Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wouldn't want to boondock where I need to run the genny for AC. Not intentionally anyway. Boondocking somewhere in the NW, or along the Alcan highway is more of what I have in mind.
We tried boondocking near Crater Lake. 3 nights, 2 years ago, and my wife still brings it up at least once a week. Boondocking now is a Wal-Mart, about twice a year when I have mis-estimated travel time. Each of those is also mentioned not long after Crater Lake.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
We tried boondocking near Crater Lake. 3 nights, 2 years ago, and my wife still brings it up at least once a week. Boondocking now is a Wal-Mart, about twice a year when I have mis-estimated travel time. Each of those is also mentioned not long after Crater Lake.
Yes, I have heard of Crater Lake, but have not been there.

Please elaborate. I am all ears.

PS. I just remember that I can drive my RV up to boondock at my 2nd home, at 7000ft on the Mogollon Rim. Temperature of 70F as we speak. Boondocking? No, I shall make it a full hookup, as electricity, water and sewer connections are right there, at the same corner of the house.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not to mention that a supplementary braking system is required by law in almost every state: Towing Laws - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
I just found this Web site that claims many states do not require a tow brake as long as the towing+towed combination meets a stopping requirement: Toad Brake Requirements

This requirement is the stopping distance for a 20mph speed. This varies from 25 ft to 50 ft, depending on the state.

There's conflicting info here!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's conflicting info here!
And you're surprised about that?

Law or no law, I'm not towing without toad brakes.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

You most likely beat the most stringent requirement of 25 ft stopping distance. But by how much? Let's find out the next time you drive. :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You probably beat the most stringent requirement of 25 ft stopping distance. But by how much? Let's find out the next time you drive. :-)
You go first.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And you're surprised about that?

Law or no law, I'm not towing without toad brakes.
Me neither! Even though in TX my 4000lb toad does not require tow brakes.

Audrey
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You go first.
Now that I've learned of this braking requirement, once I have it all installed I will certainly benchmark myself against it ... in front of my house. Only 20mph! I will be sure to stow everything securely though. ;-)

Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And heck, it looks like you will have to keep working for many more years to support those two houses and your RV, so what better do you have to do than work on that baby while it sits in your driveway?
Did you edit to add that after first posting it? I saw that just now.

MANY MORE YEARS? Nah! Only till the Dow gets back to 14,000.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I took pictures of our Roadtrek today (the first) in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. (Maybe it does look like it has 60,000 miles on it.) I thought I would post them here rather than in "What did you do today" because I need to clarify my earlier statement about "boondocking." DW reminded me today (while exploring the campground within the park) that we had originally bought the RV to do exactly that -- photographs at sunrise in Arches NP was the tipping point. Anyway, RV Parks have clearly spoiled me rotten... I need to "snap out of it" and get my act together.

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

I envy the compactness of those class B's, and loved my Great West Sprinter. Nice motorhome.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Nice RV there, Ron. We would have been happy with a class B too. No toad required. What engine size is it?

We bought a used class C because we happened to run across one with only 25K miles, and the price was "too good" to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I envy the compactness of those class B's, and loved my Great West Sprinter. Nice motorhome.
I was eyeing these Sprinters for a long time. However, even when used, they cost more than the common used class C's. Left to myself, I would have bought one, but my wife cringed at the bigger check we would have to write for it.

By the way, you did not love it enough. You sold it and got the Trail Manor before getting the current class A, if I remember correctly. One reservation I have about these Sprinters is that their Cargo Carrying Capacity was only a few hundred pounds. Light travelers can live with that, but that CCC does not leave a lot of reserve. And I once have seen people towing a toad with a Sprinter. I wonder if it was safe.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice RV there, Ron. We would have been happy with a class B too. No toad required.
Thank you. We are so pleased I cannot even put it in words.

Quote:
One reservation I have about these Sprinters is that their Cargo Carrying Capacity was only a few hundred pounds. Light travelers can live with that, but that CCC does not leave a lot of reserve.
Yeah, that 3/4 ton chassis bothers me a lot also. Well, that and how narrow the interior space is... and how tall it is for that small frame. I know... the fuel economy is better than the gas-driven 1 ton chassis. Oh! That fuel costs a lot more though so maybe not so impressive.

Again, who cares about fuel economy when the sleeping accomodations are so "cheap."
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Again, who cares about fuel economy when the sleeping accomodations are so "cheap."
Well, with my gas guzzler class C, I will have to boondock even more to save money for gas.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought I would post them here rather than in "What did you do today" because I need to clarify my earlier statement about "boondocking." DW reminded me today (while exploring the campground within the park) that we had originally bought the RV to do exactly that -- photographs at sunrise in Arches NP was the tipping point. Anyway, RV Parks have clearly spoiled me rotten... I need to "snap out of it" and get my act together.
There are several levels of boondocking. Some feel that only dispersed camping on BLM land qualifies.

To us- anywhere we don't have W-E&S- and Intenet.... we are roughing it.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, with my gas guzzler class C, I will have to boondock even more to save money for gas.
Well, what I meant was: Drive any car and stay in a hotel and see how your "gas guzzling" Class "C" matches up even if you don't "boondock." (Even if you deduct the "not being able to see what you want to see" issue.)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

When it comes to RVs and RVing, economy is not the point!

Audrey
Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When it comes to RVs and RVing, economy is not the point!
That's, also, what I meant.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, what I meant was: Drive any car and stay in a hotel and see how your "gass guzzling" Class "C" matches up even if you don't "boondock." (Even if you deduct the "not being able to see what you want to see" issue.)
Yes, very very true. I was joking.

I just need time to get out of my old way of thinking that it is OK to pay $100/night for hotel, but it is not OK to blow that out the tail pipe.

But the fact is that RV traveling is DIFFERENT than what we have done in the past, and has its merits even if it costs more - but it doesn't. As I wrote earlier, we loved the experience on our first short trip to Parker, AZ. And I think boondocking is going to be FUN. It does not have to be completely in the wilderness either.

In Parker, we stayed at a small park operated by the state, and paid $26/night for electric and water hookup. No cable, no Internet. No sewer, but there was a dump station. Due to the 26' length of ours, we could park at one of their "waterfront" lots facing the Colorado River, which were normally for people camping in tents and using the on-site clean bathrooms and shower facilities. We coexisted peacefully with those campers in adjacent slots, didn't turn on loud music or string up lights (like the RV'ers that youbet encountered once ).

We drove up to Lake Havasu for sightseeing, as I had never been there although I have been a long-time Arizonan. As we toured the little island connected to land via the well-known relocated London Bridge, we decided to park by the water to have lunch with soup and salad. That was when I wished I had an inverter to run the microwave to heat the soup without running the genny.

Oh man, all this talk makes me want to hit the road bad.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That was when I wished I had an inverter to run the microwave to heat the soup without running the genny.
Next to the microwave on the road, I most value this:

Iwatani Portable Gas Stove

It stores in a little carrying case and weighs practically nothing. The propane is relatively cheap and each can lasts forever.