NFL: 2015 Season

What happened to the Vikings? They can't win in their own Freezer Bowl? Not so good.

I had no dog in the hunt in that game, but that was one of the luckiest wins I have *ever* seen. Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.

I had no dog in the hunt in that game, but that was one of the luckiest wins I have *ever* seen. Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.

+1.
I also don't really root for/against either team. I guess the old maxim, "better lucky than good" still applies. The Seahawks were lucky yesterday.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

It was also the most boring playoff game Ive ever seen. I know it was mostly due to the bone chilling cold, but jeez. Before the game Russell Wilson said the cold wouldnt be a factor. Come on, Man!

Last edited:
Seattle had no business winning that game. Their entire game was three plays: the missed FG, the broken play off of a bad snap, and the Peterson fumble. That's it.

+1.
I guess the old maxim, "better lucky than good" still applies. The Seahawks were lucky yesterday.

+1

OK, now we've reached an all time low. Rex Ryan hired his brother Rob Ryan to coach the Bills defense. Here is Rob Ryans resume:

Defensive Coordinator
Oakland 2004-2008
2004...30th in defense
2005...27th in defense
2006...3rd in defense (18th in points allowed)
2007...22nd in defense
2008...27th in defense...got fired

Cleveland Defensive Coordinator
2009...31st in defense
2010...22nd in defense...got fired

Dallas Defensive Coordinator
2011...14th in defense
2012...19th in defense (24th in points allowed)...fired

New Orleans Defensive Coordinator
2013...4th in defense (up from dead last the previous year)
2014...31st in defense (yep...I knew last year was an anomaly)...fired

Honestly you cant get much worse than this guy. 11 years as a D coordinator and 7 of them ranked 22nd or worse. Lets not forget that Rex Ryan already took the Bills defense from 4th to 19th in one year. Check back next year. I bet they both get fired within 2 years.

Given the Bill's defense was 19th this season, I would think Rob would fit in nicely.... in fact last season was probably a good head start for him on dragging them to the bottom of the standings in defense.

OK, now we've reached an all time low. Rex Ryan hired his brother Rob Ryan to coach the Bills defense. Here is Rob Ryans resume:

Defensive Coordinator
Oakland 2004-2008
2004...30th in defense
2005...27th in defense
2006...3rd in defense (18th in points allowed)
2007...22nd in defense
2008...27th in defense...got fired

Cleveland Defensive Coordinator
2009...31st in defense
2010...22nd in defense...got fired

Dallas Defensive Coordinator
2011...14th in defense
2012...19th in defense (24th in points allowed)...fired

New Orleans Defensive Coordinator
2013...4th in defense (up from dead last the previous year)
2014...31st in defense (yep...I knew last year was an anomaly)...fired

Honestly you cant get much worse than this guy. 11 years as a D coordinator and 7 of them ranked 22nd or worse. Lets not forget that Rex Ryan already took the Bills defense from 4th to 19th in one year. Check back next year. I bet they both get fired within 2 years.

Clearly, the stats are not good. But, getting fired in the NFL is probably not very meaningful. I watched the profile of Bruce Arians' career on "A Football Life", and he was fired at least six times. This is the same guy who's been named AP NFL Coach of the Year two of the last three years. But, he also has a 34-14 record in his latest job as Cardinals Head Coach so, there ya go. And, he seems like a pretty cool guy. I can see why he's able to get the best out of his players.

You're right. Guys get fired all the time in the NFL, but a lot of the time it has to do with personality or a new coach coming in and wanting a friend of his, someone hes worked with before or someone with a more similar philosophy. When you get fired over and over because of your terrible results, its a different thing altogether. Arians has has good results most of his career and I was not happy when Pittsburgh didnt re-sign him as their offensive coordinator when his contract expired (he wasn't fired). Pittsburgh wanted Todd Haley whose father was a long time Steeler scout and Haley was good friends with the Rooneys.

The good news is that now the Ryans can only screw up 1 team instead of 2.

OTOH, Minnesota never managed to score one touchdown. As I said, Not So Good for the Vikings. The Seahawk defense must have been doing something right.

Neither team looked like a Super Bowl winner.

Last edited:
You're right. Guys get fired all the time in the NFL, but a lot of the time it has to do with personality or a new coach coming in and wanting a friend of his, someone hes worked with before or someone with a more similar philosophy. When you get fired over and over because of your terrible results, its a different thing altogether. Arians has has good results most of his career and I was not happy when Pittsburgh didnt re-sign him as their offensive coordinator when his contract expired (he wasn't fired). Pittsburgh wanted Todd Haley whose father was a long time Steeler scout and Haley was good friends with the Rooneys.

The good news is that now the Ryans can only screw up 1 team instead of 2.

Well I wonder what the Jets think of him though.....Happy to be rid of him, but maybe don't want to play him either since his 2-0 record against them single handedly kept them out of the playoffs?
As a coach, Im not so worried about him, but the NFL is more bland without those types. That is what I miss about the 70s and 80s...Colorful personalities that weren't afraid to display it....and fat quarterbacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only did Ryan's Bills beat his old team (Jets) twice, they did it 22-17 both times. How many times do you think the final score is 22-17...and they did twice against the same team.

Not only did Ryan's Bills beat his old team (Jets) twice, they did it 22-17 both times. How many times do you think the final score is 22-17...and they did twice against the same team.

You certainly don't see that happening often.That has to be getting close to Lotto odds! :)

Rex is so crazy, if he had went 4-12 with those four wins being the Jets and Pats, he would have called that a very successful season. :)

BCS Championship Game Broadcast

I know this is an "NFL" thread....But, I couldn't find a BCS thread & didn't think it deserved one of its own. So, at the risk if derailing this thread---

I just watched the ESPN (That's 'Extremely Stupid Polluted Network') "Mega-Homers" broadcast of the championship game; one of several social media-polluted broadcasts by said network.

Man, what low rent production. Not only was half the screen full of crap that nobody wanted to see (Tweets by whoever, a news scroll across the bottom, etc.) but, we had to watch & listen to JV broadcasters ask cliche' questions to former players who, frankly, could barely put coherent comments together. :mad:

Thankfully, I could watch most of it slightly taped delayed so, I could FF through the visual & verbal clutter. But, the whole production (maybe it should be called a 'reduction') detracted from a fantastic BCS championship game.

Here's hoping that a real network broadcasts it next year.

OK...Rant Over. :facepalm:

Burfict got suspended for the first 3 games of next year but Antonio Brown is doubtful for the Denver game with a concussion. I dont see anyway Pittsburgh beats Denver without the best WR in football AND the best all around RB in football. Not too mention Roethlisberger has a sprained shoulder and is day to day. Its tough to win when your 3 top players are not playing or in severe pain. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, injuries are the number one factor in which of the good teams goes all the way.

Last edited:
I know this is an "NFL" thread....But, I couldn't find a BCS thread & didn't think it deserved one of its own. So, at the risk if derailing this thread---...

I usually watch that game but totally lost track of it this year. From what I just read it sounds like an entertaining game. It is hard for me to believe that the national college championship game is not broadcast on a major network. Sad.

I usually watch that game but totally lost track of it this year. From what I just read it sounds like an entertaining game. It is hard for me to believe that the national college championship game is not broadcast on a major network. Sad.

You know why I am sure... $$$$....ESPN is now a big boy...It can outbid those networks now for prime events.

Now that we know Kubiak has made his decision and Manning will be his starting QB this Sunday, it will be interesting to see if he (Manning) can hold up the entire game and what will Kubiak do, if Peyton "begins" having a bad day. We're into sudden death games now. One loss and you go home for the season. I'm wondering how much pressure Peyton was able to put on Kubiak.:) Office politics even in the NFL.....

I can almost hear Brock now using an old "theater idiom" wishing Peyton good luck when he says, "break a leg".

Last edited:
A good friend of mine originally from Montgomery texted two words: Roll Tide! That was one exciting game from two great teams.

+1

And what a contrast in the quality of sportsmanship compared to the gang warfare we saw between the professional thugs in the NFL game over the weekend.

Good thing it's only a couple of teams that display this thuggery in the NFL and not the whole league.....

I enjoyed the Tide-Tigers game although I was pulling for Clemson. Certainly more entertaining than most of the bowl games this year. We did have national TV coverage of the game on basic cable although not on an OTA channel which is maybe what pb4uski was alluding to.

Ah, an excuse to jump in when my tigers got a mention! (Not really much of an NFL fan) :)

Those guys played their hearts out, and it was a thrill to see them in the big game. Sad ending, but a good game, and certainly classier than the Steelers vs Bengals.

Really proud of them and their season. Watching how Dabo Sweeney teaches them brings back fond memories of watching Dean Smith and his basketball players at UNC when I was growing up.

Back
Top Bottom