Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
After week 2, time already for the Bears to think about losing out and getting a good draft pick for next year.

Seahawks will definitely beat the Bears, despite looking lackluster most of the game against the Packers. Seahawks should have done more Russel mode instead of Beast mode.
Play the Bears, get better. Playing for draft pick no. Back to the cubs and then on to the Bulls. Have a nice thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
As I mentioned before, it's much easier to take a pay cut if your supermodel wife is worth $400 million. None of these people should be struggling financially but most of them need to support a family for the next 50 years and are the sole breadwinner so they need to get what they can while they can.
Even before he married his supermodel wife in 2009 Brady was not among the top paid QBs in the league.

It's an organization's philosophy to not overpay for any position and a QB who is willing to exchange compensation for winning. Their superior management of the salary cap is what made them the most successful team in the last 15 years.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #143

Baseball needs a salary cap so we can find out who the best teams are, not the richest teams. We already know who they are.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #144

Well, it seems as if the Steelers have not yet found someone to replace their injured kicker. The new and not-improved kicker, Josh Scobee missed two field goal attempts in the Steeler's opener. In their second game, the Steelers opted not to kick for the extra point on their first two touchdowns and went for the two point play (successful both times). On their third touchdown they went for one point with Scobee--and he missed. Hope he improves quickly or just goes away.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Well, it seems as if the Steelers have not yet found someone to replace their injured kicker. The new and not-improved kicker, Josh Scobee missed two field goal attempts in the Steeler's opener. In their second game, the Steelers opted not to kick for the extra point on their first two touchdowns and went for the two point play (successful both times). On their third touchdown they went for one point with Scobee--and he missed. Hope he improves quickly or just goes away.
Scooby Doo (my nickname for Scobee) SUCKS! As a Steeler fan, I want his head on a platter....or just for him to be cut. Either is fine.

I'm pretty sure that was the first time in history that a team went for 2 after the first score of the game. Going for 2 will happen a lot more now that they start at the 2 yd line instead of the 2 1/2 and the extra point is moved way back, but I don't think anyone anticipated a team going for 2 right off the bat. It does add excitement to the game so I like it in general.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #146

is there any team worse than the Texans? we're horrible
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, come on... you gotta be better than the Bears.

Noticed that Jax beat Miami yesterday... that was a surprise.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
The Bears have the highest negative point differential(by far). You're right up there(or down there) with the Bears as the two worst teams so far.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I wouldn't push panic button yet...I kind of had them 0-2 out the gate. As bad as it has appeared offensively they have managed to stay competitive in both games... This weeks game is a must win game vs. Bucs though.....They could still wind up on periphery of playoff chase with a slight uptick in offense. Their schedule gives them a punchers chance to win 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
It's an organization's philosophy to not overpay for any position and a QB who is willing to exchange compensation for winning. Their superior management of the salary cap is what made them the most successful team in the last 15 years.
...and a facet of 'superior management of the salary cap' is finding diamonds in the rough--like 6th round pick Brady, among others--and turning them into great players.

But I do seem to have heard somewhere that Brady got some future 'consideration' for taking the salary hit. Not entirely an altruistic move.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...and a facet of 'superior management of the salary cap' is finding diamonds in the rough--like 6th round pick Brady, among others--and turning them into great players.

But I do seem to have heard somewhere that Brady got some future 'consideration' for taking the salary hit. Not entirely an altruistic move.
Looks like Brady actually got a pay raise as long as his skills don't go down significantly.
Source: Tom Brady restructures deal to help Patriots free up cash, earns extra $3 million in process | The Blitz | with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald
Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Scooby Doo (my nickname for Scobee) SUCKS! As a Steeler fan, I want his head on a platter....or just for him to be cut. Either is fine.

I'm pretty sure that was the first time in history that a team went for 2 after the first score of the game. Going for 2 will happen a lot more now that they start at the 2 yd line instead of the 2 1/2 and the extra point is moved way back, but I don't think anyone anticipated a team going for 2 right off the bat. It does add excitement to the game so I like it in general.
Finally, finally, we completely agree on something. Actually, I agree with everything you said in your post. Try to keep up the good work.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #153

Heinz Field is a house of horrors for kickers.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Heinz Field is a house of horrors for kickers.
True, but Scooby Doo missed 2 FGs in NE in week one also.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #155

Unless the men of steel have an exceptional kicker they should go for two every time.

By season's end we just might then see other teams follow suit.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #156

Quote:
I've followed the Texans since they were founded (~2002). I've seen most of their games and the first two this season are among their worse.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

NFL: 2015 Season

I have season tickets to the Texans and told my wife I can not go watch the games. Makes me sick I spent that much money to watch their performance

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #158

Texans are just another team that hasn't figured out you cant win without a franchise QB. Or maybe they have but there's only about 10 to go around and if you don't land one, its like musical chairs and you are the guy with no chair.

If you don't have a franchise QB, your only other chance is to build a smothering defense. Trying to have balanced offense and defense without a franchise QB doesn't work. Trying to spend a bunch of money to put superstar offensive skill players around a marginal QB doesn't work.

Franchise QB or smothering defense is the only way.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Texans are just another team that hasn't figured out you cant win without a franchise QB. Or maybe they have but there's only about 10 to go around and if you don't land one, its like musical chairs and you are the guy with no chair.

If you don't have a franchise QB, your only other chance is to build a smothering defense. Trying to have balanced offense and defense without a franchise QB doesn't work. Trying to spend a bunch of money to put superstar offensive skill players around a marginal QB doesn't work.

Franchise QB or smothering defense is the only way.

True, but OLine has been a mess. Get their QB some time and running lanes and things can change. Heck even wild Brandon Weeden stepped off the sidelines cold and pitched 8 straight completions when Romo went down. They also aren't getting the T-overs early on like the D did last year. A little disappointed they didn't let Hoyer start 3 games before panicking. He is certainly no franchise QB, but many people do not know this stat. During his Cleveland years he was 7-5 as starting QB. When he was hurt or not starting the teams record was something like 7-29. Things can change quickly in NFL. Get the must win at home vs. Bucs this weekend and all is not lost yet. Lose this one....ya its about over.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Things can change quickly in NFL. Get the must win at home vs. Bucs this weekend and all is not lost yet. Lose this one....ya its about over.

Agreed and I am considering a "small bet" on them (just out of a little remaining hope and loyalty) It's about the only thing that will give me some interest in watching the game.