Join Early Retirement Today

No cell phone
Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

No cell phone

Yes... I know it's unthinkable.
...however...
in this world, you cannot function without one.

Trying to verify my identity on my internet provider, the only choice is to have a cell phone.
Echo devices need a cell phone to activate.
... and on and on...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a smart phone, but I'm not a big user. I do get aggravated when something/someone requires a cell phone. I generally find email on my computer to be more convenient than my cell phone. The option of receiving a text is fine, but allow for email, or if possible, a voice phone call/message.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buy a $10 used Android smart phone. No plan.

Put the TextNow app on it through Wi-Fi. (Do you have wifi?)

TextNow gets you a free (ad supported) number. Just send one text every 30 days.

There is a Windows App too to receive the texts.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have a smart phone, but I'm not a big user. I do get aggravated when something/someone requires a cell phone. I generally find email on my computer to be more convenient than my cell phone. The option of receiving a text is fine, but allow for email, or if possible, a voice phone call/message.

-ERD50
+1. I have a simple flip phone on a pay-per-minute plan, so I use it as little as possible.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My life is too fluid to not have a cell phone. Would love to not have one but that is the way of the world. It has gotten me to and fro many times in distant lands. I just need to turn off the ringer occasionally as some idiot woke me up this morning.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think cell phones are great. Especially my iPhone XR just bought a few months ago. Some of those cheaper phones might be a poor experience.

But you are free to ignore cell phones.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
No cell phone
Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

No cell phone

Cell phones are here to stay.* My daughters have had them since they were teens, and have never had a land line.

*(until replaced by the next newest communication device)
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have little use for a phone. These days, it sits in the kitchen until it beeps to let me know that the battery is about to die. I get an email of voicemails (very, very few and far between) and have "messages for Android" on my office desktop that is very convenient. If I leave the house, my DW is usually with me and since she carries hers all the time, I don't need mine.

Since I leave the call blocker on (will only allow my contacts to ring through) all the time, it rarely rings.

It's actually quite liberating to not have the thing attached to me 24/7.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Cell phones are here to stay...........
Oh sure, that's what they said about CB radios.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

I could get rid of my phone except for the connection to my car. I have Apple Play. With that, I get two things I really like and it works seamlessly. First is music. I listen to Pandora and it has my preferences dialed in very well. I would never pay extra for Sirius XM and while I could certainly live with the FM radio, it’s very nice to listen to music while I’m driving. Second is navigation. I seriously don’t know how I got around without it. I think it is THE app for the phone. Voice commands are fantastic, not having to look at your phone or take your eyes off the road is great. With Apple Play, Waze projects onto my car’s screen and works just like a manufacturers installed nav unit. Voice comes through my speakers in the car. I really like it, not only around town, but especially on a trip. I’m hooked.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I just need to turn off the ringer occasionally as some idiot woke me up this morning.
Most phones have a "do not disturb" feature that allows you to turn off the ringer and notifications, but allows those you choose as special exemptions to get through. For example, I turn on "do not disturb" at night but if my aging parents call me it will go through. Random calls stay silent but I can check call history and voice mail in the morning.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #12

My smartphone is with me at all times. Mainly, it's how I communicate with family and friends via text, email, social media, and yes, occasionally by voice call or video call. Though voice is probably the least-used method of communicating lately. Our kids and grandkids are all nearby and we all coordinate activities every day using our phones.

The second most used feature is the camera. DW and I take pictures and video every day (grandkids, projects, activities), which are automatically uploaded to both Google and Amazon so we can view them on the TV at the end of the day. We also like the sharing capability and search function using facial recognition, location, and other features.

Third most useful capability is GPS navigation with real-time traffic updates, POIs, and other features. I turn it on even when I know exactly where I'm going because both Waze and Google Maps do an excellent job of getting you around slowdowns.

It's also a necessity for Uber and Lyft, which we are using more and more when we travel. I use Pandora and Tidal for music and I also listen to podcasts while working in the shop. It's necessary to monitor our Wyze security cam. We use it for boarding airplanes and getting into sports/performance venues whenever possible. Also using it more for picking up purchases using lockers at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. It's pretty much a necessity when traveling to get real-time flight status updates, gate changes, etc. It's also needed for 2FA authentication at Fidelity using VIP Access. Also keep my password application on the phone so my complex passwords are always accessible. And when I'm waiting in line somewhere or otherwise have some downtime, it's convenient to catch-up on news, weather, social media, or just play a video game.

Without my smartphone, I would be lost in space. I suppose it's easy to say I don't need all that stuff... until the gate changes on your flight twice while you're grabbing some lunch between flights. That happened to us last Sept. I like keeping up with technology in general, but smartphones in particular have made me more productive and enhanced my life in more ways than I could possibly list here.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Even though I don't use my cellphone much, I still appreciate it very much for when I do use it. I'm not looking to get rid of it.

But as I said earlier (may have been misinterpreted?), I don't like being forced to use it when there are options that would work as well or better for me, like email, which I can read on my computer and have a full keyboard instead of the smallish screen and touch. And it's easier to multitask between other things.

To be crystal clear, if a website/person asks for my phone number so they can text me, I want them to also offer the option of an email, so they can email. Not a Luddite, just that some tools work better for some people than others. It's not one size fits all.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Samsung S7 Edge which I bought used for $200. It's connected to my Fitbit Versa watch. As much as I would rather have a flip phone, I need this for texts, my Fitbit stats, and an occasional call. I use a Garmin for maps and I really prefer that over Google maps.

DW has an Apple 6S+ and uses it a lot for texts Facebook (Ugh!) and calls. She would be helpless without the connections with her children (previous marriage) and friends. We bought her phone used also.

My friends all have smart phones and most of them can't operate them worth a damn. Two guys have mentioned going back to flip phones but have not done that as yet.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My friends all have smart phones and most of them can't operate them worth a damn. Two guys have mentioned going back to flip phones but have not done that as yet.
Tell them to spend 10 minutes on a YouTube tutorial to learn how to use their phones.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Tell them to spend 10 minutes on a YouTube tutorial to learn how to use their phones.
I'm pretty sure most of them would rather play golf than watch Utube videos about smart phone uses. They are retired and really don't care that much. (I'm serious about this)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I remember a similar discussion about iPods 15 years ago.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I remember a similar discussion about iPods 15 years ago.
And where are the IPods today?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

I have a google voice number that I use for SMS/text messages. Some identity verification systems, however, do not deal well with non-traditional, non-post paid contract cell phones.

I have had issues recently with:
- Venmo funds transfer service
- IRS transcripts
- USPS Informed Delivery

I know that IRS has evolved to allow other identification channels. USPS allowed me to go to the Post Office and perform a manual ID verification.

Venmo, on the other hand, does not seem to provide any alternative methods.

I definitely feel your pain on this.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And where are the IPods today?
They're integrated into your smartphone. Along with your GPS, camera, alarm clock, flashlight, calculator, guitar tuner, ebook reader, etc.