Join Early Retirement Today

No mo' aloha for you!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

No mo' aloha for you!

Must be a slow news day in Paradise:
StarBulletin.com - Mobile Edition

Quote:
With dogged determination, the group that successfully fought to ban billboards in Hawaii has set its sights on a new, alleged offender: the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.
The Outdoor Circle claims the 27-foot-long hot dog icon is merely a billboard on wheels.
"It's something that would detract from Hawaii's unique beauty and lower the quality of life for our residents," said Bob Loy, director of the organization's environmental programs. "It's the same reason we don't have billboards on our roads. It's an extension of that."
The Outdoor Circle says the Wienermobile violates a 2006 law banning vehicular advertising because, unlike delivery trucks, its primary purpose is to promote a product.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes weenies get a bad wrap rap.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Administrator

Wow, talk about memories from childhood. I haven't even thought about the Outdoor Circle for 30 years and had completely forgotten about it. Several of my mother's friends belonged. Maybe my mother did, too.

As for the wienermobile, I think it is a billboard on wheels! Off with their heads! You can tell that I'm from the area because I could easily get all fired up about something that stupid.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow, talk about memories from childhood. I haven't even thought about the Outdoor Circle for 30 years and had completely forgotten about it. Several of my mother's friends belonged. Maybe my mother did, too.

As for the wienermobile, I think it is a billboard on wheels! Off with their heads! You can tell that I'm from the area because I could easily get all fired up about something that stupid.
Some of this junk can make you long for a place like Paraguay. Or a long drive on roads with See Rock City signs, or 697 miles to Harold's Club Reno, or a 1000 reasons to use Burma Shave.

I wish we could get some cracker with a backhoe and bulldozer to dig a big hole and fill it with environmentalists.

PS- Don't out me to my neighbors.

Ha
Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I wish we could get some cracker with a backhoe and bulldozer to dig a big hole and fill it with environmentalists.

PS- Don't out me to my neighbors.
What, you don't want them to know you're a Salsa-dancing version of Archie Bunker?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sometimes weenies get a bad wrap rap.
They are more dangerous than they look.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1406-Chicago-Community-Life-Examiner~y2009m7d18-Wienermobile-crashes-into-Racine-area-house
Old 07-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did the OC complain when the SPAM-Mobile shows up? Or would that be a politically incorrect view, given Hawaiian's love of everything SPAMmy?

Hmmmm, now here's an interesting mobile that can drive down my freeway any day!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What would they do about the Goodyear blimp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa french.jpg (48.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
They are more dangerous than they look.

Wienermobile crashes into Racine area house
Weenies don't kill people, people kill people....
Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but if you eat a dozen weenies a day, and you die of morbid obesity, do you commit suicide, or do the weenies kill you?

You would say suicide and I agree with you, but there are people who will sue the weenies just as they sue McDonald.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but if you eat a dozen weenies a day, and you die of morbid obesity, do you commit suicide, or do the weenies kill you?

You would say suicide and I agree with you, but there are people who will sue the weenies just as they sue McDonald.
Yeah, there would probably be a weenie class action lawsuit. I'm sure the grievances would grow as Vienna sausages and bratwurst would be added. Oh..........the horror.....
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you don't sue your weenies, who, er what do you sue?

Hmm, there is something not sounding quite right about my post, but I cannot place it.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Did the OC complain when the SPAM-Mobile shows up? Or would that be a politically incorrect view, given Hawaiian's love of everything SPAMmy?
Good question. After all, that's Spam and not weiners!

The Spammobile was here a couple times, last in 2006, but the vehicle-ad law was passed that year.

The sordid side of the story is that the vehicle-ad law was probably passed to shut down the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, which was driving trucks around Waikiki wrapped with anti-abortion ads showing pictures of aborted fetuses. Raised quite a ruckus, almost as much as their lawsuit to fly sign-towing planes off the beach with the same sort of campaign. They took the FAA and Hawaii all the way to the Supreme Court and lost.
starbulletin.com | News | /2006/12/05/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
What would they do about the Goodyear blimp?
Yeah, I guess the airplane-ad law would "shoot" that down too. I wonder how the blimp does in 15-25 knot tradewinds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Hmmmm, now here's an interesting mobile that can drive down my freeway any day!
Yikes, I'd hate to have that staring into my rearview mirror!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wonder how the blimp does in 15-25 knot tradewinds...
Depends on whether it's a headwind or a tailwind...and I assume the following numbers are air speed, not ground speed:

Quote:
The usual cruising speed is thirty-five miles per hour in a zero wind condition; all-out top speed is fifty-three miles per hour.
The Goodyear Blimp || Frequently Asked Questions

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Depends on whether it's a headwind or a tailwind...and I assume the following numbers are air speed, not ground speed:
Not much margin for error, and it doesn't mention whether the gondola is water-tight or even buoyant...

I guess it'd be easier to just do a two-point moor to the upper deck of Aloha Stadium.