Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They tried to pay it back by ruling Seattle recovered their own fumble at the 1 yard line when the replay clearly showed that was a garbage call, but the Seahawks refused to accept the gift and fumbled away the next play on 4th down...
The bad calls being referneced in the Pittsburgh / Seattle Super Bowl were judgement calls (holding and Pass Interference IIRC). Of course Seattle fans thought they were bad. They were questionable but not that bad.

The bad call from the fumble yesterday was horrific. The dude was laying on the field with the ball for a good 3 seconds. I saw he had it when I was watching it live. I don't know how that many refs could miss it. Karma couldn't have fixed it any more quickly though.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Sherman need treatment for a speech pathology problem. I cannot understand a word he says.
Consider yourself lucky. Great player but...

Broncos vs Seahawks, that could be an epic matchup, hope so. And no 12th jerks (not that other teams don't also).

Go Peyton - win, celebrate, retire...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Sherman need treatment for a speech pathology problem. I cannot understand a word he says.
And yet he graduated from Stanford with a degree in Communication. You can't make this stuff up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #124

Watch Sherman's press conference interview (after hes showered and calmed down). He sounds and acts completely normal. I chalk his game behavior up to adrenaline.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Watch Sherman's press conference interview (after hes showered and calmed down). He sounds and acts completely normal. I chalk his game behavior up to adrenaline.
And also, Crabtree was stirring the pot himself. He can talk trash with anyone, and he and Sherman were apparently going at it all game long.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
That's subject to interpretation. He starts by calling out 'a-hole Twitter users' and then repeats his statement that Crabtree is a 'medicore' player. Nothing like a graceful (childish) winner and taking the high road. But as ESPN analysts pointed out, he'll get his servings of humble pie in the NFL just like everyone else no matter how good you are.

Go Peyton.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Oh well, the Pats really didn't play well, or Denver's defense did. I have to wonder if the altitude threw Brady, he had way more bad throws than normal. They know about it, but hard to adjust. And you can't give Peyton that much time. DW is sad.

But we like Peyton, and hope he goes all the way, and then retires...

SF and Seattle should be good, next.
So is Mr B, born and raised in Lowell MA.

I remain a JETS fan. It's easier to root for the perpetual underdog.

In reference to all the 12th man hoopla, it was a common joke at Rich Stadium (Buffalo Bills) that the 13th man was the lake effect snow.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And yet he graduated from Stanford with a degree in Communication. You can't make this stuff up.
Sunday's sound bite doesn't tell Richard Sherman's story. | SportsonEarth.com : Will Leitch Article
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm from a generation where sportsmanship was a requisite part of sports. Making noise just for the purpose of making it impossible for the opponents to even hear their snap count is BS at any stadium (not just Seattle though they seem to promote it more than most others). I object to defensive players very aggressively going for the strip more than making a tackle. I object to fans screaming and waving noodles when opponents are shooting free throws. Just to name a few.

Sportsmanship seems to be passé, that's sad to me. I am an old fuddy duddy, oh well...
I'm going to show my age, but back in my college days there were rules against the "12th man". If the crowd was too loud the visiting team could tell the ref that they couldn't hear and a warning would go out to the fans. If it happened again it was a penalty. Things have definitely changed...
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
I'm going to show my age, but backin my college days there were rules against the "12th man". If the crowd was too loud the visiting team could tell the ref that they couldn't hear and a warning would go out to the fans. If it happened again it was a penalty. Things have definitely changed...
NFL too, and it's still in the rules, but clearly not enforced AT ALL. Franchises now go to some length to increase crowd noise when opponents are on offense. And I am sure the Refs did not stop enforcement on their own, the league/owners/media did. It's BS, but again I'm in the minority.
Quote:
When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #131

Thanks for the link. This Sherman is a breath of fresh air, with a little too much wind behind it for most folks, but I like someone who thinks for himself and backs up his talk with his deeds.

Should add a lot of interest to the Bowl.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm going to show my age, but backin my college days there were rules against the "12th man". If the crowd was too loud the visiting team could tell the ref that they couldn't hear and a warning would go out to the fans. If it happened again it was a penalty. Things have definitely changed...
I remember Joe Namath motioning to the refs "I can't hear, I can't hear" which only made the noise go louder and did see a flag thrown against the fans. (A penalty? What a crock). I like the 12th man advantage a lot more.
Oops! I Did It Again.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Oops! I Did It Again.

Well, I picked the 49ers but they got bounced by the Seahawks. It was funny how Russel Wilson looked like Fran Tarkenton as the 49ers were trying to chase him down.

So my new pick (good thing I don't bet) on my football calculator says:

Broncos 27
Seahawks 24

I'm picking Manning again though I've been wrong more than right picking him in the past.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I remember Joe Namath motioning to the refs "I can't hear, I can't hear" which only made the noise go louder and did see a flag thrown against the fans. (A penalty? What a crock). I like the 12th man advantage a lot more.
Not me. I guess I'm an old fart old school when it comes to sports and sportsmanship. Frankly, when I have no other rooting interests, I almost always root against home teams in domes and teams that have (and encourage) fan bases to be as obnoxiously loud as possible. I enjoy seeing them get silenced.

I think every NFL stadium should have standardized, calibrated equipment to measure fan noise levels. Every time the noise levels exceed (say) 100 decibels while the visiting team is on offense, it triggers a penalty against the home team (I'd say 5 yards the first time, 10 yards the second time and 15 yards plus automatic first down on the third and subsequent violations). But then, maybe that's why I'm not the commissioner.

Seriously, above that level it is a hazard to unprotected ears, so it's not only about sportsmanship; it's also a public health and safety issue. DW has lost a lot of her hearing because of exposure to loud noise, so I'm a bit sensitive to that.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
NFL too, and it's still in the rules, but clearly not enforced AT ALL. Franchises now go to some length to increase crowd noise when opponents are on offense. And I am sure the Refs did not stop enforcement on their own, the league/owners/media did. It's BS, but again I'm in the minority.
Wow, I had no idea it was still there.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

NFL

Quote:

Unsportsmanlike behavior has existed for a long time. Many years ago the San Francisco Giants would have the ground crew wet down the base running area between 1st and 2nd base to deter Maury Wills from stealing 2nd.

Big money in sports has made it worse. That is why I no longer follow professional or big college sports very much. They can keep their hype and I will keep my money and my time.

But, I am still glad when a team that represents the city that dammed Yosemite for water gets beat.

FREE THE HETCH HETCHY!!!!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
But, I am still glad when a team that represents the city that dammed Yosemite for water gets beat.

Off-topic, but California is in the midst of severe drought and needs more reservoirs for water storage, not less. Eliminating Hetch Hetchy would simply increase demand from other over-taxed sources and compound the problem. But due to the current political environment, I expect that there will be few if any new reservoirs in this state until taps star running dry.

Back on topic: Go Denver!
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

The nice thing about the NFL is its total irrelevance. Regardless of who wins and who loses, there is no significant effect on me.

That said...... Go Seahawks!!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I chalk Sherman's outburst to the heat of the game. Its pretty hard to get into Stanford, football skills withstanding..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Got to hand it to you. That's the most creative reason to hate the 49'ers I've ever heard. Very funny. I have to agree with you...go Seahawks.

And while we're at it. Reverse 'The Catch' and declare the Cowboys winners for that year. May be the only way us Cowboy fans ever get another Super Bowl.