Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

No Buds, no Leaves, is this Plum Tree Dead
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No Buds, no Leaves, is this Plum Tree Dead

Older tree , no fruit at all last year , just a few buds and leaves. This year, nothing at all, and some holes about 1/16 dia in the bark, looks like from some kind of insect ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Where are you? I'm in California and my plum tree is full of leaves.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Where are you? I'm in California and my plum tree is full of leaves.
SOCAL. I guess it's like I am thinking like my goldfish floating on the surface is just sleeping.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Older tree , no fruit at all last year , just a few buds and leaves. This year, nothing at all, and some holes about 1/16 dia in the bark, looks like from some kind of insect ?
its hard to tell from the picture
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My plum is the last to leaf out, but it did so a couple of weeks ago. Dig a fingernail into the bark and look for green cambium just under the bark. If there's no green anywhere, you need a new tree.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
My plum is the last to leaf out, but it did so a couple of weeks ago. Dig a fingernail into the bark and look for green cambium just under the bark. If there's no green anywhere, you need a new tree.
Man, that's cold. The guy just lost his fig tree. Have a heart
Old 05-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sounds like a borer type pest or fire blight. Either way I'd replace it. Best to put something from a different genus it that place. In this case avoid anything from Prunus. There is a greater likelihood of the young tree of the same genus failing to thrive or dying from disease/bugs if put in the same location.
hollowelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

Be the envy of your neighborhood. Buy this and hang it from your tree.https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=32229500...pp=true&chn=ps
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
its hard to tell from the picture
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1493945352
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.jpg (888.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (637.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (667.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #10

It certainly looks to be in a catatonic state right now, as previously posted the Fake Fruit Pears, Plums Plastic Artificial Decor might make a pleasant addition

Some of the leaves are torn, view pictures. The torn leaves will add more realism. By contrast the bush with the red blooms looks spectacular . Is it possible that it has fully matured to a prune tree? hahahaha
Old 05-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

You might want to try this, if the name is accurate you might have a chance, it certainly looks like a miracle is needed.Miracle-Gro® Fruit and Citrus Fertilizer Spikes (100396) - Plant Spikes & Tree Stakes - Ace Hardware
Old 05-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

You may have this problem.
The Signs & Symptoms of Borers in Fruit Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate
Old 05-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

This is the best thread ever, im have so much fun on it. I hope this tree returns to a fruit bearing , wonderful looking, owner enjoyment item
Old 05-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #14

The Plum Tree is Plum gone. With the years of drought and bugs. Didn't find any green under the bark anywhere.

I saved the trunk for some woodworking project in the future. The wood looks like it could be used for furniture if it was from a larger tree.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was going to say......may the plum tree RIP. But I guess in this case it will be carved up into several pieces.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
The Plum Tree is Plum gone. With the years of drought and bugs. Didn't find any green under the bark anywhere.

I saved the trunk for some woodworking project in the future. The wood looks like it could be used for furniture if it was from a larger tree.
Maybe you can plan another one. I have nearly 60-70 small and medium fruit trees in my small yard. I intend to remove those trees that are not productive and make room for more.
Right now I have 4 plum trees, 2 with 4in1 type and two green gage kind of plums. I had sucesss with it in NorCal, produces tons of delicious fruits. I never buy any plums in the super market. They taste too bland.