Join Early Retirement Today

nm
Old 09-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #1

nm

nm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Time for another Fish Picture
Old 09-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Oh wow, that is a HUGE fish!

For some reason, I always thought that fly fishers caught small trout or something....
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love your fish pictures.

Do you eat any of them or just throw them all back. I'd want to eat them, I love fish.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

So when you go fishing do you think "you know, I think I would like to catch a 110 pound fish today..." and put on heavier line, or will the normal stuff hold a fish that large?

I agree, salmon is the best. I love to BBQ it.... my fav recipe is this:

4tbs butter
4tbs dijon mustard (not stone ground)
8tbs soy sauce

I'm just guessing on the qty there, and if you have a larger filet, you'll need to scale it up... I just eyeball it =)

mix it up and put it on the fish, and put that sucker on the BBQ (you usually need a little foil 'boat' to put the fish in).... good stuff.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #5

Jalapenos huh? that sounds great, I never thought of that, but will definitely have to try it.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some guy on tv had a solution for the "what to do with the rest of the fish..." question.

He brought along a cardboard box folded up, and a small cast iron skillet. After they caught the fish, he stuck several wet sticks through the cardboard box. Built a small fire and put the skillet full of wet wood chips on it. Set the box on top of the fire, set the fish on top of the sticks (near the top of the box) and closed the box up. Occasionally add some dry chips to the 'fire' and some wet ones to the pan. Several hours later, smoked fish.

Looked like something you'd have to frick around with a few times to get it right.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Your Friend's Fish
Old 09-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Your Friend's Fish

Your friend's salmon is getting pretty red, and it looks like his jaw is starting to hook. Was he caught in salt water?

Mikey
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #8

Re: Your Friend's Fish

Quote:
Your friend's salmon is getting pretty red, and it looks like his jaw is starting to hook. Was he caught in salt water?

Mikey
Mikey,

This is not a Salmon. It is an Arctic Char (cousin of the Brook Trout. The jaw still gets hooked (kyped) when spawing. The Red colors are spawing colors like the Brook Trout. Fish was caught in a Fresh Water River a few miles from the salt of the Arctic Ocean.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 AM   #9

Hey Cut-Throat, good luck on your trip. BTW, if you
will be adventuring somewhere during the election, don't forget to cast an absentee ballot

You mentioned if you just want to eat fish, it's a lot cheaper just to buy farm/hatchery raised. I agree of
course, and it reminded me of when I was an avid duck hunter. Absolutely loved wild duck, but on a cost per
lb. basis? You needed a ton of stuff (boat, motor, guns,
decoys, land to hunt on, etc). That duck was real
expensive. I ate up the last of mine in about 1999.
I lost my killer instinct (for ducks, not liberals ).
If I was able to practice C and R with ducks I might
still be hunting.

John Galt
Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hey John - wild ducks pretty easy to catch.

You just need a bag of bread and a stick.

Kinda upsets the little kids at the duck feeding pond, but hey...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #11

I'm going to try both of your salmon marinade recipes; they really sound great. Sadly enough, the salmon I eat is bonless skinless individually wrapped and frozen. I usually marinade in teriyaki. I suspect the fresh is hands down...the best.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Try it 'cedar planked'. Go to the hardware store and find yourself a cedar board or shingle - make sure its untreated - wide enough for a big slab o' salmon. Cut off a long enough piece and soak it in water for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.

Fire up the grill, put your piece of salmon on the cedar plank and put it on the grill, closing the cover. Reduce heat to low or medium depending on your grill heat. The idea is to get the bottom of the plank starting to smoke.

Check the fish and remove it, plank and all, when its done. The plank keeps the fish moist, protects it from direct flame, and the wood and little bit of smoke adds nicely to the flavor. And you can use it as a cutting/serving board!

I dont marinate fish prior to cooking, I find the salt in most marinades robs the fish of a lot of its moisture. I like to make a homemade teriyaki glaze with brown sugar, real chinese soy sauce (look at the ingredients list for soybeans instead of wheat), green onions, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Simmer it in a pan until its maple syrup consistency and paint on the planked salmon.

Another excellent recipe requires very little work. Cold sugar cured salmon.

Take a boned salmon filet with skin still attached. Rinse and pat dry. Put it in a large ziploc bag. Add equal amounts of coarse kosher salt and sugar. You can vary the 'sugar' to be white, brown, mollasses, honey, etc. I use brown sugar with a squirt of honey. You want to completely coat the fish and then some, so several cups of both for a large piece of fish is recommended. Add some green herbs if you have a taste for them...dill is good with salmon. Zip the bag, put it in a shallow pan or dish that allows the filet to lay flat. Put something large and heavy on top of it like another same-size pan with a 16oz can or something else you have inside the fridge like a big bottle of ketchup. You just want to put some pressure on the fish and squeeze it a little bit. After refrigerating a good 10-12 hours, remove from the fridge and drain out the liquid, there will be plenty. Add a little more fresh salt and sugar if you're not getting good coverage and put it back in for another 12-15 hours for cuts under an inch, 15-20 hours for thicker cuts. I usually use a 12" piece from the tail of the salmon thats not terribly thick. Remove from the fridge, rinse the filet and pat it dry.

Slice thinly on a bias and serve with toast or crackers, and cream cheese with green onions. You can also use it in recipes for salmon cakes, salmon croquettes, and soups. Lilghtly sautee some and serve it with bagels, cream cheese, thinly sliced red onions and scrambled eggs for breakfast. The salt/sugar combination removes a lot of the liquid from the salmon, cures it, keeps it relatively stable and safe to eat while refrigerated, and it'll last a week or two in the fridge once prepared this way. Yes its raw, but it has more a consistency of gravlax/cold smoked salmon without the smoke flavor.

This method works with a number of types of fish.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:43 PM   #13

I'm reading these fish recipes and I keep expecting you
to say "Now throw the fish away and eat the plank."

John Galt
Old 09-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have! I saw it first on "the surreal gourmet" some years ago. Sort of like guys who cook on their car engines...interesting, but probably not something I'd make a weekly habit out of!

http://www.surrealgourmet.com/html/recipes/salmon.html

Make sure your hot water heater is turned up, or you have a dishwasher that heats the hot water up.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 AM   #15

When's the cookbook coming out.....The Financial Gourmet.. Put me down for 1 book please.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm..you mean there could be money to be made...?