No more car washing?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
"By creating a protective layer of air between the paint and environment, it effectively stops standing water and road spray from creating dirty marks on the car's surface," ...

Working at Nissan's Technical Center in Bedfordshire, England, the company has thus far tested the paint in a variety of weather conditions. It "responded well" to sleet, frost, snow, and standing water, according to the statement. They painted one side of the car with Ultra-Ever Dry and the other side with standard car paint.
Is this the end of the carwash? - CBS News

Living on a gravel road - my dream solution.

Sure, you can have my bug sponge, my wash mitt, and even my tire brush.
Just pry them from my cold, dead hands...:mad:

I haven't hand-washed my car since 2008 (!). It's garage-kept, from 2003, and still looks good.

I saw an article about that paint. It will sell well. At most you just have to hose it off.

Cars are going to come a long way. Self cleaning, self driving....

Haven't washed a car in a very long time. The place I take it twice a year washes it.

I don't have a garage like Steelyman, although I would sure like one someday! I don't even have a carport. My poor Venza sits out on my driveway exposed to the elements.

Still, I have never washed it during four years of ownership. With an average 60+ inches of rain each year here, combined with a nice paint color that doesn't show dirt, it doesn't look too bad to me.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about someone with my car washing habits. :D

Interesting paint! I want it for my RV. I wonder if it can be applied to my home, my outdoor furniture, etc... Bathroom shower wall and door?

Hey, but why stop there? Is this paint heat tolerant? Applicable to kitchen utensils, pots, and pans? Better than Teflon? Put on dishes and bowls?

Just think of all the water that we will save, never having to wash the above items ever again.

I haven't hand-washed my car since 2008 (!). It's garage-kept, from 2003, and still looks good.

Compared to me, you are OCD. ;)

Can't recall the last time I washed, or had my 2000 Volvo washed. 2003?

The 2011 CR-V has never experienced the feeling. They are garage kept.

Both bought new.

-ERD50

W2R: I hope you move to a place with a garage! They are great, although some mouse figured out how to get into mine and runs around like Houdini. I don't want to trap him, let him be.

ERD50: that's funny :) I did it on a really nice day mainly to be outside. People passing by wave at you and say "hey, come to my house!". But we have that road salt up here...

Last edited:
I don't have a garage like Steelyman, although I would sure like one someday! I don't even have a carport. My poor Venza sits out on my driveway exposed to the elements.

A garage will spoil you real quick, at least it did us. Prior to this house we'd never had one. We'll try hard to never live without that again.

No heat-soaked car in the summer. Even on the hottest days the A/C cools the inside down within a couple of blocks. No more scraping frost, ice and clearing off snow (I know you don't get that in N.O.) but it's a real pain.

And not being subject to the widest extremes of temperatures and UV light slows the deterioration of the interior and paint so the car lasts longer.

We like to keep them clean and do wash frequently, usually by hand unless the weather is too cold. So they stay clean longer.

I'm amazed at the number of people who have garages and then leave what is for most people their 2nd most expensive purchase outside while the garage is filled with junk.

One of the local DJs commented on this and said he would like it more if they invented the no clean interior. I tend to agree with him.

I wonder if the car treatment is similar to this stuff:
Can I get this stuff to spray on myself for my RV trip to Alaska? Mosquitoes would slide right off my skin, and cannot land to take a bite.

Back
Top Bottom