Join Early Retirement Today

nice little jolt
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

nice little jolt

About 10 mi. east of me, preliminarily 5.8 quake. Better than coffee for getting the heart pumping. Always wonder is this it? The big one? Hope this wasn't a foreshock.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It could be a sign:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...oll-37555.html
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching the reports now on CNN. Hope everything is, and remains, A-OK for you and your fellow Californians.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

...any lightning bolts?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
If the quake destroys a gay bathhouse, it will be heralded as a sign of His wrath.

If it topples a church, it will be heralded as His commandment to build a new, bigger church.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

More details from USGS
Magnitude 5.4 - GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If the quake destroys a gay bathhouse, it will be heralded as a sign of His wrath.

If it topples a church, it will be heralded as His commandment to build a new, bigger church.
What if it tears the roof off of a church and reveals a priest or two with a couple of young altar boys? What kind of sign is God sending with that?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #8

it was the biggest one i've ever been in and i grew up in socal...but that's cuz i'm right next to the epi on this one...sheesh! nothing fell down, just really was scary - i usually ride them out - no biggy - but this one was a doozy!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
gone traveling

NM
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #10

It was about 20 miles east of me. The only real damage was in my fridge. Several 2-liter soda bottles fell over, pushing against a bowl of dry dog food (with egg and burger added). When I opened the door, the bowl shot out, spraying the floor with dog food. Fortunately, my professional clean-up crew had the floor dog-spittle clean within minutes.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Always wonder is this it? The big one? Hope this wasn't a foreshock.
I guess the theory is that 10 small ones are better than the big one. Kinda hard to appreciate that logic when you're trying to figure out which way to run...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Dogs sure are handy when you drop stuff, arent they?

I was in a pretty good shaker down in San Jose about 10 years ago. Got out of the shower in the hotel and walked over by the window and watched everything start swaying back and forth, including the building I was in.

It was pretty cool for about ten seconds until I realized I was standing naked on the tenth floor of a big building. Fortunately it stopped right about the time the amusement turned into alarm.

Lets hope that was it. I'd hate for today to be the day that the San Andreas fault opened up and everything east of California fell into the Atlantic ocean.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #13

Damn I miss all the fun..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, this was my “fault”, and the second earthquake I set off. The first was the Northridge quake. In ’94, I got home (I lived a couple of miles from the earthquake’s epicenter at the time) from a weekend getaway, and picked up my mail to find the earthquake policy I just purchased, along with the AAA magazine that featured earthquake preparedness on the front cover. I spent the next hour reading the articles and putting together a basic earthquake kit. I remember looking at my entertainment center and thinking I should bolt that sucker to the wall when I get a chance. I put a flashlight on my nightstand, a pair of shoes and sweats in the drawer of the nightstand, and went to bed. Six hours later, KABOOM! All hell breaks loose! And that entertainment center along with the TV and stereo is lying in pieces on the floor. Flashlight nowhere to be found since the quake shook it right off the nightstand. Lesson learned.

This past Sunday, I was organizing the house, and thought it would be a good time to restock the cooler where I keep my earthquake supplies. As I was replacing the old cans and water bottles, I thought to myself in jest, “I hope I don’t set off another quake.” But at least this one was minor.

From now on , I’ll warn everyone when I’m getting ready to restock.

Zan from SoCal
Zantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So the quake's a Leo?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #16

I'm glad for all of the E-R Forum folks out that way, that the shakin' wasn't too serious this time. I have a friend that used to live a couple of miles away from the '94 Northridge quake epicenter. I visited her shortly after the quake, and got to see her new sunken living room........thanks to the shakin' it was 6" lower than the rest of her house.......which was twisted, contorted, and shifted beyond repair and was eventually torn down.

We had a 4.5 quake here in northern IL back on May 28, 2004, at about 1 a.m. I had only been in bed for a short time...maybe 20 minutes....and had just started to doze off. Then all of sudden the house was shaking, and stuff was rattling on the walls and shelves, and there was some deep rumbling noises going on. I went outside to see what was going on, and discovered that most of my neighbors were doing the same thing. We all discussed it for a few minutes, and decided it was safe to resume our sleep. When we listened to the news in the morning we found out it was centered about 8 miles N-NW of us. Good thing we're not in an earthquake zone!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Ugh. I knew a guy who got relocated from LA up to SF. Had his house for sale in Northridge for more than six months and wasnt getting any nibbles. Then the quake hit and messed the house up pretty good. He had to pony up the 10% deductible and that was something like 30-40k, then spend months fixing his house. Then nobody would touch real estate there with a ten foot pole.

Ugly.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #18

From a former Angelino:
Very relieved that this one caused no big damage or injuries, none that were reported anyway!

In 1971 I was a young mother living in Orange County when the big Sylmar quake hit San Fernando Valley. It was 6.6 on Richter scale. My baby cried out and I woke up to hear an awful sound like a freight train coming underground. (I'd never heard a subway or I would have described in that way). Then the whole room began moving back and forth. Really scared my baby boy! But I guess he wasn't scared for life since he now lives in the SF Bay area.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
What if it tears the roof off of a church and reveals a priest or two with a couple of young altar boys? What kind of sign is God sending with that?
obviously god is saying that pedophilia should be catagorized as the darkest side of deviant homosexuality. because, as everyone knows, priests never molest little girls.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I realized I was standing naked on the tenth floor of a big building. ...watched everything start swaying back and forth.
!