Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Sorry.... But I am busy at the game!

Now THAT'S a fan!

I will discuss that with my friend Samuel Adams.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #882
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brady is just slicing the Chiefs zone coverage up. KC isn't out of it but.......
Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #883
Give me a forum ...

utrecht, at least for tomorrow, I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Go black and gold!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #884
Give me a forum ...

Well with the Patriots win today, I'm already equal with my overall picks from last week. (1 out of 4) I don't particularly like the Patriots but I bet on them anyway since I figured they would win. Terrible time management on KC's part in the last quarter.

Rooting for the Packers tonight. Broncos and the Panthers tomorrow.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #885
Moderator Emeritus

Now that was quite a game with Green Bay losing.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #886
Give me a forum ...

Very entertaining game. I didn't have a strong preference but it was exciting.

I don't understand that pass play call by Arizona on second down on their last possession of regulation time. A run there and they likely would have closed it out in regulation.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #887
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I don't understand that pass play call by Arizona on second down on their last possession of regulation time. A run there and they likely would have closed it out in regulation.
I doubt if they (Arizona) understood it either.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #888

Quote:
utrecht, at least for tomorrow, I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Go black and gold!
I dont know why. Pittsburgh (with a healthy Ben, Antonio Brown and DeAngelo Williams) are a bigger threat than Denver with a weak armed and immobile Manning at QB. I honestly think Pittsburgh only has about a 10% chance of winning today with all the injuries, but if they do the AFC Championship game will be a war. All three should be healthy if they can get another week to heal.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #889

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Maybe only 7 TDs but many more long returns. I can't see why you want to eliminate the kickoff. If you think it's boring why not modify the rules to make it more exciting. What would you propose if it is eliminated, spot the ball on the 20 YD line?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I don't think they should eliminate the kick-off but they should tweak the rules to change team incentives:

Just like you can't kick it out of bounds on the sides, if kicking team kicks it out of the back of the end zone on the fly, ball get spotted at the 40 (35?).

If the return team takes a knee in the end zone, ball gets spotted at the 10 instead of the 20.

You instantly guarantee that almost every kick-off gets run back.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I doubt if they (Arizona) understood it either.
Yes, so bizarre it almost seemed like they miscommunicated the play when they sent it in.

Say what you want about Peyton Manning, in that circumstance he would have said "that dumb" and audibled a run.

If the Cards had gone on to lose it would have cost people their jobs. Now it's just a head scratching curiosity.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #891
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Agree, that pass seemed like a dumb play call "at that point in the game". Terrible time management call. Of course, I was glad they did it since I "had" money on the Packers. (emphasis on "had" the money.)

But yes, it was an entertaining game.

I'll remember that last Hail Mary pass for a long time. Unbelievable pass and catch. Then there was the OT coin toss that didn't flip. Also a couple of questionable calls (or no calls). That's football.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I don't think they should eliminate the kick-off but they should tweak the rules to change team incentives:

Just like you can't kick it out of bounds on the sides, if kicking team kicks it out of the back of the end zone on the fly, ball get spotted at the 40 (35?).

If the return team takes a knee in the end zone, ball gets spotted at the 10 instead of the 20.

You instantly guarantee that almost every kick-off gets run back.
I would be fine with that, but it goes directly in the face of why they moved the kickoff up a few years ago. The NFL is doing everything they can to lower the amount if injuries. There were a ridiculous amount of injuries on kickoff returns because both teams are running full speed directly at each other like oncoming trains. So they moved the kickoff up so a lot more kickoffs would go into the end zone and there would be less run backs. They accomplished that but now most kickoffs are downed in the end zone and the ones that aren't almost always are returned to within 5 yards of the 20 anyway. So just eliminate the kickoff altogether. Its boring.

They moved the extra point back because it was so boring and the result was the same almost every single time. Now the kickoff result is the same almost every time.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #893

The Steelers will be the first team ever to play a playoff game without their leading wide receiver AND leading rusher. Not to mention their QB has only thrown the ball a few times since last week cuz his shoulder is about to fall off. For a rabid fan who waits all season to get to this point, this is brutal. I cant imagine what the actual players feel like.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I dont know why. Pittsburgh (with a healthy Ben, Antonio Brown and DeAngelo Williams) are a bigger threat than Denver with a weak armed and immobile Manning at QB. I honestly think Pittsburgh only has about a 10% chance of winning today with all the injuries, but if they do the AFC Championship game will be a war. All three should be healthy if they can get another week to heal.
I prefer a matchup against the Steelers as well even with all of their key players healthy. It will be much more entertaining game than playing Denver.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Agree, that pass seemed like a dumb play call "at that point in the game". Terrible time management call. Of course, I was glad they did it since I "had" money on the Packers. (emphasis on "had" the money.)
What about the terrible time mismanagement by Andy Reid and the Chiefs at the end of their game
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
What about the terrible time mismanagement by Andy Reid and the Chiefs at the end of their game
Thats was the worst I can ever remember in a playoff game.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #897
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I prefer a matchup against the Steelers as well even with all of their key players healthy. It will be much more entertaining game than playing Denver.
+1 I prefer the Steelers because 1) it would then be a home game for NE and they play well at home and 2) I think the Steelers are an easier win than the Broncos, particularly if their key players are still banged up from today's game. So my best case scenario is that the Steelers win in a tough, hard-fought game today.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #898

Hard to believe that the Packers managed to come through with two last play Hail Marys this year. Maybe they should just put it in as a regular play. I think that was an 'all's well that ends well' kind of a finish. The Arizona incomplete pass on second down and two terrible no calls on pass interference against the Cards, the coin toss and then the breakdown by the Packers on the 71 yard pass play in overtime. Was like a college game with all the miscues and drama.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

But yes, it was an entertaining game.

I'll remember that last Hail Mary pass for a long time. Unbelievable pass and catch. Then there was the OT coin toss that didn't flip. Also a couple of questionable calls (or no calls). That's football.

You knew the game was pressure packed intensity when the official couldn't execute the coin flip correctly. Unlike the actual participants of the game he can call a "do over".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The Steelers will be the first team ever to play a playoff game without their leading wide receiver AND leading rusher. Not to mention their QB has only thrown the ball a few times since last week cuz his shoulder is about to fall off. For a rabid fan who waits all season to get to this point, this is brutal. I cant imagine what the actual players feel like.

I would imagine the fans are feeling the stress more than the players, as they are powerless. Every coach worth his salt at beginning of season preaches "next man up" because they know these things happens. The teams that buy into that approach the most are the teams that benefit the greatest when it ever happens.. Daunting situation, none the less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote