Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Reality Check - Friend Dies...............
Old 10-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Egads,
I took the test several weeks ago.
I'll call my doctor tomorrow.
Thanks for the warning

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dropping dead from a heart attack is probably my biggest phobia. The heart is the one thing in my system where I think evolution screwed up on the design. I would have made things a little more fault tolerant.

Anytime I feel any sort of pain anywhere in my upper torso, I go through this little ritual:

-- I move around to verify that the pain was muscular rather than heart-related (I've heard that cardiac pain doesn't go away with movement).

-- I'll cough (this probably does nothing, but the idea is that the diaphram can sort of fill in for the heart to get things pumping).

-- I'll pop an aspirin. Aspirin is a cheap blood thinner, so if your arteries are clogged, this will help prevent blood from coagulating and completely blocking an artery.

Basically, fear of CHD has made me crazy

Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 AM   #23

Hi Wab! Still on the diet, but more cheating now....
(only a bit ). Now, I need to get blood work done
to see if any changes. One good thing is that I am
more aware of diet and exercise and thus more likely to make better choices. I doubt I would agree to
cholesterol-lowering drugs unless someone told me
I was in imminent danger of dying. Anyway, I understand your angst, although your biggest fear
is probably my biggest wish. I would love to just drop
dead, just not yet

Got to go eat my oat bran................

John Galt
Old 10-04-2004, 05:14 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'll cough (this probably does nothing, but the idea is that the diaphram can sort of fill in for the heart to get things pumping).
I heard that coughing can help sometimes (e.g., some types of temporary arrythmias), and hurt at other times (e.g., some types of coronary artery blockage, burst blood vessels). *My opinion is that if you cough, it is best to fully research the subject so that you understand when it will help, and when to avoid it. *It can be dangerous.

Quote:
I doubt I would agree to *
cholesterol-lowering drugs unless someone told me *
I was in imminent danger of dying.
It might be too late by then. *Most of the time it is better to find a good doctor, and do what the he says. *Blocked vessels don't always lead to quick and easy deaths. *Often, a person winds up disabled, unable to do what they want to do because of a damaged heart. *A blocked vessel in the brain can leave you paralyzed. *Nasty stuff if you can improve your odds of preventing it with one tiny pill per day.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:48 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
One good thing is that I am
more aware of diet and exercise and thus more likely to make better choices.
Yep, simply going from eating food to making conscious decisions about what I eat was a big help. Eventually the "cheating" becomes a slippery slope, which is why most diets fail. That's another reason why I like a low-carb diet. You don't have to be a martyr to follow it, so there's less incentive to cheat.

Now if I can just shake off this phobia of coughing.....