Join Early Retirement Today

nm
Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

nm

nm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How to recharge Camera Batteries in the Back Country............
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Will you have a 12v supply, in a vehicle for example? A cheap inverter might work. That's how I kept laptop, cell phone, camera battery, etc charged on the boat.

Just be sure to check the manual -- there are some chargers that won't work well with an inverter.

All the inexpensive solar stuff we saw was not well regulated, so it was useful for recharging wet cell batteries, but not for any "normal" use.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What kind of batteries? If AA/AAAs, you can get a solar battery recharger. I bought a friend one and it works great in the backcountry for her camera.

eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #4

how about a solar backpack

www.voltaicsystems.com

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brunton makes a foldable solar array, the Solaris 6, that can be attached to the top of your backpack while you hike, and used to charge small electronics.* My boss used it in Kilimanjaro the last two weeks to charge his iPod.* Can be used with phones and cameras and other devices.
www.brunton.com

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #6

The sun doesn't get very high in Alaska, so you won't get as much power you would in the "lower 48" as the sun goes through a lot more of the atmosphere at low angles. October is past the equinox, so you'll have less than a half day of sun with it declining towards December.

Presumably you'll spend a lot of time in the woods where you'll get even less usable sun.

Also, given the angle and path the sun rotates around the compass rather quickly, so you'd probably have to re-point the solar cell several times.

I lived in Alaska for 9 years, so I know about the sun, but I haven't actually used solar cells up there, so I'm not sure how much the power is reduced.

I can't think of any alternate ideas offhand for recharging batteries.

I just did a quick search on freezing batteries, and some sites are actually suggesting freezing alkalines or NiMH batteries. Freezing lead acid batteries of course is not good; perhaps that's what you've heard about batteries in the cold.

Besides, I don't think you'll experience a harsher climate on Kodiak island than you would in Minnesota. The ocean tempers the climate.

I just thought of another alternative: Take a film camera as a backup. That's right, kick it old school. You can have the developer digitize when they develop the film.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #7

bmj

I had thought of taking my old film camera, but wanted to see if there were any alternatives. I won't be in the woods in Kodiak, because where I go there are no trees. I was not sure how much sun you needed to generate any power. My battery charger uses a special 'rechargeable battery that plugs into an AC oulet. I may just buy about 4 extra batteries and see if they hold a charge for the week. No big deal because this will be my 8th trip to Kodiak.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #8

This may not apply to your situation, but I just bought some of the new Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeable AA batteries for my fairly new Canon 3 megapixel camera. They last for 150-300 pictures per set of batteries. Depending on how many pics you plan on taking, that might do the trick. Our old rechargeable batteries had a lower mAh rating, and I guess they "got old" and went bad, as they wouldn't hold a charge for more than 20 pics or so.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this what you had in mind?

www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000189.php

Judy
Old 06-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

CT, I recommend the cheap hand crank/rechargable battery emergency radio from Radio Shack. *I think it is Model 20-238. *Did a great job recharging my camera battery packs with adapters.* Also has a female USB jack on back and comes with 4 tips for Samsung, Ericsson, Nokia and Siemans mobile phones. *I use it for camping in Sierras. *Does a good job charging phone and has AM/FM/SW capability in case you want to listen to the fishing/weather report too. * *It worked great for SW and recharging camera batteries when I was in Antarctica in Dec. *Temp never got above 20 F and it was summer!
starboardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardtack
CT, I recommend the cheap hand crank/rechargable battery emergency radio from Radio Shack. I think it is Model 20-238. Did a great job recharging my camera battery packs with adapters. Also has a female USB jack on back and comes with 4 tips for Samsung, Ericsson, Nokia and Siemans mobile phones. I use it for camping in Sierras. Does a good job charging phone and has AM/FM/SW capability in case you want to listen to the fishing/weather report too. It worked great for SW and recharging camera batteries when I was in Antarctica in Dec. Temp never got above 20 F and it was summer!
now THAT is cool. im sure there's a crang generator with a regular plug on it (ac/dc)?
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote