Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Soon San Francisco will pay the price for damming Yosemite National Park. 😃

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

It's actually a fairly common thing - Denver is doing the same thing.

Go Hawks!
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
It's actually a fairly common thing - Denver is doing the same thing.

Go Hawks!
If a landlord was refusing to rent to people other than from their home state people would be screaming discrimination - why should a sports team be any different?

I'm rooting for the Pats but I have reservations. The have looked real good at times but quite shaky at other times.

I admire how well they have done given the extent of injuries to key players. They are well prepared, play good team ball and are pretty disciplined. I'm not sure if they will win but they did beat up on Denver in the second half of the regular season meeting at Gillette so I am hopeful.

Seattle look like the cream of the NFC.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If a landlord was refusing to rent to people other than from their home state people would be screaming discrimination - why should a sports team be any different?
I'm not going to defend their tactic, but there are at least two major differences. First, there are federal and (generally) state laws concerning housing discrimination and there are none for buying tickets to an event. Secondly, housing is considered an essential good, a necessity; buying a football ticket is very much a discretionary item, a luxury if you will.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Probably won't get a chance to find out if we are paired up against our kryptonite, the LA Kings in the first round..
Your Blues will destroy them.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Don't they all in time? Today's new mobile QBs, though exciting, will all become more immobile with age I'd think.
My not-so-humble opinion is that a mobile QB is something else for the defense to think about, and is therefore a potent weapon. But the Wilsons and Kaepernicks and RGIIIs of the NFL will eventually find that running out in the open field, no matter that they are indeed bigger and stronger than QBs of the past, will lead to injuries and a shortening of careers. Having a mobile QB should be an option, likely a third option. Assuming the QB is just another RB is, well, kind of dumb as a strategy.

BTW, my pick is SF and Denver for the SB, with a slight nod to Denver to win.

Go Cowboys!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Kaepernick tends to give himself up before contact which avoids the punishment (unlike Cam Newton who challenges the tacklers). Wilson is more a scrambler that looks to pass. But the strategy against the read option is to punish the QB when possible as that's one reason the option wasn't featured so much this year.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Kaepernick tends to give himself up before contact which avoids the punishment (unlike Cam Newton who challenges the tacklers). Wilson is more a scrambler that looks to pass. But the strategy against the read option is to punish the QB when possible as that's one reason the option wasn't featured so much this year.
I am not a Redskins fan, but it saddens me every time I see RGIII play now. He was as amazing as Kaepernick, Wilson and the others his rookie year before his injury, but now it appears his career potential has really been cut short.

It's too bad injuries are basically unavoidable in football, I hate to see any of them get hurt. When I see a fan applaud or cheer when an opposing player is injured (at sports bars), it makes me sick to my stomach. Fortunately it's a minority who react that way...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Nothing against SF or Seattle, but the superbowl before the superbowl is this Sunday. Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Brady.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I am really looking forward to the AFC championship game. But we don't want to see the Pats or Manning lose, so we can't root for or against. It could be a classic...

And hopefully we get a great SB no matter which two advance this weekend.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #71

Quote:
I am not a Redskins fan, but it saddens me every time I see RGIII play now. He was as amazing as Kaepernick, Wilson and the others his rookie year before his injury, but now it appears his career potential has really been cut short.

It's too bad injuries are basically unavoidable in football, I hate to see any of them get hurt. When I see a fan applaud or cheer when an opposing player is injured (at sports bars), it makes me sick to my stomach. Fortunately it's a minority who react that way...
RGIII's career has been cut short due to Shanahan keeping him in the game when he was badly limping and injured. At the time some people on this board including me called for Shanahan's firing for jeopardizing the health and future of his star quarterback not to mention the future success of the franchise.

A year later Shanahan got fired but I doubt if RGIII will ever be the promising quarterback he was.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
RGIII's career has been cut short due to Shanahan keeping him in the game when he was badly limping and injured. At the time some people on this board including me called for Shanahan's firing for jeopardizing the health and future of his star quarterback not to mention the future success of the franchise.

A year later Shanahan got fired but I doubt if RGIII will ever be the promising quarterback he was.
Not that again, they're BOTH responsible for what happened. That's last years debate...and very sad.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Nothing against SF or Seattle, but the superbowl before the superbowl is this Sunday. Brady vs Manning, Manning vs Brady.
It should be a great game as they always are when these two great QBs meet. Brady's teams have the edge 10-4 against Manning's teams. After Sunday I hope it will be 11-4.

Go PATS.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am really looking forward to the AFC championship game. But we don't want to see the Pats or Manning lose, so we can't root for or against. It could be a classic...

And hopefully we get a great SB no matter which two advance this weekend.
No dog in the hunt, but I think the four best of this season are where they should be. And, in another ten years or so, we might be talking about Kaepernick and Wilson the way we talk about Brady/Manning now.

Or not...

And, in the meantime,, a little QB humor:

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It should be a great game as they always are when these two great QBs meet. Brady's teams have the edge 10-4 against Manning's teams. After Sunday I hope it will be 11-4.

Go PATS.
I think adding the the drama is that their styles are quite different. Brady's more the one with great mechanics and Manning with all the audibles.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No dog in the hunt, but I think the four best of this season are where they should be. And, in another ten years or so, we might be talking about Kaepernick and Wilson the way we talk about Brady/Manning now.

Or not...

And, in the meantime,, a little QB humor:

Funny....
In my opinion this game means more to Manning's legacy than Brady's. If Peyton loses after such a tremendous regular season's performance he will always be considered a great regular season QB while Brady, whether he wins the Superbowl or not, will be the great playoffs QB.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Funny....
In my opinion this game means more to Manning's legacy than Brady's. If Peyton loses after such a tremendous regular season's performance he will always be considered a great regular season QB while Brady, whether he wins the Superbowl or not, will be the great playoffs QB.
It's been 10 years since Brady's last Super Bowl win, and the two SB losses to Eli were embarrassing to put it mildly. They both have a lot at stake, that's why I hate to see either lose this weekend...

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I remember a playoff game against Pittsburgh where Drew Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in and won the game. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If Peyton loses after such a tremendous regular season's performance he will always be considered a great regular season QB while Brady, whether he wins the Superbowl or not, will be the great playoffs QB.
Joe Montana calling. Hello, 4-0 in Super Bowls?

Quote:
that's why I hate to see either lose this weekend...
That makes one of us. I never hate to see the Brady-Belichick Patriots lose.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
That makes one of us. I never hate to see the Brady-Belichick Patriots lose.
What do you really think?

DW grew up in New England and her entire family are lifelong Pats fans.

I know why, but it's funny how people like or despise the Pats/Belichick, very few are indifferent.

Maybe this will help you dislike both this years AFC championship teams Peyton Manning ranks Bill Belichick as greatest coach in NFL history - latimes.com