NFL

If it were a high school game it might have ended sooner because the "blowout rules" would kick in and the second half would feature a clock that never stopped.... :LOL:

Some of our Texas high schools specialize in deliverying blowout victories, even when the 2nd string comes in the 2nd half:LOL:

Big Seattle victory parade today. Somewhere between 500,000 and I,000,000 people expected to attend. I turned local TV on, town is already mobbed.

Hard to imagine that many people, I doubt there has ever been a crowd that large anywhere in Seattle. Our entire metro is about 3.5mm, city of Seattle 635,000, and actual downtown residents >60,000 and growing rapidly.

For most of the game, he really didn't get many touches. Usually Peyton had to check down for the underneath stuff because he didn't have the time. He was looking for Thomas (#88) for most of the game, it seemed.

Thomas had 13 receptions (a SB record?) and Welker had 8. Once they got so far behind, it took any running game they might have had out of the picture, which allowed Seattle to attack the ends of the o-line, with great success. And, as someone else pointed out, once the pocket collapsed, bad stuff began to happen, such as sacks, deflections, rushes, and fumbles. Manning is NOT mobile...

Big Seattle victory parade today. Somewhere between 500,000 and I,000,000 people expected to attend. I turned local TV on, town is already mobbed.

This is one of those days I should have biked to work. Fortunately, I made it through downtown without too much delay, maybe about 20 min or so. It's busy out there. Our bus was packed and couldn't pick up any more people. I hope the following busses have room. I hear that there are lengthy lines for the the busses and ferries on the east side/peninsula.

Police estimate 700,000 people in downtown Seattle for the parade and festivities. Not bad for a city with a population a little above 500,000. Let's hope our own HA makes it home alive. :D

Most watched and likely one of the worst super bowls ever to watch (unless of course you are a Hawks fan). But if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt, it stunk.
Yes, I am replying to a relatively 'old" post about SB48, but here in Seattle we 12s are still rejoicing two weeks after. (Doesn't hurt that the NFL TV Network has been featuring Seahawk team members the past couple of weeks.)

But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/the Internet the past two weeks, with so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?

It was ballyhooed as the greatest offensive team in NFL history against a good defensive team. If you are truly a lover of a football game well-played, then why didn't you enjoy this game? A team played this game to near-perfection, offensively, defensively, and via special teams: the Seattle Seahawks! It was a thing of beauty!

'Sound FX': Super Bowl XLVIII Seattle Seahawks vs Denver Broncos - YouTube

Last edited:
But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/Internet by so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwa0WI36qeA

People like sports for the drama. no drama, no fun. don't take it personal.

People like sports for the drama. no drama, no fun. don't take it personal.

This. The fact that the game was a clunker has nothing to do with who won and there's no reason to interpret it as disappointment about who won. While you like to see good plays on both sides of the ball, most folks with "no dog in the hunt" would prefer to see a more competitive game.

As a long time Seahawks fan, I agree. Sure the defense played perfectly. But I was disappointed in the Broncos not making it exciting. Also how did the odds makers get it so wrong?

I won the pool based on total points by quarter twice. So it was not a total loss.

I was honestly shocked at how little zip Peyton Manning was getting on his downfield passes. It's not fair to judge a HOF career based on a single game against a top-notch defense, but it had me wondering just how many years Manning has left. If he loses any more velocity, even average defenses are going to play tight coverage and dare him to beat them with the long throws.

As a long time Seahawks fan, I agree. Sure the defense played perfectly. But I was disappointed in the Broncos not making it exciting. Also how did the odds makers get it so wrong?

I won the pool based on total points by quarter twice. So it was not a total loss.

I do not think the oddsmakers got it wrong or at least not in their mind. Actually the Vegas Books cashed big time on Super Bowl. They typically try to balance action and just take the 10% vig. But this time after the initial line jump, they held at Denver minus 3/2.5 despite big money continuing to flow to Denver. If memory serves me they collected over 20 million off a near 100 million handle.

I do not think the oddsmakers got it wrong or at least not in their mind. Actually the Vegas Books cashed big time on Super Bowl. They typically try to balance action and just take the 10% vig.

Good point. In reality, if the sports books have a vested financial interest in the outcome of the game, then they failed to keep the book "balanced" so they would have virtually no risk and could pocket their 10%.

Ideally if $2 million came in, they'd keep a $1 million overall payout on either side of the wager and pocket $200,000 with no risk. Of course it's not usually that exact, but it's usually close enough that the house can't "lose". They may make a little more or a little less than their 10% of the action, but rarely is it so lopsided that they could lose money overall.

It was a thing of beauty!

Yes, I am replying to a relatively 'old" post about SB48, but here in Seattle we 12s are still rejoicing two weeks after. (Doesn't hurt that the NFL TV Network has been featuring Seahawk team members the past couple of weeks.)

But I just needed to respond to the post that this SB 'stunk"--even "if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt." It represents the sentiment I have seen on TV/the Internet the past two weeks, with so many saying the same thing: that this was a 'horrible game,' even if you otherwise enjoy football.

What the?

It was ballyhooed as the greatest offensive team in NFL history against a good defensive team. If you are truly a lover of a football game well-played, then why didn't you enjoy this game? A team played this game to near-perfection, offensively, defensively, and via special teams: the Seattle Seahawks! It was a thing of beauty!

'Sound FX': Super Bowl XLVIII Seattle Seahawks vs Denver Broncos - YouTube

Great post, It was a thing of beauty!

What the?

LOL:LOL::LOL::LOL:, I understand your exhuberance, however, you need to get over your local team bias and not get so spun up over a post that probably represented the feeling of most football purists. Totally one sided games become uninteresting very quickly.

Yes, one sided games do get boring quickly. And we can blame the latest SuperBore on Denver. On their very first play they scored for the opposing team! What is that about? And, then in the 2nd half when they desperately need to put points on the board early and keep the Seahawks from scoring anymore, they give up a kick-off touchdown! Did they think this was a friendly scrimmage with the local community college team?
As the Denver paper said: SEASICK!

OTOH, that band of coffee slurping, salmon smoking, nerdy lumberjacks didn't do half bad.

Last edited:
Chuckanut you have the bigger view for sure, history. DFW we agree a good game is intersting and tense. Watching history is great as well. That was a once in alife time event in many ways.
Seattle is still a buzz and willl be for sometime, good for them they deserve it.
I watched the Sound FX 2Xs amzing game. On any given day as they say.

Now that I' m retired and I live 10 minutes from the Patriots training facility at Gillette stadium I've been to a couple of practices. The defense looks pretty good with the addition of Revis and Browner and if Gronk stays healthy (a big if) they should hopefully contend for the superbowl.

I lived in Boston when it was called Schaefer Stadium. How is the quarterback situation looking?

I lived in Boston when it was called Schaefer Stadium. How is the quarterback situation looking?

Brady is the man for the next couple of years anyways and he looks in great shape but I 'm not sure about the backup situation both Mallet and the new rookie they drafted are not ready for primetime. I hope Brady stays healthy or they're in big trouble.

I just saw a news item about Da Bears training camp. Boy, summers blow by!

Well tell they are looking primed and ready to go as I got $1200 on them to go at least 9-7 this year (8-8, I get my money back).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom