NFL: 2015 Season

Yahoo Sports Power Rankings:
Another representation of how the schedule makers can give a good team an unfair advantage and make their road to the SB much easier.

While schedule definitely has an effect on your record, the NFL does not make up the schedule out of thin air.

From THE ANATOMY OF THE NFL SCHEDULE
Here’s how each team’s opponents are set:

• Every team plays six games against the other three teams in its division, facing off twice per season — once at home and once on the road.
The NFL's scheduling formula ensures that all teams will play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
  • Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road. Which division a team plays is determined by a rotation system ensuring that the teams in one division will play the teams in every other division in its conference once every three years.
  • Every team plays one game against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference once per season — two games at home and two on the road. These matchups are also determined by a rotation, which ensures that all teams play every team from every division in the other conference once every four years.
  • Every team plays its remaining two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and the other on the road. The matchups are determined by where the teams finished in their divisions in the previous season. For example, a team that finished the previous year in third place in its division will play the third-place teams from the two other divisions in its conference.
Here is how many times the top 8 played against one of the top 9 from last year.

Carolina.....4
N.E...........4
Arizona......2
Cincinnati...4
Pittsburgh..5
Denver.......5
Seattle......5
K.C...........5

While the quality of the teams you play certainly have something to do with your end results, I do not believe the schedule makers are giving anyone an unfair advantage.

Last edited:
Just think how this crazy scenario would be....Jerry Jones who threw Brandon Weeden under the bus for Cowboys struggles, comes off the bench for Texans leading them to victory. If they win next two games they are in the playoffs and all but certain one win gets them in. It would be hilarious to see Weeden starting a playoff game while "Jerra" watching at home in his mansion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its funny how the coach or the QB are the prime suspects for throwing under the bus. When Weeden was struggling the OL sucked at pass protection, no running game was evident at that point, and Dez was out as well.

I didnt mean the schedule makers give anyone an unfair advantage on purpose and I know how the schedules are made. Since theres no way every team can play every team, the NFL came up with this scheduling system, but there is a lot of luck involved in whether or not a team plays the right divisions at the right time to make their schedule easy (or if their own division is tough or not).

For example, NE seriously lucked out that this year they played the NFC East AND the AFC South. The two most pitiful divisions in the league giving them a seriously easy schedule. Based on the strength of their team, they wouldve won their division even with a tough schedule but probably wouldnt have gotten the number 1 seed.

Carolina plays in an easy division and also played both the NFC East AND the AFC South and again, waltzed into the number one seed based on that ridiculously easy schedule. Carolina was 7-8-1 last year. They are better than last year but not 14-0 better than last year. You can bet they wouldve lost a couple games if they had not played a schedule where their avg opponent has a .439 winning percentage. The second easiest schedule in the league.

.....Another representation of how the schedule makers can give a good team an unfair advantage and make their road to the SB much easier.

I didnt mean the schedule makers give anyone an unfair advantage on purpose and I know how the schedules are made. ....

Your previous post certainly inferred that there was some conspiracy by the schedule makers to favor certain teams over others.... then someone calls you on it.... and then you change your tune. Interesting... but not surprising.

I didnt mean the schedule makers give anyone an unfair advantage on purpose and I know how the schedules are made. Since theres no way every team can play every team, the NFL came up with this scheduling system, but there is a lot of luck involved in whether or not a team plays the right divisions at the right time to make their schedule easy (or if their own division is tough or not).

For example, NE seriously lucked out that this year they played the NFC East AND the AFC South. The two most pitiful divisions in the league giving them a seriously easy schedule. Based on the strength of their team, they wouldve won their division even with a tough schedule but probably wouldnt have gotten the number 1 seed.

Carolina plays in an easy division and also played both the NFC East AND the AFC South and again, waltzed into the number one seed based on that ridiculously easy schedule. Carolina was 7-8-1 last year. They are better than last year but not 14-0 better than last year. You can bet they wouldve lost a couple games if they had not played a schedule where their avg opponent has a .439 winning percentage. The second easiest schedule in the league.

That is the way it is in all sports. A lot of times a team can get into the playoffs from any sport because of the division they play in or the teams they play against. Proving yourself a dominant team over time and getting into the playoffs year after year and winning several championships in a relatively short period will separate the good from the lucky.

The question next year will be, is Carolina a good team or a lucky one?

That is the way it is in all sports. A lot of times a team can get into the playoffs from any sport because of the division they play in or the teams they play against. Proving yourself a dominant team over time and getting into the playoffs year after year and winning several championships in a relatively short period will separate the good from the lucky.

Well my betting record hasn't been that good this year. 50/50 at best, so take this with a gain of salt. I'd like to see Carolina go all the way but after their close call win this weekend, it's clear that anything can happen. I think they have a really good chance for a perfect regular 16-0 season based on their remaining schedule but I don't think they are the same caliber as Boston, Green Bay or even Denver, Cincinnati or KC.

I think the playoffs may help answer your question of, are they really that good or have they just been lucky.

Last edited:
Your previous post certainly inferred that there was some conspiracy by the schedule makers to favor certain teams over others.... then someone calls you on it.... and then you change your tune. Interesting... but not surprising.

I didnt make my point clear. I'm not backpedaling at all. There's a lot of luck involved in who plays who and it can literally make the difference in who wins a Super Bowl. If my post inferred anything was done on purpose to help any team, I apologize for not making my point clear.

They clearly are both....I went to Vegas this summer to lay my season win total bets. I made 2 season bets, $1200 to win $1000 on Texans 8.5 over and $1000 to win $1200 on Carolina 8.5 ovr. The schedule was one of two reasons I chose it... Schedule always matters... The other one was their deceiving record last year. 7-8-1 was not indicative of their ability. They were 3-2-1 before their decimated line was destroyed. Got healed up and won last 4. So they were 7-3-1 when relatively healthy. Previous year they won what 12? This is not an accidental good team this year... And yes of course I wouldn't have made the bet if it was over 10! :)

These type of pics come out all too often at this time of year

Attachments

• Steve Harvey Cowboys.jpg
    Steve Harvey Cowboys.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 14
Some interesting match-ups this weekend: Pats/Jets, Packers/Cards, Bengals/Broncos, and maybe even Giants/Vikings.

Apparently we'll have the Boys/Bills game foisted upon us...

Bear Fan Sufferer

I am pretty much a part time fan when a Chicago sport team is playing dismally but I pretty much watch every Bear game. I thought this year they were finally get coached up and after the Green Bay game I thought they might run the table the last 5 games. Especially when 49's and Redskins were coming to town and both teams were 0 forever on the road. But oh how things changed. Now it is possible they will lose the last 5 games. NFL= Not For Long.

I am pretty much a part time fan when a Chicago sport team is playing dismally but I pretty much watch every Bear game. I thought this year they were finally get coached up and after the Green Bay game I thought they might run the table the last 5 games. Especially when 49's and Redskins were coming to town and both teams were 0 forever on the road. But oh how things changed. Now it is possible they will lose the last 5 games. NFL= Not For Long.

Well, I have it as bad... I have won my Panthers season win total bet, and now I need Texans to win last 2 to cover that bet. And I have to count on Brandon Weeden who is 0-11 since his last win in 2012. Since they are facing Titans, hope is not all lost yet.

As long as Cutler is their QB they will not go anywhere IMHO.

They gave him a contract reserved for elite QBs (not sure why) but he has not elevated the team. Fox is a good coach but he won't succeed without a good QB. It's a QB league as evidenced by the elite teams like NE, GB, AZ, Pittsburgh, Carolina etc.

Same here (watch all bear games). I did predict they would win 5 games - of course, I hope I am wrong. Fox is the first coach they hired with NFL HC experience since maybe old man Halas. Got to give him a few more years to get guys to fit his system -especially on defense.

On offense, the injury bug really hit them hard iro receivers and their offensive line is spotty at best.

Just saw this about Cleveland.
I can't imagine much more painful in the world of sports than being a Cleveland Browns fan, or a Cleveland fan in general. Yes, you can point to Cubs fans, but they are probably also fans of other Chicago sports teams, like the Bulls, Bears and Blackhawks, who have all won championships in the last 30 years (and several in some cases, including some recently for the Hawks). But Cleveland? There is no joy in Cleveland. Not since the Browns' last NFL title in 1964 (two years before the first Super Bowl), or last MLB championship in 1948. All they've known since then is sucker punches to the gut.

Last edited:
I just saw the movie Concussion. It's a very good movie that shows the effects of repeated head trauma from playing football. Those who complain about the "new" NFL being too soft should really pay attention to this movie. I can't imagine you'd feel the same after watching it. There is very good reason why the NFL has cracked down on head-to-head contact.

I just saw the movie Concussion. It's a very good movie that shows the effects of repeated head trauma from playing football. Those who complain about the "new" NFL being too soft should really pay attention to this movie. I can't imagine you'd feel the same after watching it. There is very good reason why the NFL has cracked down on head-to-head contact.

What bugged me was that Sony offered "free admission" to NFL players to watch it. Come on, they are mostly wealthy and they KNOW the risks. They should have offered it to high school and college players.

What bugged me was that Sony offered "free admission" to NFL players to watch it. Come on, they are mostly wealthy and they KNOW the risks. They should have offered it to high school and college players.

I'm not sure that they do know the risks but I agree they can all afford to buy their own movie tickets. The league minimum for 2015 was $435K.

Im fine with the sever penalties for helmet to helmet contact but what ticks me off is the roughing the QB penalty for touching the QBs head. Lots of times a guy jumps to try to block a pass and when his arms come back down they bum the QBs helmet. It probably hurts the defenders hand or arm more than the QBs head.

Will the Eagles fly tonight, or walk the turf like turkeys?

I like Chips Kellys style of play but the Eagles have given up 40+ points 3 of the last 5 games and Kurt Cousins is leading the NFL is completion percentage. I think Wash scores a lot tonight!

I like Chips Kellys style of play but the Eagles have given up 40+ points 3 of the last 5 games and Kurt Cousins is leading the NFL is completion percentage. I think Wash scores a lot tonight!

Most of the announcers are going that way, picking Redskins. At this point Redskins are the more consistent team in many ways.

I don't understand the relative surprise either on the seriousness of concussions......Roger Staubach retired in 1980 after his best statistical season because of repeated concussions. But he was no dummy....currently he is the wealthiest person to have ever played the NFL. Net worth somewhere near 3/4 of a billion dollars.

Back
Top Bottom