Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm confused by the comment about hostility towards USPS and the four (or more) agreements.

Was any hostility expressed in this thread? What exactly are you talking about (but please, just skip it if it isn't relevant to the thread, or is just porcine pheromone). Do I get extra points for alliteration (or is it alliteration with different sounds?)?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually its not quite to every house. In newer developments there is the cluster mail box concept, where a whole bunch of houses share a common location.......
Yea, but you get my point. It is a huge burden that UPS and Fed Ex don't bear. In my rural neighborhood the mailman stops at every box, on both sides of the road.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
+1

In fact when the weather has caused bad road conditions, the USPS still delivers the mail, while the private package delivery companies are nowhere to be seen. This certainly has happened in my community.
Actually, in the last big storm here (FEB 2011) they suspended mail delivery for a day (maybe two?). Which was fine, most everything was shut down, and having more delivery vehicles on the street would have just been in the way of the clean-up. I'm pretty sure the other deliveries were postponed as well. But they really ought to change their motto about snow, sleet and all.

Wait a minute...

United States Postal Service creed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The United States Postal Service has no official creed or motto.[1]

An inscription on the James Farley Post Office in New York City reads:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.[1]
OK, maybe they need to take a chisel and hammer and do a bit of editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Time to post, but no time to look at the graphs you were responding too first? Got it...

Now I understand, that makes no sense whatsoever...ALL revenues and ALL expenses are shown.

I stand by my content. But I realized late yesterday afternoon that I was just in a bad mood, winter cabin fever I suppose. For that I apologize.
I'd accept that apology, but the attitude seems to be continued even in the same post that you are 'apologizing' in. Maybe you do need to get out of the house?

Quote:
Time to post, but no time to look at the graphs you were responding too first? Got it...
Yes, you got it EXACTLY. I can't imagine why you would question me on this. I guess I need to paint you a picture...

I was working on a project and I had to monitor an adhesive - I needed it to set to just the right point where it was sticky, but not cured. It was time to check on it and finish the project if it was ready, and I was about to get up from my computer to do so. I really did not want to take the time to post anything, but when I saw that 'fairness' thing slip in, and saw it might be tied back to my comments, I wanted to quickly clarify my comment, and hopefully not come back to a closed thread.

So I took the time to do that, but I did not want to take the added time to try to analyze and interpolate values from the scale on those graphs. It's not something I could do and respond to in seconds (I'm slow I guess), and I already was overtime on checking my project.

There, was that really necessary?

If any of my follow-up comments indicate I misunderstood something in those graphs or anything else, or misspoke, please correct me on a factual basis. I'm here to learn, and I sure could have got it wrong, and would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

haven't read all responses; may have been addressed.
being an ex-PO worker, I'll believe it when I see it. my opinion; PMG Donahoe is trying to light a fire under the a$$es of congress to get them to move on "reform". and if/when they do, they'll prolly mandate six-day
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, but you get my point. It is a huge burden that UPS and Fed Ex don't bear. In my rural neighborhood the mailman stops at every box, on both sides of the road.
It's actually worse - instead of going to each house FedEx/UPS have to go into the same rural area and deliver perhaps just one house.

That's kind of how the SmartPost and SurePost concepts were born. To assist each other and share the cost/revenue of rural deliveries - since the USPS is going to every box every day, anyway.

IMO the biggest cost is walking to every house. Like meierlde mentioned, clustered mail boxes would cut costs tremendously.

I would miss mail and don't think we could really live without it. I also think being a postal carrier is a tough job and have a lot of respect for what they go through outdoors.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems this thread was wrong after all. Saturday deliveries will continue :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No difference - everything is electronic so all we get is junk snail mail...
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #68

I find it very odd that so many people are up in arms about eliminating Saturday paper mail delivery (my understanding was that packages would still be delivered on Saturdays which should mitigate most business impact). I can't think of any piece of mail that has come on a Saturday that would have been less valuable on Monday. And if you are timing birthday cards that closely, why?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Disappointing outcome, but just another step. Chalk it up to politics and special interests giving us a result most Americans didn't support. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...4_story_1.html

Overall 80% of Americans support moving to 5-day/week delivery..."by the People" doesn't seem to mean much anymore (vs special interests/campaign funding). I'd be fine getting my junk mail 5-days a week instead of 6 days. There's almost nothing we really need that comes via USPS anymore, our "leaders" are just forestalling the inevitable.

http://about.usps.com/news/national-...lts-130214.pdf

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote