Has to be one of the comeback players of all time. Worked out for him to this point but have to wonder if that level of competitive spirit is really a positive. Great to see him go out with the big win in the last game.

As far as the NFL, or any pro league, switching to more defense don't hold your breath, or even wish for it. Offense puts fans in the seats. The NHL is a far less entertaining league than it was in the day of free wheeling offense and disorganized defense. Sure the New Jersey Devils won some Stanley cups but what was the cost! Boring!! And the league has yet to recover. In baseball one has to love the highlight reel catches and throws but most plays in the field are routine and players juice and put their lives in danger to hit the ball out of the park and many changes have been made to increase offensive output over the years. Basketball? The pro game is a non-stop hoopfest! Bring on March Madness!! Please!

6smiths, I have a tip for you if you want to bring back the excitement in a 2-1 type hockey game.... Put $500 on the game. You wont take your eye off the screen as that one goal whenever it comes may be the difference between putting money in your wallet or pulling it out.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #1005
Give me a forum ...

I saw this neat summary of Peyton Manning's NFL career:

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #1006
Give me a forum ...

That is a great chart pb4uski, thanks. I'm glad Peyton retired on a high note, though from what I'd read Elway would have retired him from the Broncos by Mar 9th anyway.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That is a great chart pb4uski, thanks..
+1. Quite a career.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #1008

I keep track of goings-on in my native state of Illinois. This morning there was an announcement of the new head football coach at the University of Illinois: Lovie Smith. Remember him?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #1009
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a QB vacancy in Denver. Brock Osweiler agrees to terms with the Texans.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #1010
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looks like a QB vacancy in Denver. Brock Osweiler agrees to terms with the Texans.

Vegas has posted 8 as Texan's season win total with plus odds on over. Hopefully it will still be there next month when I get to lay down my investments for the coming season. '73 Chargers Johnny Unitas version would be an upgrade for Texans, so Osweiler will meet that low level bar.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #1011

Quote:
Maybe they'll talk Manning out of retirement
Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #1012
Give me a forum ...

That seems to be one of the options. Oops! It sounds like they thought that they would come to terms with Osweiler when they let/nudged Peyton out the door.

Myers: Peyton Manning is retired, but a comeback makes sense - NY Daily News
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #1013
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That seems to be one of the options. Oops! It sounds like they thought that they would come to terms with Osweiler when they let/nudged Peyton out the door.

Myers: Peyton Manning is retired, but a comeback makes sense - NY Daily News

Please no. As long as the Broncos can keep their defense intact, all they really need is a game manager.

Maybe they can talk Kyle Orton out of retirement .
Old 03-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #1014

The Broncos may have caught a break: Johnny Manziel has just become available as he's been waived by Cleveland. Of course, the Broncos will have to win the bidding war for Maziel's services.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The Broncos may have caught a break: Johnny Manziel has just become available as he's been waived by Cleveland. Of course, the Broncos will have to win the bidding war for Maziel's services.
Well they should be able to get him really cheap. Personally, I wouldn't want him on my team, until he grows up,,,,,, a lot.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #1016
Give me a forum ...

Manziel got waved. I think that goes in the "about time" category .
Old 03-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The Broncos filled their QB vacancy by trading for Marc Sanchez. They think they can win with a great defense and a game manager as a QB. When was the last time Sanchez successfully managed a game?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #1018
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
The Broncos filled their QB vacancy by trading for Marc Sanchez. They think they can win with a great defense and a game manager as a QB. When was the last time Sanchez successfully managed a game?
Most of the reports indicate Sanchez was acquired as a backup since the Broncos seem to be trying to pick up Kaepernick from San Fran.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #1019

Id take Sanchez over Kaepernick....and that's not saying much about Sanchez. Kaepernick has had about 4 good games in his career and suddenly everyone thought he was a superstar. He also has no big time college pedigree to fall back on.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #1020
Give me a forum ...

I think if whichever team that has Kaepernick features his running as a major weapon, then he having him is better than average (remember the 49ers playoffs vs the Packers?). But a pocket passer, decision reader he is not. I think Sanchez is okay...for 3rd string .