NFL "Preseason" "games"

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
It has been quite a number of years since I was a season ticket holder with the Philadelphia Eagles and I do not recall if these so-called preseason games were a purchase requirement if you wanted to see that eight real home games, but I believe they were.

I have tried to watch a few of the contests this year (i.e.Dallas vs Houston on Fri) and they are so boring I have to ask "why do season ticket holders put up with paying prime $ for such terrible athletic contests?" After the first quarter, it is all rookies and taxi squad guys trying to make a pay check.

Am I the only one who thinks that the NFL/TV is presenting the public with a sham?

You are not alone in your outrage of preseason. I guess if you are a season ticket holder you have to "eat" the full price of the preseason games.

Free to Canoe

What I can not understand it why anyone is a fan of professional home team sports.

Why would anyone from let's say Philadelphia have any emotional attachment to a group of athletes with no attachment to the community of Phila.?

So, it isn't a sham; it is great marketing. The NFL is selling a product and you are buying it.

What the NFL does is this:
1. Gets a group of athletes together.
2. Packages them into city teams.
3. Regulates them
4. Markets them
5. Makes money by selling tickets; game rights etc.

They do a great job. The exception is that you think the preseason games are of inferior quality and you don't like paying for it.

I can understand the the concept of begin interested in your college football team (ignoring the issue of college athletes being recruited and possibly exploited for the financial benefit of the college for the moment).

Many teams (like Buffalo) work around this by only scheduling one home pre-season game.

In years past games were played in Mexico city and other non nfl cities.

I still think the best seat in the house is the sofa in MY house. The view is better, restrooms are cleaner, beer is cheaper...

Yep, I wont go to a game again. Last one I went to was 49ers vs Cowboys at Candlestick in 1994. A lot of the fans were a-holes, we had a guy 2 rows in front of us that kept jumping up with a huge Cowboys sign that blocked our view until a couple of drunk 9er fans jumped him. Fifteen minutes to use a bathroom or get a beer.

And I only paid $300 for the tickets.

You do have to buy the preseason tix to get the season tickets, and IIRC the team gets to keep the money from the preseason games played in their stadiums, while the regular season ticket money gets spread around evenly between the teams.

So big money for the owners in preseason games.

...Last one I went to was 49ers vs Cowboys at Candlestick in 1994.

NFC championship game? I was there; my ticket was free. A friend scored two free tickets from her boss. However, I did buy the beer and food, so the day cost me about $100. Still worth every penny.

I've been to a few games since, all losers. I have to go to a live game now and then to remind me why I prefer watching at home.

Regular season game in november of 1994. Niners won. I couldnt afford the championship game. The tickets were going for a couple of grand each for lousy seats.

Heres a funny coincidence. I've been to about a zillion pro sports games. In every case the home team won. That home field advantage is really something.

Heres a funny coincidence. I've been to about a zillion pro sports games. In every case the home team won. That home field advantage is really something.

I can't remember the last time I was at a game when the local (home) team won. No wonder, given the current state of our local franchises (A's, Giants, Raiders, Niners). Heck, we even went to a Shark's game last year and they lost.

Yeah, I went to a lot of games when I lived in Boston. Bruins in the 60's and 70's, celts in the 70's-early 90's, red sox. Even the crappy 80's patriots won when I went to a game. Although I was at the night game in the 1980 when the drunk pats fans all started tipping over cars and they had to call the riot cops in. And shoot, the pats beat denver. Imagine how it'd have gone if they'd lost? The league didnt schedule any more night games in foxboro for a long time after that.

When I first moved to the SF area, the niners were great, the giants, raiders and A's were all pretty good.

I will take a Manning whining about anything before I want to even see a dolphins fan.

One of the things about NFL network airing pre-season games is I get to listen to the announcer of the other teams. Bob Griese ANNOYS me. Dolphins fans in general annoy me regardless.

Go Bills
Squish the fish

I enjoy College and High School Football much more than NFL. I guess it may be cost or maybe the fact that there are actually a lot team (and team players) on the field and they have not become "overpaid celebrities" yet!

I enjoy College and High School Football much more than NFL. I guess it may be cost or maybe the fact that there are actually a lot team (and team players) on the field and they have not become "overpaid celebrities" yet!

Same here. I don't give a rip about any team pro sports for that matter.

Same here. I don't give a rip about any team pro sports for that matter.

Picky picky picky - hell I watch it all a different times even the kids up the street after school.

I noticed the smell this morining when I let the dogs out for their morning whiz.

It smelled like like - Football!

heh heh heh - :cool:.

Fun stat for football fans...

For kids who graduated from high school this past spring, Brett Favre was the starting quarterback of the Green Bay Packers for their entire lives.

Seems like it was just a few months ago that I was watching him as a rookie throwing interceptions like crazy and figuring he had maybe one more game of that stuff before he got benched... ::)

I'm just looking forward to Tom Brady throwing 7 touchdowns in his first game of the season. :)

Although something tells me they might throw everyone a curveball and run the ball 45 times a game. With Maroney, Jordan, Morris, Faulk and Evans, they could put quite a running game on the field.

Heh, I remember when Bart Starr was the GB quarterback, and Vince Lombardi was coach. Others I remember as a kid: Y. A. Tittle, John Unitas, and this running back named Jim Brown...

Heh, I remember when Bart Starr was the GB quarterback, and Vince Lombardi was coach. Others I remember as a kid: Y. A. Tittle, John Unitas, and this running back named Jim Brown...

Me too! Those were the days. Back when athletes were not overpaid.

Back
Top Bottom