Join Early Retirement Today

Nice IPad buyback going on, if youre considering an upgrade
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice IPad buyback going on, if youre considering an upgrade

Both Walmart and a Target are buying back old iPads with an in store gift certificate. I received $200 for my dying iPad 1, and used it for the purchase of an iPad Air. Just for info.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

More details in this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1376448

PS Still waiting for my e-mail gift card after more than 20 minutes.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Both Walmart and a Target are buying back old iPads with an in store gift certificate. I received $200 for my dying iPad 1, and used it for the purchase of an iPad Air. Just for info.
You just couldn't resist the temptation, seraphim! could you. I was definitely going to buy no matter what soon, so this wasn't an impulse purchase as much as an inevitable one with a great price. I turned mine in with all original packing and it looked like a brand new one. If it ran liked it look, I wouldn't have bought the Air.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! Just got $200 credit and cancelled my $185 offer from Gazelle.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Can this be applied towards the new retina iPad mini?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Can this be applied towards the new retina iPad mini?
Take your iPad into store. Then you get the gift card. You can wait and use it when it is released. You do not have to use the gift card immediately, nor do you have to use it to buy an iPad. But it has to be spent at Target, though.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Take your iPad into store. Then you get the gift card. You can wait and use it when it is released. You do not have to use the gift card immediately, nor do you have to use it to buy an iPad. But it has to be spent at Target, though.
Fantastic! We are seriously considering this! We aren't really using our old iPad 1 64GB AT&T one, and we are interested in an iPad mini.

Woohoo! Looks like there are several Target Mobile stores in the Valley.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fantastic! We are seriously considering this! We aren't really using our old iPad 1 64GB AT&T one, and we are interested in an iPad mini. Woohoo! Looks like there are several Target Mobile stores in the Valley.
Audrey, make sure you check on when there is a person there manning the station. I looked at the website of the location I was going to. It didn't show anything under mobile, so I assumed it was open the same as the store hours..UHMM, no that was a wrong assumption. I got there at 11, but that wasn't open until noon. The weird thing is the mobile guy checks your iPad and gives you the card, but won't help get the IPad. That is the electronics dept job. So I had to track down one of those guys to help finish the deal.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Audrey, make sure you check on when there is a person there manning the station. I looked at the website of the location I was going to. It didn't show anything under mobile, so I assumed it was open the same as the store hours..UHMM, no that was a wrong assumption. I got there at 11, but that wasn't open until noon. The weird thing is the mobile guy checks your iPad and gives you the card, but won't help get the IPad. That is the electronics dept job. So I had to track down one of those guys to help finish the deal.
Thanks for the details. That's kind of weird.

Do you think the store will carry the new iPad mini when it comes out?

Or will it be possible to use the gift certificate when ordering online from Target?

I'm worried that the folks working at Target here won't really know the rules.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the details. That's kind of weird. Do you think the store will carry the new iPad mini when it comes out? Or will it be possible to use the gift certificate when ordering online from Target? I'm worried that the folks working at Target here won't really know the rules.
Audrey, the trade in website says you can use the gift card to purchase products online through their website. I can only speak for the few Target stores in my area, but usually they only have a small amount of iPads in stock. In fact I got the last Air one they currently had. The locked display if it was fully stocked could only house maybe a dozen of them. I have not ordered anything online through them. If nothing else if they are slow to get them, you could buy one somewhere else, and use the card to load up on laundry, personal supplies, and other necessities to get your money back.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Seraphim,
Thanks to your post. I traded my ipad1 and got $200 at Target. Walmart offered $90 and Apple store only $55. Target is offering minimum $200 for any iPad regardless of condition.
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:

Or will it be possible to use the gift certificate when ordering online from Target?

I'm worried that the folks working at Target here won't really know the rules.
Yes you can, but it takes jumping through a few hoops. See my posts on this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...y-69096-2.html

For $135 (the difference between the normal $65 trade-in and the special this-week-only $200 trade-in) it was worth it. But not for the faint of heart.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Alright all!

I got my $200 trade-in gift card today - woo hoo! Associate knew exactly what he was doing - no hassles or caveats.

I appreciate the heads up on this. Hopefully the new iPadmini Retinas will be available by the end of Nov.

Thanks so much for all the info and help!

Audrey
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Alright all!

I got my $200 trade-in gift card today - woo hoo! Associate knew exactly what he was doing - no hassles or caveats.

I appreciate the heads up on this. Hopefully the new iPadmini Retinas will be available by the end of Nov.

Thanks so much for all the info and help!

Audrey
Had to wait a while for Target to get the iPad mini with retina display I wanted in stock. Still the one I wanted was online only, but free shipping.

I had to go by Target to convert my electronic trade-in certificate for a Target gift card. But then I ordered my new iPad mini online no problem. So nice to get that $200 credit!