Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2015 Season
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NFL: 2015 Season

I'm starting this new thread today, instead of waiting for the NFL Kickoff Game a few weeks down the road between the defending NFL Champions New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers Sept. 10, because today the NFL came out with its first Power Rankings of the season and, aside from the Hall of Fame Game just played, the preseason games start this weekend. (The NFL: 2014 Season thread here at the ER Forum used the weekly Power Rankings as a weekly bumper and topic starter.) The Top 10 are:
  1. GB
  2. SEA
  3. IND
  4. NE
  5. DAL
  6. ARI
  7. DEN
  8. KC
  9. PIT
  10. CIN
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the winner of the week 2 game between GB and SEA at Lambeau will go on to the Superbowl. The winner of that game will get the home field advantage throughout the playoffs and that is key to getting to the Superbowl. As long as one of them beats NE, i'll be happy.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Dallas is way over rated. They lost one of the best RBs in the NFL (DeMarco Murray) and replaced him with Darren McFadden? They also have their best linebacker suspended for a bunch of games.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think the winner of the week 2 game between GB and SEA at Lambeau will go on to the Superbowl. ....
I'll bet you that the winner of the NFC Championship will go on to the Superbowl.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Dallas is way over rated. They lost one of the best RBs in the NFL (DeMarco Murray) and replaced him with Darren McFadden? They also have their best linebacker suspended for a bunch of games.

I wonder if their defense will hold up again. Quite a turnaround from previous couple years. Personally, I don't think they are the most overrated team on the above list. I would however be willing to make a serious bet Arizona will not be considered #6 ranked team come end of the year though. Teams that squeak out a bunch of wins typically fall back the following year and Vegas has their over/under pegged at 8.5 which is where I would have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the Panthers and Bills will do better than Pittsburgh and The Bengals, and I don't think they're top ten teams.

I do expect the Vikings to crack the top ten.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Last year they were way under rated and look what happened. As you probably know RBs have been devalued throughout the NFL, so it will be interesting to see how Cowboys RB by committee performs. From my viewpoint, the OL makes for great RBs, as well as QBs.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #8

Go Cardinals!! Last year was such a fizzle. I hope they stay healthy this year.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I think the Panthers and Bills will do better than Pittsburgh and The Bengals, and I don't think they're top ten teams.

I do expect the Vikings to crack the top ten.
I agree that Cincy is overrated, Buf is def underrated and Minn might be under rated.

But Pittsburgh had the #2 offense last year and hasn't lost anyone. Their defense was mediocre and they drafted almost all defense, and traded for Brandon Boykin who is rated the #1 slot CB in the NFL, so I see them remaining a playoff team / top 10 team.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Last year they were way under rated and look what happened. As you probably know RBs have been devalued throughout the NFL, so it will be interesting to see how Cowboys RB by committee performs. From my viewpoint, the OL makes for great RBs, as well as QBs.
One thing is for sure, we will find out this year if Murray made the OL or if the OL made Murray.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
But Pittsburgh had the #2 offense last year and hasn't lost anyone...
The Steelers lost their field goal kicker, Shaun Suisham. I think he is irreplaceable.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

The Bears, well, uh, but....well they might be a little better than last year. Still have to watch.

However, have the unusual problem of having to watch both the Cubs and the Bears this time of year.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The Steelers lost their field goal kicker, Shaun Suisham. I think he is irreplaceable.
He's a very good kicker, but come on, irreplaceable? He's a friggin kicker.
They will find a veteran to replace him with. Shayne Graham, Billy Cundiff and Jay Feely are all unsigned. Not to mention some rookies that are in other teams' camps that wont make the team.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree that Cincy is overrated, Buf is def underrated and Minn might be under rated.

But Pittsburgh had the #2 offense last year and hasn't lost anyone. Their defense was mediocre and they drafted almost all defense, and traded for Brandon Boykin who is rated the #1 slot CB in the NFL, so I see them remaining a playoff team / top 10 team.

If Pitt makes playoffs they will have earned it. A very brutal schedule. That is why their Vegas over/under was set at 8.5, despite winning double digits last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's too early for me to make my Superbowl picks or any "serious" weekend game bets. At this point I'll just go with my favorites, Dallas, Denver and New Orleans and hope they have a good year.

My biggest hope for the season is that the officiating is better this year. I don't have a big problem with the close calls but obvious bad calls ruin the game.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

Hoping that all the NFL news will be on the field.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
The Bears, well, uh, but....well they might be a little better than last year. Still have to watch.

However, have the unusual problem of having to watch both the Cubs and the Bears this time of year.
The Bears' defense can't be any worse than last year.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The Bears' defense can't be any worse than last year.
You should be right. But it's a 3-4 this year - a whole new scheme. A lot of new people and some old people in new positions. Jared Allen as an outside linebacker. I just hope that they run the ball more to slow the game down and keep their defense off the field.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
You should be right. But it's a 3-4 this year - a whole new scheme. A lot of new people and some old people in new positions. Jared Allen as an outside linebacker. I just hope that they run the ball more to slow the game down and keep their defense off the field.
I see the whole new scheme as a positive. The cover 2 was great when Urlacher and Briggs were around and young. But that was a long long time ago.

I really haven't given the Bears much thought as I think this year is pretty much a loss (they are just waiting for Cutler's overpaid contract to end and I bet won't keep Forte after this year). I wish Cutler was already gone.

For me, my interests are in other things like waiting for my heart to get broken again with the high flying Cubbies .
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The winner of that game will get the home field advantage throughout the playoffs and that is key to getting to the Superbowl.
Or maybe not - Why home-field advantage doesn’t really matter in the NFL Playoffs | For The Win
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote