Join Early Retirement Today

NFL: 2019 Season
Old 02-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

NFL: 2019 Season

49ers placed franchise tag on Robbie Gould.

Oh well , there goes the reunion with Da Bears.. at least for 2019.

Quote:
With that, the Niners become the first team to use the franchise tag this offseason. Gould will earn roughly $5M in 2019 on the tender, unless the two sides avoid the tag with an extension.

Gould has nailed 72 of 75 field goal attempts over the last two years with the Niners, and he ranks as the second-most accurate kicker in NFL history. That’s especially impressive when considering that Gould has spent eleven of his 14 seasons kicking out of Soldier Field with the Bears.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...aG8?li=BBnba9I
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
49ers placed franchise tag on Robbie Gould.
Franchising a placekicker? That tells you a lot about the 49ers and their own expectations of red zone failure.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Franchising a placekicker? That tells you a lot about the 49ers and their own expectations of red zone failure.
It's been done in the past and happens more often than you probably realize.

More likely the 49ers don't need their franchise tag for any other position, and want to retain control over Gould's services. They could pay him a lot this year, or could still sign and trade him.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think Gould recently spotted in Chicago and saying things like "Once a Bear, always a Bear" might have nudged the 49ers to tag him .

I wish he would've returned to the Bears, but that's business.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gronk announced his retirement. Great player.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Gronk announced his retirement. Great player.
He was fun.

Good for him. I assume he starts his new career as an action movie hero soon.

Pats will still reach the Super Bowl this season. Need to find a new tight end first.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Here is his Instagram announcement:

Quote:
It all started at 20 years old on stage at the NFL draft when my dream came true, and now here I am about to turn 30 in a few months with a decision I feel is the biggest of my life so far. I will be retiring from the game of football today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick gave to me when drafting my silliness in 2010. My life experiences over the last 9 years have been amazing both on and off the field. The people I have meet, the relationships I have built, the championships I have been apart of, I just want to thank the whole New England Patriots organization for every opportunity I have been giving and learning the great values of life that I can apply to mine. Thank you to all of Pats Nation around the world for the incredible support since I have been apart of this 1st class organization. Thank you for everyone accepting who I am and the dedication I have put into my work to be the best player I could be. But now its time to move forward and move forward with a big smile knowing that the New England Patriots Organization, Pats Nation, and all my fans will be truly a big part of my heart for rest of my life. It was truly an incredible honor to play for such a great established organization and able to come in to continue and contribute to keep building success. To all my current and past teammates, thank you for making each team every year special to be apart of. I will truly miss you guys. Cheers to all who have been part of this journey, cheers to the past for the incredible memories, and a HUGE cheers to the uncertain of whats next.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
....More likely the 49ers don't need their franchise tag for any other position, and want to retain control over Gould's services. They could pay him a lot this year, or could still sign and trade him.
Exactly. The Niners are still in rebuild mode and the only players that are absolute keepers are Jimmy Garoppolo and Joe Staley. It takes 3 yrs to learn Shanahan's offense so JG is only in year 2. Staley wants to retire a Niner and is reaching the end of his career anyway.

Gould's consistency was $$$ in the bank which took a lot of pressure off a young team struggling to learn how to be a cohesive offense. Better to tag him a franchise player for this year and try to find a replacement to work in from FA, or as pointed out above, trade him.

Per Fansided, back in Jan 2019:
"According to Over the Cap, the Niners are slated to have $62,029,329 in total cap space against a $190 million cap in 2019. That number includes the roughly $42.7 million in 2018 carryover, and 49ers CEO Jed York reiterated a few years ago his team always carries over unused space into the following season.

That number sits eighth highest in the league heading into the offseason. It’s a good position for San Francisco to be in, considering the team has more than a handful of needs in 2019 and will likely be more aggressive in NFL free agency than they were just shy of a year ago at this time. "

Niners are fighting the AZ Cardinals to avoid being the team who is dead last in the NFC West in 2019. They are not a match for the Rams or even the gradually deteriorating Seahawks (as long as Russell Wilson can remain upright, which is becoming questionable if he doesn't get a better front line).

The Niners' secret weapon is Seahawks GM John Schneider. He has made some very iffy decisions over the last few years that have hurt that team.
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Pats will still reach the Super Bowl this season. .
Well..............goes without saying doesn't it?

[Full disclosure, nephew works for the Pats]
2019 NFL Pre-Season
Old 07-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #10

2019 NFL Pre-Season

The NFL Pre-Season starts tomorrow, Thursday, with DEN vs. ATL in the Hall of Fame Game at Canton, Ohio. Here we go, folks!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Going to Bears practice today. Let's see if they can meet the high expectations for this year.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Pats will still reach the Super Bowl this season. ...
Heard a funny one the other day.

Me: I can't wait for Patriots Day on February 2nd.
Friend: Patriot's Day... what's that? A new holiday?
Me: Oops, sorry... the rest of they world knows it as Super Bowl Sunday.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hoping my NHL luck spills over to NFL this year. Won my Blues season point total bet and then in February in Tahoe on a flyer, put $200 on them at 50-1. So this year I am taking 8.5 Cowboys over, and split ticket 7.5/8 Titans over.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:44 AM   #14
gone traveling

My Browns will finally have a winning season, after years of heartbreak, and multiple mediocre quarterbacks. I think many of the pieces are in place, and the proper mindset for a run into the playoffs this season....can't wait !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Well the Bengals wont be giving the Browns a run for their money this year. AJ Green is out through at least half of the year and a few weeks ago their first round draft pick got injured and out for the year. New head coach and staff. They might win 7 games.

I pull for the Falcons (cause I'm a gluton for punishment and just cant hear enough 28 - 3 jokes) Originally from that area and been following them since they played in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Falcons are healthy right now, and all the injured defensive guys from last year are back. Offense has revamped the O-line (spent two first round picks just for the line) so I have high hopes the offense will shine this year. But, the Saints will be hard to topple for the Division, but here's hoping we don't just roll over and hand it to them.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #16

NFL Power Rankings: Week 1

Just out, now that the preseason games have ended (as of yesterday): NFL Power Rankings: Week 1

1. NE
  2. KC
  3. NO
  4. LAR
  5. PHI
  6. LAC
  7. CHI
  8. DAL
  9. CLE
  10. MIN
  11. SEA
  12. BAL
  13. JAX
  14. PIT
  15. HOU
  16. GB
  17. NYG
  18. ATL
  19. DEN
  20. NYJ
  21. TEN
  22. IND
  23. CAR
  24. TB
  25. WAS
  26. BUF
  27. SF
  28. CIN
  29. DET
  30. MIA
  31. OAK
  32. ARI
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Falcons let their kicker since 2009 (Matt Bryant who is 44 yeas old) go in the off season for a younger guy. Yeah...... that's not working out so well, so now they have brought Matt Bryant back in for a workout and probable inking of a new contract. Falcon fans call him "money Matt" not because of his contract but because he very rarely misses.

Looking forward to this season. Revamped O-line and the defense finally looks like it could be top 10.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm looking forward to the regular season starting. I hate preseason games. I just can't get into them. Unfortunately for me I'll be deployed with the army for nearly the entire regular season, so in addition to taking a 50% pay cut while I'm gone, I don't know if I'll be able to catch any games. Bummer.

Andrew Luck retired. Less than 24 hours prior my brother-in-law drafted him in his fantasy football league. I couldn't stop myself from laughing at his misfortune.

As an Eagles fan, I'm uneasy about Wentz's health. If he stays healthy, I think we'll go far this season. If not, well, the depth isn't there like it has been the last two years.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
I'm looking forward to the regular season starting. I hate preseason games. I just can't get into them. Unfortunately for me I'll be deployed with the army for nearly the entire regular season, so in addition to taking a 50% pay cut while I'm gone, I don't know if I'll be able to catch any games. Bummer.

Andrew Luck retired. Less than 24 hours prior my brother-in-law drafted him in his fantasy football league. I couldn't stop myself from laughing at his misfortune.

As an Eagles fan, I'm uneasy about Wentz's health. If he stays healthy, I think we'll go far this season. If not, well, the depth isn't there like it has been the last two years.
Stay safe “Hawkeye!”
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If pre-season play is any indication of regular season play, the Texans are ranked at least 15 slots to high in the power rankings. Yes I know they aren't playing their starters very much in pre-season, and they don't have their "act" together yet, but their second and third stringers are pretty bad. Got to admit, the Cowboys didn't look much better.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote