Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Will we get a discount from Netflix ?
Barring treks to a P.O. Box, it means no more squeezing out two-Netflix-DVDs per week on the one-DVD-at-a-time plan. Netflix could upgrade everyone to a two-DVD plan...
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One less pound of glossy catalogs to throw in the trash. No wait, they will just deliver it Monday. Bummer.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Now that I'm pretty much 100% ebills and am on all the "no junk mail" lists my mailbox is pretty much empty. Might check twice a week max. Maybe they ought to go to three days a week
How did you manage that? We use Catalog Choice and contact sources via phone or email, and new sources "find" us all the time. We HATE all junk mail!!!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
As far as I'm concerned going down to a four day week or even a MWF delivery schedule would be just fine.
Me too, but the USPS has a bigger problem.

One of their big expenses is paying the pension/benefits for all the retired and soon to be retired employees. Downsizing the business doesn't help with those fixed costs. The costs savings from reduced delivery days will help a bit, but just a bit.

That's the problem with these pension 'promises' (public and private). You just can't count on the business/entity being able to fund these in the same manner over long time periods. But people do count on it.

USPS needs to find a way to efficiently expand their business, not downsize it further. Good luck with that. Must be something a bunch o small trucks and people driving a route each day could do in addition to mail delivery? OK, I'm stumped.

edit/add after reading the cross posts: Maybe I'll take notes for a few weeks, and track how much mail or how many days we get mail that really was best handled by snail mail. Probably incredibly small.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
One of their big expenses is paying the pension/benefits for all the retired and soon to be retired employees. Downsizing the business doesn't help with those fixed costs. The costs savings from reduced delivery days will help a bit, but just a bit.
Though lots of articles still blame the 'unfair pension expenses', by their own admission they're losing money now even without the PAEA payments, so the "accelerated" payments have been a red herring for several years.

It's time to stop beating that drum...
"Initially, the effects of the PAEA’s mandatory payments to the Postal Service Health Benefits Fund on the USPS’s profitability were considerable. This may be illustrated with a hypothetical—if the USPS did not have to pay into this fund each year, it would have experienced no operating losses until FY2009. However, despite Congress’s reduction of the RHBF payment owed in FY2009 and its delay of the RHBF payment owed in FY2011, the USPS’s expenses exceeded its revenues these years."
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41024.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png USPS.png (420.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png USPS2.png (479.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This is fine with me, and I am far from paperless on the bill-receiving side although many of my bills are paid without mailing out a check. It does mean our Monday mail deliveries will be bigger.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
As far as I'm concerned going down to a four day week or even a MWF delivery schedule would be just fine.
I was about to post the same thing. I think Monday, Wed, Friday would be more than sufficient. I actually only pickup my mail once per week as it is. I get a few statements and things in the mail, but pay 95% of my bills online now. I mail maybe 12-15 items per year these days. Last week I stopped by the post office to pickup stamps and it dawned on me that it had been 2 years since I had purchased any.

I think the end of the US postal service is something I will see in my lifetime (45 now).
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
+1

I'd even be good with once a week. All of my bills are online, all of my finances online, all of my entertainment online. Can't think of anything I really need to get via mail anymore. Don't need the solicitations/junk.
The junk is how they try to subsidize the fact they are grossly undercharging us all for mail delivery. A stamp should cost something like $3.40, not $0.40.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something tells me that longterm this will not really save money. They are lowering their level of service which is usually the wrong thing to do. Are they talking about seriously cutting back on the number of employees or cutting the hours (and pay) of current employees as a result of this cut in saturday service? They will probably actually get less productivity out of their employees with this change. I personally do not care whether I get saturday home mail delivery but it might be important to some people, including some who are running businesses from their homes. Some of those people are probably already exploring other options, like Fedex and UPS. If they take their business to those carriers instead of USPS the USPS will be losing the rare part of their business which actually makes money for them. Who knows? I could be completely wrong about this.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #30

OMG! It's The End of the World as We Know IT (and I feel fine)
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

In addition to eliminating Saturday delivery, the USPS is also consolidating their handling centers. As a result, starting a few days ago mail from Dayton, Ohio (Birthplace of Aviation! And the automatic transmission, NCR, etc.) stopped getting a Dayton postmark. It is now marked "Columbus". It's a small indignity, another kick in the butt for a town that deserves better. Oh, well.
I figured mail was cancelled at a much lower level, maybe even at the local post office. I guess not.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #32

Doesn't bother me. They can cut down on other days for all I'm concerned. I rarely if ever get personal letters or cards anymore, and I get only a couple of bills that I can't pay online. I've cut out all catalogs, etc. So the rest is just junk mail.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sick of being ripped off! I sent a small brochure to a friend who only lives about 3000 miles away from me. I had to WALK to the mailbox in front of my house where the envelope was picked up by the USPS, then it took 3 days to get to my friend's place, where it was delivered to his mailbox which is about 100 feet from his front door. He had to WALK to his mailbox and back to get the envelope!!! And I had to pay almost 50 cents for this lousy service!!!!!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
stopped getting a Dayton postmark. It is now marked "Columbus". It's a small indignity, another kick in the butt for a town that deserves better..
I don't believe it is the Postal Service's business to make the citizens of any town feel better about themselves, or compensate them for past indignities. There job is to deliver the mail. If they are doing that well, that should be enough for anybody.

However, if people really want their home town postmark, maybe the USPS should offer a special service to the town: For an extra fee (maybe $1-$2 extra) they can deposit the mail in a special mailbox where somebody will hand cancel it with the town's postmark. Perhaps these jobs could help reduce local unemployment.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
[COLOR=black]Though lots of articles still blame the 'unfair pension expenses',...
Before this gets out of hand and porky shows up... I want to make it clear that I didn't express any opinion regarding the 'fairness' of the pensions.

I was only commenting that they are a relatively fixed cost and that downsizing doesn't change it - That stream is already committed. I was under the impression that it represented a sizable portion of the budget. I'll look at your link and research that a bit later...

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #36

I welcome the end of Saturday mail delivery. It's just one less thing to think about when I want to take off for a few days without submitting a mail hold.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Before this gets out of hand and porky shows up... I want to make it clear that I didn't express any opinion regarding the 'fairness' of the pensions.

I was only commenting that they are a relatively fixed cost and that downsizing doesn't change it - That stream is already committed. I was under the impression that it represented a sizable portion of the budget. I'll look at your link and research that a bit later...

-ERD50
And my point was they've lost money by their own admission for 4 years straight if they'd had ZERO retirement prefunding, you need only view the graphs (theirs) attached. Reading the pdf is optional.

You brought up "their big expenses paying the pension/benefits for all the retired and soon to be retired employees" - and many have claimed their unfair, common refrain. After 4 years it's time to stop beating that drum, that was the central point...

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I don't believe it is the Postal Service's business to make the citizens of any town feel better about themselves, or compensate them for past indignities. There job is to deliver the mail. If they are doing that well, that should be enough for anybody.

However, if people really want their home town postmark, maybe the USPS should offer a special service to the town: For an extra fee (maybe $1-$2 extra) they can deposit the mail in a special mailbox where somebody will hand cancel it with the town's postmark. Perhaps these jobs could help reduce local unemployment.
As you'll note, I didn't say the postal service should leave the Dayton center open nor that they are responsible for maintain high morale in this fair city. Welcome to the board.
I've trumped your plan: I'll go into business manufacturing stamps that Daytonians Daytonas Daytonites people living in Dayton can use to add their own Dayton "cancellation" at the top of the letter. Just don't cover the stamp and it's legal.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

mailbox - is that where you get your 8track tapes delivered to?
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Must be something a bunch o small trucks and people driving a route each day could do in addition to mail delivery? OK, I'm stumped.

-ERD50
Coolhaus

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote