Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Just havin fun with ya. Thanks for being a good sport.
Take care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Never in my wildest dreams did I think they could rip Denver apart like they did.
One of my sons texted me late in the 4th quarter. He said "I've been a Seahawks fan for30 years and I never in a thousand years would have imagined the way this game is going."

I think all of us had high hopes, but perhaps no one had any expectations that things might go this way.

Super high mood in town last night and all day today. Parade Wednesday from Seattle Center to the stadium.

Ha

Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

The two best teams were Seattle and the 49'ers.....too bad they couldn't have met in the last game.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Broncos now hold a record of sorts: 7 SB appearances with only 2 wins.
And Welker is 0-3 so far in Super Bowls. He must think he is jinxed (all the way to the bank).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #265
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since Turboslacker took me to the woodshed for my un-Nostradamus like predictions, I'm going to brag a bit. I was in Vegas during the conference championship games and had big bets on Denver and Seattle.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

BTW: this Super Bowl was the most-watched TV event in history.

Go Hawks!
Most watched and likely one of the worst super bowls ever to watch (unless of course you are a Hawks fan). But if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt, it stunk.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
But if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt, it stunk.
This, plus the commercials were mediocre at best in the aggregate.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This, plus the commercials were mediocre at best in the aggregate.
At least now I know who Bruno Mars is.

I intended to skip (time shifted with DVR) the halftime, but the game was so one sided and commercials not too good.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And Welker is 0-3 so far in Super Bowls. He must think he is jinxed (all the way to the bank).
Ironically, Welker had a decent game. As for the rest of Denver, fumbles, interceptions, missed tackles, and a general lack of killer instinct... On several plays, Denver completed a quick pass in the seam, and instead of driving forward to get the first down, they juked around and didn't. About the third time I noticed it, even Troy Aikman commented on it...

As good a game as Seattle played, if Denver had shown up, it might have at least been competitive.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Ironically, Welker had a decent game.
For most of the game, he really didn't get many touches. Usually Peyton had to check down for the underneath stuff because he didn't have the time. He was looking for Thomas (#88) for most of the game, it seemed.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

I get my morning news from "CBS This Morning" and there was a quick mention about the Seahawks deciphering Mannings hand signals. In other words, knowing the plays ahead of time. So, I had to go and look it up:

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks have revealed that a good part of their defensive strategy at the Super Bowl came from the fact that they were able to decode Peyton Manning's hand signals on the field.

Controversial corner back Richard Sherman said that he and his fellow defenders cracked the code that the Denver Broncos quarterback was using, meaning that they knew exactly what to expect for each play.

'We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half,' he said.
Seahawks' Richard Sherman says they 'cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code in Super Bowl' | Mail Online

All is fair at love, war and the Super Bowl
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #272

Last night's Letterman Top Ten list was something like "Top ten things heard on the Broncos sideline".

I laughed at one that I think was used twice:

"When does the game start?"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Last night's Letterman Top Ten list was something like "Top ten things heard on the Broncos sideline".

I laughed at one that I think was used twice:

"When does the game start?"

Or "When does this game end..."

Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Since Turboslacker took me to the woodshed for my un-Nostradamus like predictions, I'm going to brag a bit. I was in Vegas during the conference championship games and had big bets on Denver and Seattle.

Nicely done cha-ching $$
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Most watched and likely one of the worst super bowls ever to watch (unless of course you are a Hawks fan). But if you are just a football lover with no dog in the hunt, it stunk.

Or if you hate great Defense.
I too prefer a closer game with uncertainty right up to the end. After that, a great Defense impresses me.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or "When does this game end..."
If it were a high school game it might have ended sooner because the "blowout rules" would kick in and the second half would feature a clock that never stopped....

Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #277

Quote:
If it were a high school game it might have ended sooner because the "blowout rules" would kick in and the second half would feature a clock that never stopped....
Some of our Texas high schools specialize in deliverying blowout victories, even when the 2nd string comes in the 2nd half
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Big Seattle victory parade today. Somewhere between 500,000 and I,000,000 people expected to attend. I turned local TV on, town is already mobbed.

Hard to imagine that many people, I doubt there has ever been a crowd that large anywhere in Seattle. Our entire metro is about 3.5mm, city of Seattle 635,000, and actual downtown residents >60,000 and growing rapidly.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For most of the game, he really didn't get many touches. Usually Peyton had to check down for the underneath stuff because he didn't have the time. He was looking for Thomas (#88) for most of the game, it seemed.
Thomas had 13 receptions (a SB record?) and Welker had 8. Once they got so far behind, it took any running game they might have had out of the picture, which allowed Seattle to attack the ends of the o-line, with great success. And, as someone else pointed out, once the pocket collapsed, bad stuff began to happen, such as sacks, deflections, rushes, and fumbles. Manning is NOT mobile...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #280
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Big Seattle victory parade today. Somewhere between 500,000 and I,000,000 people expected to attend. I turned local TV on, town is already mobbed.

This is one of those days I should have biked to work. Fortunately, I made it through downtown without too much delay, maybe about 20 min or so. It's busy out there. Our bus was packed and couldn't pick up any more people. I hope the following busses have room. I hear that there are lengthy lines for the the busses and ferries on the east side/peninsula.