Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, like Johnny Unitas when he was with the Chargers. Or Joe Namath with the Rams, for that matter.
+1.

Maybe the stadium was just too loud, but not once did I hear Manning yell out "Omaha". I had expected a chess match, him calling plays to get the Seahawks off balance but instead the game was a jailbreak all game.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Isn't there an indicator that a win by the NFC means an up market for the year? Or maybe it's only old NFL teams...

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
+1.

Maybe the stadium was just too loud, but not once did I hear Manning yell out "Omaha". I had expected a chess match, him calling plays to get the Seahawks off balance but instead the game was a jailbreak all game.

He was probably on the sidelines muttering "Omygod".

Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
He was probably on the sidelines muttering "Omygod".
News out of Seattle:
Quote:
Based on the frequently repeated gasps of "Oh, sh*rt!" by Bronco fans, the NFL plans to rename this particular game "The Superbowel".
Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

I was sort of rooting for Seattle, but ended up watching very little of the game.

Today with Dow down 300 and the S&P down 40, I remembered that unless it is a team you really care about, or you have a boat load money on a team, you should always root for the NFC team.

Well Seattle is part of the NFC, they won by a command margin, Mr market listen up.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Today with Dow down 300 and the S&P down 40, I remembered that unless it is a team you really care about, or you have a boat load money on a team, you should always root for the NFC team.

Well Seattle is part of the NFC, they won by a command margin, Mr market listen up.
Maybe it doesn't work if the team used to be in the AFC....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Wouldn't it be a hoot if we could bring back the '85 Bears and match them vs the current Seahawks. A real battle of D's!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Wouldn't it be a hoot if we could bring back the '85 Bears and match them vs the current Seahawks. A real battle of D's!
Maybe you saw these unbiased reports already...

Who Had The Better D? ’85 Bears Or ’13 Seahawks? « CBS Chicago

Was Seattle's Sunday Performance More Dominant Than the '85 Bears? | NBC Chicago

The answer may lie in comparing the Manning offense with the McMahon O?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg header.jpg (237.8 KB, 4 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The 1985 Bears would not have needed OT to beat the 2013 Texans.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #250
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seattle plays loose and reckless. I was there last night and I know it wasn't close however Seattle gave a demo on every aspect of the game. We were near the end on 200 level and it was loud, real loud when Manning missed the snap that 12 man alright, it works. We Love the noise everyone screaming Omaha funny how this works out. Seattle will be good for awhile I think. New Jersey people treated us great, the land of 8 million people wow. Looking forward to getting back to Seattle however we are snowed in at airport looks like.
trouthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

I was a popular guy around here (Illinois) for that '86 Super Bowl. Everybody knew I was a NE fan so they invited me to parties so they could have someone to laugh at

You may remember that a cocaine scandal with the Patriots came out right after that game. There was a funny cartoon showing a beaten and bruised Patriot in the locker room reading a newspaper with a headline blaring "Cocaine causes insanity and wild hallucinations!". The caption had the player thinking, "No wonder we thought we could beat the Bears!".

Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #252
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouthog View Post
Seattle plays loose and reckless. I was there last night and I know it wasn't close however Seattle gave a demo on every aspect of the game. We were near the end on 200 level and it was loud, real loud when Manning missed the snap that 12 man alright, it works. We Love the noise everyone screaming Omaha funny how this works out. Seattle will be good for awhile I think. New Jersey people treated us great, the land of 8 million people wow. Looking forward to getting back to Seattle however we are snowed in at airport looks like.
Thanks for representing the 12s! Some call the 12th Man "nonsense," and only a home field phenomenon, but the 12s "travel well" and represent. (And have a safe journey back home. Will be at the downtown parade Wednesday.)
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, Birdie Num Nums and all Seahawk fans. It's fun to learn who everyone's team is.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #254

Quote:
Thinking you are good is only part of what makes champions. The other part is backing it up on the field.
Like this?

Coach Pete.jpg

BTW: this Super Bowl was the most-watched TV event in history.

Go Hawks!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #255

Quote:
Manning did make some questionable decisions under pressure. That said, Denver's offensive line was flat out terrible. Manning was making plays when the O-line gave him good protection, but that was very rare.

Now before someone corrects me and says it was just Seattle's defensive line playing like monsters, yes, they did. But that alone can't really account for ALL of just how bad Denver's pass protection was. They barely even showed up.
Denver's O-Line was terrible but Manning is a statue which doesn't help. He has to have great protection or hes in trouble. Having said that, when he gets great protection, there's nobody better.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #256
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I think Denver is going to win it all. Good luck stopping Manning with all those weapons he has. Their defense is average but it doesnt matter. Nobody can stop them.

Fail

But I give ya credit to post the first prediction in this post
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #257
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Defense wins Super Bowls. Seattle will destroy the Broncos.

Ding, ding, ding

We gotta winner!! Great post ripper1 congrats
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #258
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
As a long time Steeler fan, I agree with this statement. Well, the part that defense wins Super Bowls. However, Seattle doesnt have the type of team that destroys other teams. They run the ball, chew up the clock and play smothering defense (just like Steeler teams of the past). They dont score enough playing that way to crush people very often.

So if by "destroy" you mean that Seattle will win by 14+ points, I seriously doubt it. I do think Seattle will win though.

Ouch...time to eat crow Utrecht
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #259
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
All the sports writers here in Chicago are picking Broncos. That is a good sign there will be a celebration in Seattle tonight.

Wow, another zinger by Ripper1. I love it!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #260

Wow. Thanks Turboslacker.

When the playoffs started I didnt think Manning could be stopped. Once I saw the way Seattle's defense was playing, I changed my mind and was pretty sure they would win the game because great defense normally beats great offense just like great pitching beats great hitting in baseball. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they could rip Denver apart like they did.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote