Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
There is a large appliance store in the Chicago NW suburbs that has an excellent reputation. We went there, and it was night and day. Got what we wanted, delivery was smooth, one problem that came up, but they rectified that with no drama whatsoever. They also do online sales now, but I have no idea if the online experience is the same as their local. Because of that, I don't want to unequivocally recommend them, but if you are interested, they are based in Glenview IL, and the store name is 3 letters.
-ERD50
I seriously considered ordering from them a few years back. Instead, we went local with Sears because we just didn't know if the Chicago area experience (which is excellent) would transfer to online country-wide. Since then, we've done the HD thing quiet successfully. Everything has been perfect all of these deliveries. I need to find some wood. Gotta touch it and knock.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just received a washer and dryer from HD for a rental. No problems.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

If you get down to it, today's appliances just look pretty. Since the major manufacturers sold out and condolidated, there are just not that many companies. GE sold out. A Maytag may also be a Whirlpool. Amana was once a premium line, and they were sold. LG is a Gold star out of Korea.

We have an independent appliance mechanic and he doesn't recommend brands to customers. He says they all break down. But he has a Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer out of New Zealand. Quality is now rare in any appliance.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I’ve had good luck with Lowe’s, having recently bought all new appliances during a remodel of our Florida condo winter home. Lowe’s 10% veteran’s discount when combined with other sales is pretty nice. No problems with delivery or the appliances. We used Home Depot a couple of years ago to update a rental and everything went smoothly there too. For our main home we used a local appliance store and the service was great. Knock on wood for all those purchases!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
Administrator

I think a large part of your experience will have to do with the HD in your area and their contractors. last year we moved and I purchased a pile of appliances from HD. Most had to be ordered and the deliveries were fairly smooth. No issues. In one case, there was a sale on an item after I purchased. The dept manager actually called me to tell me this and instruct me on how to collect a refund.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Did you pay for the order with a CC (credit card)? If so, under Federal Law you have dispute rights (ie billing error).

I would discuss it with the local HD management first, but convey that you know that this is an option. They likely would rather make you happy somehow as opposed to having the banks reverse the charge plus the processing fees and time.

Another tactic could be to inspect the demo unit in the store that you based your purchase on. If it is not damaged, tell them that you will take that one. Let HD worry about receiving another functional store model.

I think the store management has a good deal of flexibility here. From the stories I have heard you should be receiving next day deliveries of the replacement fridges. I have heard they hold back some delivery slots each day as a tool to help satisfy good customers that are having trouble with the purchase.

I would never take a floor model without a pretty big discount... at least 30%....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I bought a water heater from them this past year and they handled it very poorly. My order was also non-cancelable and needed a third party to install, and the dates all changed after the order was placed. After a week of unsuccessful efforts to re-change the dates, I called and canceled the order. At first they said I couldn’t, and they had already charged my card, but I insisted, and told them I would refuse delivery and dispute the charge.

The reason the order is non-cancellable, it is fulfilled by a third party, so they hand it over to someone else once it’s been placed. I’d say that two attempts to deliver a damaged product is enough, you should call the HD internet orders number, raise a stink, cancel, and then buy from someone else.

+1 on this.... you are not cancelling because you decided not to take the order, but because they cannot deliver you a non-dented product in a timely manner... IOW, they breached the contract not you...
Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #28

NOW , we just went through the exact experience …..NO Joke . We sold our house in Houston with the refrigerator . So we move to our country home and we get a storm . I think the storm ruined our Fridge , but we had HD warranty so they give 100% refund . We go to HD for the memorial day sale , by the way we threw out some food and bought some dry ice . We thought this would be a short time.
Now the Fridge DW wants cannot be delivered to our Zip Code for 9 days!
SO we are easy we go to CL and buy a mini freezer 40.00 brand new a couple were moving .
BUT we get the Fridge it is dented on the side , the installers call HD for me . They offer to knock 100.00 off . I declined and they let us keep the Fridge as a loaner .
A week later we got another one ...No problem in excellent shape ,,,,,so far !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #29

Not to beat a bad Horse if your Fridge was ordered and delivered in the last 4 weeks it might have been because of the Sale. The delivery guys ( an independent company) told us the Memorial Day sale this year was much better then HD had planned and the manufacturers were all messed up so they were shoving anything out the door. Not acceptable but it happens . Our delivery guys deliver by Zip code and they said they had been delivering till 8:00 PM 5 days a week
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #30

We ordered as black Maytag refrigerator from HD. The truck pulls up, they unload the fridge, and can see the top of it from my porch. I ask if that is mine, and was told that it was. The only problem was that it was white!. I told them to look at the delivery address, and it was for someone 10 miles away!

Apparently when they loaded the truck, they got the sequence wrong!
I also ordered a built in dishwasher from HD, and it was a wired in model. The installer told me he could not install it, because it needed an electrician. I told him that I was an electrician, proceeded to unhook the old wires, and hooked up the new dishwasher. They were both GE, so the wires went to the identical place.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

There is a large appliance store in the Chicago NW suburbs that has an excellent reputation. We went there, and it was night and day. Got what we wanted, delivery was smooth, one problem that came up, but they rectified that with no drama whatsoever. They also do online sales now, but I have no idea if the online experience is the same as their local. Because of that, I don't want to unequivocally recommend them, but if you are interested, they are based in Glenview IL, and the store name is 3 letters.

-ERD50

Are you talking about ABT Appliance?

They were recommended by Consumer Reports for excellent customer service so I ordered an over the range microwave from them. They had the best price, free shipping and no sales tax for CA. During our installation attempt, the mounting hardware came off and fell into the cavity of the microwave, never to be retrieved and making installation impossible. I called customer service, explained the problem and they said “no problem, we’ll send you a new unit, when it arrives repack the original in the new box (the original box had already been discarded) and take it UPS for shipping with a prepaid label”. The second microwave installed easily with no problems.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I don't care what the form says, cancel the order. H/D wants happy customers. Today, appliances are often not stocked by H/D (or Lowes)/and they come out of manufacturers' warehouses. Too many people end up handling them, and there are too many chances of damage.
I think you may be right. My ire at Home Depot may be misplaced. At one point, the delivery guy said he was calling LG. So I wonder if this is from an LG warehouse and the incompetent forklift operators are from LG. If so, then cancelling and rebuying at Costco doesn't really do me any good.

I could get something other than LG. I had considered either an LG or Samsung but LG had better online reviews than Samsung. The LG had a few features that I liked that Samsung didn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Right. For HD, most are delivered by a third party contractor. Around here it is JB Hunt Final Mile who usually do a pretty good job. Your mileage obviously varies.
The delivery guys were fine. The problem was obviously in the warehouse (or before for the cut electrical cord).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I would discuss it with the local HD management first, but convey that you know that this is an option. They likely would rather make you happy somehow as opposed to having the banks reverse the charge plus the processing fees and time.

Another tactic could be to inspect the demo unit in the store that you based your purchase on. If it is not damaged, tell them that you will take that one. Let HD worry about receiving another functional store model.

I think the store management has a good deal of flexibility here.
I bought this online. I had seen the model itself at Costco and was going to order it from Costco. But, they couldn't commit to a specific delivery time and we wanted it here the day we moved in. HD could commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You need to make a big loud stink. In person probably best - call and let them know you need a manager to meet with you, and show up with photos ready for battle. I would not care what the policy says, they've had 2 chances to get this right and have failed to meet their side of the deal. HD broke the contract.

I agree it was a bad idea for the first guys to leave the "loaner" with you, sorry they convinced you to do that.
There is no store manager since I never set foot in an HD store.

They did not leave the loaner with me. It was suggested that they do so when they thought it was only dented. But, about then, he saw that the electrical cord had been cut off. When the second one arrived the delivery guy told me flat out I shouldn't accept it and I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
Had a similar but not quite so bad experience with Lowes. And the same issue about cancelling.

Went over to the local Lowes and found the store manager. After I told him of the saga he said "what do you want me to do?" I said I want to cancel the order and he said no problem and also gave me a $25 gift card because of all the time, etc involved.
I wish I could do that...but I ordered online. The local store won't care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I also found out that if you order online from them that the local store is not involved and can't help you out with any issues that you might have with the order or delivery. I'm sure if you raised enough heck they would step up but why can't they be involved from the beginning?
And, that is the issue for me. I ordered entirely online. We just moved to this area so didn't have a relationship built up with any particular store. I saw the refrigerator I wanted at Costco but bought from HD when Costco couldn't commit to delivering when I needed it. HD ironically had the best delivery date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Not to beat a bad Horse if your Fridge was ordered and delivered in the last 4 weeks it might have been because of the Sale. The delivery guys ( an independent company) told us the Memorial Day sale this year was much better then HD had planned and the manufacturers were all messed up so they were shoving anything out the door. Not acceptable but it happens . Our delivery guys deliver by Zip code and they said they had been delivering till 8:00 PM 5 days a week
I ordered it on May 28. But, they did say they have been doing a lot of deliveries. Part of it they said is that lots of people are moving right now. This is a very hot area with lots of moves. We didn't have Internet until 5 days after we moved in because even though we called over 2 weeks in advance it took that long to get an install date. I've never had that happen before...
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post

They were recommended by Consumer Reports for excellent customer service so I ordered an over the range microwave from them. They had the best price, free shipping and no sales tax for CA. During our installation attempt, the mounting hardware came off and fell into the cavity of the microwave, never to be retrieved and making installation impossible. I called customer service, explained the problem and they said “no problem, we’ll send you a new unit, when it arrives repack the original in the new box (the original box had already been discarded) and take it UPS for shipping with a prepaid label”. The second microwave installed easily with no problems.
Nice. My sister is an Abt groupie. And it is pronounced, not a series of letters.

Since my sister is a groupie, we just go there sometimes to browse. I rather enjoyed trying out the $25,000 Swedish mattress. That was interesting! I'm not sure if they still sell that thing.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Both the LG and Samsung refrigerators have great reviews but I know of several people who's LG or Samsung fridge died at three years .I have lost all faith in consumer reports .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have lost all faith in consumer reports .
What do you prefer to consumer reports? I know you are a smart shopper.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Both the LG and Samsung refrigerators have great reviews but I know of several people who's LG or Samsung fridge died at three years .I have lost all faith in consumer reports .
This is kind of a statistics vs anecdotes argument isn't it? Consumer Reports polls hundreds of thousands of people on their experiences over years of ownership.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I think you may be right. My ire at Home Depot may be misplaced. At one point, the delivery guy said he was calling LG. So I wonder if this is from an LG warehouse and the incompetent forklift operators are from LG. If so, then cancelling and rebuying at Costco doesn't really do me any good.

I could get something other than LG. I had considered either an LG or Samsung but LG had better online reviews than Samsung. The LG had a few features that I liked that Samsung didn't have.

The delivery guys were fine. The problem was obviously in the warehouse (or before for the cut electrical cord).

I bought this online. I had seen the model itself at Costco and was going to order it from Costco. But, they couldn't commit to a specific delivery time and we wanted it here the day we moved in. HD could commit.

There is no store manager since I never set foot in an HD store.

They did not leave the loaner with me. It was suggested that they do so when they thought it was only dented. But, about then, he saw that the electrical cord had been cut off. When the second one arrived the delivery guy told me flat out I shouldn't accept it and I didn't.

I wish I could do that...but I ordered online. The local store won't care...

And, that is the issue for me. I ordered entirely online. We just moved to this area so didn't have a relationship built up with any particular store. I saw the refrigerator I wanted at Costco but bought from HD when Costco couldn't commit to delivering when I needed it. HD ironically had the best delivery date.

I ordered it on May 28. But, they did say they have been doing a lot of deliveries. Part of it they said is that lots of people are moving right now. This is a very hot area with lots of moves. We didn't have Internet until 5 days after we moved in because even though we called over 2 weeks in advance it took that long to get an install date. I've never had that happen before...
We’ve been very happy with our LG side-by-side refrigerator that we had since 2010. Hope I don’t jinx it now.

We went to Best Buy and bought it. They had a good price. Good delivery, perfect condition and the delivery guys even helped us remove the front door so we could get it into the house without removing the handles.

I usually avoid Home Depot unless for something very basic, preferring Lowes.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
... I need to find some wood. Gotta touch it and knock.
Apparently, you can find all the wood you want to touch (and knock?) on the Viagra thread.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Why? It has been years since I looked at them for appliances, but even back then the failure rate on their top pick models were pretty bad IMO... they are just telling you which are the best statistically....

You happened to get a bad model...

And also asked by W2R, what are you going to use to determine which brand is better?

OH, BTW, they also are specific on the models as various models in brands can have a huge difference in quality....
Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post

Yes, good to hear the on-line experience is good too.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote