Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

No Kids, happier Lives??
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No Kids, happier Lives??

I am sure many of you also saw this:

Interesting reading for those of us who have kids, and those of us who don't............

WP: Happy marriages, kids optional - washingtonpost.com Highlights - MSNBC.com

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

When I see salmon struggling up hundreds of miles of river, over waterfalls, past gauntlets of fishermen, I say to them, "Listen, you don't really need to do this. You can just stay in the ocean and eat lots of other fish. I know that it's hardwired into your brain to want to do this, but, really, not necessary for you."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Interesting reading for those of us who have kids, and those of us who don't............
Good article. Kids aren't the glue to a happy marriage, they're the shackles. Parenting is a life sentence with no parole for good behavior!

Our marital rule is that either one of us is free to leave at any time. However the first one to leave has to take our teenager with them.

I put the parenthood decision in three categories
1) Can't imagine not having kids
2) Can't imagine having kids
3) Didn't want to spend the rest of our lives wondering...

Having said that, I'm glad to be a parent. I just had no idea it would be so hard, and if I'd known that in advance I'm not so sure I'd be a parent.

Gene Simmons & Shannon Tweed seem to have done a good job raising their two kids during 22+ years of happy unmarriage. Erma Bombeck said it best: "People get married to worry about money together."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i think i've posted this before that someone said that the buddha said that you can not reach enlightenment in the life where you have kids because regardless of how unattached and unworried you can become in your own life you will always remain concerned for your children.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have never seen kids save an unhappy marriage.

On the other hand, I know friends who are very happy to have kids in their lives while others, like DW and I, are happy without them, just like the article said.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad that some people would think that the purpose of children is to make their parents happier or a marriage stronger.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a very happy childfree person, I like the article, but I do have to admit that it's only saying that children do not a happy marriage make. It does seem to indicate that children provide satisfaction for the parents as individuals, just not as a couple (possibly because each parent's experience is different and kids can be divisive).

I don't think you'll ever convince the majority of married couples that kids are not essential to their marriages, especially with churches pushing the agenda to multiply and get more church members. And having kids doesn't even seem like such a couples thing anymore, with so many getting divorced or single people having kids on their own.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not having kids should be on the list of solutions to stop global warming.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Not having kids should be on the list of solutions to stop global warming.
May help global warming, but isn't going to help with the Social Security pyramid scheme....
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
May help global warming, but isn't going to help with the Social Security pyramid scheme....

Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i think i've posted this before that someone said that the buddha said that you can not reach enlightenment in the life where you have kids because regardless of how unattached and unworried you can become in your own life you will always remain concerned for your children.
Interesting since Buddha was married and had a son (who became a disciple).
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
that's what immigration is for.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 07-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
oh, had no idea. i like to study mystic aspects of world religions but as to the particulars of the religions themself, i follow all that about as closely as i do athletics. maybe it was a different buddha who commented while they were all playing the vollyball in nirvana or something.

and stop interrupting me while i spread falsehoods i've read from dubious sources.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Then he should know!
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

It would be interesting to know how many ER people do not have children, or people aspiring to ER.

I'm about to turn 30 this month, and wife and I still aren't sure if we ever wanna have kids, especially with our retirement so close at hand. We would rather spend 30-40 traveling the world.

Not to mention the financial part of having a child........
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who just turned 49 and had his sixth kid. He said he is going to be 71 when she graduates but it makes him happy.

Happiness is what it is all about, for me it will be ER.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
It would be interesting to know how many ER people do not have children, or people aspiring to ER.

I'm about to turn 30 this month, and wife and I still aren't sure if we ever wanna have kids, especially with our retirement so close at hand. We would rather spend 30-40 traveling the world.

Not to mention the financial part of having a child........
I am 48, retired last year. I was married from 27-34. I was sure enough that
I did not want children to get "fixed" as quickly as I could find a doctor who
would perform the procedure on a young, unmarried guy.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I have a friend who just turned 49 and had his sixth kid. He said he is going to be 71 when she graduates but it makes him happy.

Happiness is what it is all about, for me it will be ER.
Some of us HAVE kids, AND will be FIRED, it just takes a healthy dose of LBYM...........

Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I am 48, retired last year. I was married from 27-34. I was sure enough that
I did not want children to get "fixed" as quickly as I could find a doctor who
would perform the procedure on a young, unmarried guy.
Why would a doctor question your wishes?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why would a doctor question your wishes?
They told me that 26 was too young to make a decision like that,
and that I was almost certain to change my mind later, and that
reversing it was difficult, expensive, and often failed.