No more letter delivery on Saturday

This is fine with me, and I am far from paperless on the bill-receiving side although many of my bills are paid without mailing out a check. It does mean our Monday mail deliveries will be bigger.

As far as I'm concerned going down to a four day week or even a MWF delivery schedule would be just fine.

I was about to post the same thing. I think Monday, Wed, Friday would be more than sufficient. I actually only pickup my mail once per week as it is. I get a few statements and things in the mail, but pay 95% of my bills online now. I mail maybe 12-15 items per year these days. Last week I stopped by the post office to pickup stamps and it dawned on me that it had been 2 years since I had purchased any.

I think the end of the US postal service is something I will see in my lifetime (45 now).

+1

I'd even be good with once a week. All of my bills are online, all of my finances online, all of my entertainment online. Can't think of anything I really need to get via mail anymore. Don't need the solicitations/junk.

The junk is how they try to subsidize the fact they are grossly undercharging us all for mail delivery. A stamp should cost something like $3.40, not $0.40.

Last edited:
Something tells me that longterm this will not really save money. They are lowering their level of service which is usually the wrong thing to do. Are they talking about seriously cutting back on the number of employees or cutting the hours (and pay) of current employees as a result of this cut in saturday service? They will probably actually get less productivity out of their employees with this change. I personally do not care whether I get saturday home mail delivery but it might be important to some people, including some who are running businesses from their homes. Some of those people are probably already exploring other options, like Fedex and UPS. If they take their business to those carriers instead of USPS the USPS will be losing the rare part of their business which actually makes money for them. Who knows? I could be completely wrong about this.

In addition to eliminating Saturday delivery, the USPS is also consolidating their handling centers. As a result, starting a few days ago mail from Dayton, Ohio (Birthplace of Aviation! And the automatic transmission, NCR, etc.) stopped getting a Dayton postmark. It is now marked "Columbus". It's a small indignity, another kick in the butt for a town that deserves better. Oh, well.
I figured mail was cancelled at a much lower level, maybe even at the local post office. I guess not.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me. They can cut down on other days for all I'm concerned. I rarely if ever get personal letters or cards anymore, and I get only a couple of bills that I can't pay online. I've cut out all catalogs, etc. So the rest is just junk mail.

I am sick of being ripped off! I sent a small brochure to a friend who only lives about 3000 miles away from me. I had to WALK to the mailbox in front of my house where the envelope was picked up by the USPS, then it took 3 days to get to my friend's place, where it was delivered to his mailbox which is about 100 feet from his front door. He had to WALK to his mailbox and back to get the envelope!!! And I had to pay almost 50 cents for this lousy service!!!!! :rolleyes:

stopped getting a Dayton postmark. It is now marked "Columbus". It's a small indignity, another kick in the butt for a town that deserves better..

I don't believe it is the Postal Service's business to make the citizens of any town feel better about themselves, or compensate them for past indignities. There job is to deliver the mail. If they are doing that well, that should be enough for anybody.

However, if people really want their home town postmark, maybe the USPS should offer a special service to the town: For an extra fee (maybe $1-$2 extra) they can deposit the mail in a special mailbox where somebody will hand cancel it with the town's postmark. Perhaps these jobs could help reduce local unemployment.

Though lots of articles still blame the 'unfair pension expenses',...

Before this gets out of hand and porky shows up... I want to make it clear that I didn't express any opinion regarding the 'fairness' of the pensions.

I was only commenting that they are a relatively fixed cost and that downsizing doesn't change it - That stream is already committed. I was under the impression that it represented a sizable portion of the budget. I'll look at your link and research that a bit later...

-ERD50

I welcome the end of Saturday mail delivery. It's just one less thing to think about when I want to take off for a few days without submitting a mail hold.

Before this gets out of hand and porky shows up... I want to make it clear that I didn't express any opinion regarding the 'fairness' of the pensions.

I was only commenting that they are a relatively fixed cost and that downsizing doesn't change it - That stream is already committed. I was under the impression that it represented a sizable portion of the budget. I'll look at your link and research that a bit later...

-ERD50
And my point was they've lost money by their own admission for 4 years straight if they'd had ZERO retirement prefunding, you need only view the graphs (theirs) attached. Reading the pdf is optional.

You brought up "their big expenses paying the pension/benefits for all the retired and soon to be retired employees" - and many have claimed their unfair, common refrain. After 4 years it's time to stop beating that drum, that was the central point...

Last edited:
I don't believe it is the Postal Service's business to make the citizens of any town feel better about themselves, or compensate them for past indignities. There job is to deliver the mail. If they are doing that well, that should be enough for anybody.

However, if people really want their home town postmark, maybe the USPS should offer a special service to the town: For an extra fee (maybe $1-$2 extra) they can deposit the mail in a special mailbox where somebody will hand cancel it with the town's postmark. Perhaps these jobs could help reduce local unemployment.
As you'll note, I didn't say the postal service should leave the Dayton center open nor that they are responsible for maintain high morale in this fair city. Welcome to the board.
I've trumped your plan: I'll go into business manufacturing stamps that [-]Daytonians[/-] [-]Daytonas[/-] [-]Daytonites[/-] people living in Dayton can use to add their own Dayton "cancellation" at the top of the letter. Just don't cover the stamp and it's legal.

Last edited:

-ERD50

And my point was they've lost money by their own admission for 4 years straight if they'd had ZERO retirement prefunding, you need only view the graphs (theirs) attached. Reading the pdf is optional.

Actually, I had to step away from the computer and didn't even have time to look at the graphs - I just wanted to get some pig repellent out there before it was too late.

So now I've looked the graphs. The first does not address the issue of how significant the retirement costs are - it just says they are losing money even before looking at that cost. So the cost could be big or small, right? I haven't figured out if this term 'pre-funding' in the second represents the whole of their retirement costs, or is some short term catch-up payments to the fund. But I did find this:

$15.9 billion loss highlights need for postal legislative reform

The $15.9 billion loss was driven by $13.4 billion in expenses that were outside the control of the Postal Service in the short-term. These expenses include the $11.1 billion retiree health benefits prefunding expenses and the expenses related to the long-term portion of workers’ compensation. When these expenses are deducted the net loss would have been $2.5 billion.

Operating expenses of $81.0 billion (including the $11.1 billion expense associated with prefunding retiree health benefits) compared to $70.6 billion the year before

OK, I guess that $11.1B is the same as shown in beige in graph 2, but that graph doesn't show total expenses. So $11.1B of $81.0B is 13.7% of expenses, and makes up ~ 70% of the loss. I'll say (and said) that is a 'big expense' that is independent of reduced delivery days.

Actually, I will say that the graph 2 is really slanted. They are showing all of that 'pre-funding' as part of the loss, when the loss is made up of ALL revenue minus ALL expense.

You brought up "their big expenses paying the pension/benefits for all the retired and soon to be retired employees" - and many have claimed their unfair, common refrain. After 4 years it's time to stop beating that drum, that was the central point...

Who is beating what drum?? I certainly did not interject 'unfair' into this discussion, I was merely pointing out it is a big expense unaffected by reduced delivery days (the subject of this thread). In fact, I go out of my way to avoid that sort of subjective language. I do point out that when discussing pensions, factors such as COLA and when you can take it are important for an apples-apples discussion (COLA being worth ~ 2x, and taking at 55 versus 65 another 2x) - those are factual, not judgmental.

Anyhow, my general point about these types of pensions (public and private) is that they are promises that are hard to keep. And that's not good for anyone. If instead of promising future $, they funded an employee's account, similar to a 401K, then if the business has to downsize and cut employees, that expense would be reduced in kind. And each employee would have what they earned to date, with no concerns about the future viability of the business affecting their retirement stash. And personally, I feel a lot more secure in my 401K/rollover/IRA, which has nearly doubled in value since the end of 2003, than in my pension, which is whittled away by inflation each year.

-ERD50

What would happen if the USPS decided to eliminate mail delivery of any kind, ever again? I'm sure this has been discussed by the current package delivery giants. Could UPS, FEDEX, etc. come up with a plan to take over all the USPS offices and the corresponding service in short order? I think they probably could and would do it in a profitable manner.

What would happen if the USPS decided to eliminate mail delivery of any kind, ever again? I'm sure this has been discussed by the current package delivery giants. Could UPS, FEDEX, etc. come up with a plan to take over all the USPS offices and the corresponding service in short order? I think they probably could and would do it in a profitable manner.
I'm sure they'd open dinky local offices in every town in every congressman's district and run them at a loss, too. And deliver to every house everyday, no matter how rural or remote.

travelover said:
I'm sure they'd open dinky local offices in every town in every congressman's district and run them at a loss, too. And deliver to every house everyday, no matter how rural or remote.

If that did happen, it certainly would force me to start paying my bills online. As I am sure I wouldn't want to pay for the delivery cost.

They're still going to deliver parcels on Saturday. The mail carriers on my route (I'm a UPS driver) and the scuttlebutt on our employee forum is that the plan is to change the mail carriers routes into M-F routes. They are going to terminate all the "casual" mail carriers @$22/hr. and re-hire them with a different job classification (CBA is what I think they call it - no idea what it stands for) @$16/hr to work on Saturdays delivering packages.

The USPS has shared delivery arrangements with both FedEx and UPS - SmartPost and SurePost, respectively. I believe this is the cheapest shipping option currently available from online retailers. The arrangement is that FedEx and UPS transport the package to its destination zip code (because the USPS is not equipped to handles so much freight) and then transfer the package to the USPS and they deliver "the final mile" (because they are going to every house anyway). The USPS receives $1 per box from FedEx and UPS.

They bit off more than they could chew however and underestimated how many people receive packages. Recently UPS starting holding back the SurePost deliveries if there were 2 or more for the same address or if another package (ground, 2nd day, next day) was being delivered that day, and we deliver them. I'm not sure if FedEx is doing the same.

I honestly don't know if they can make money with this Saturday parcel delivery. I average 20-25 residential deliveries an hour (one every 2 1/2 - 3 minutes). It's a break neck pace. They will be getting $1/box and paying someone $16/hr (I'm not sure if $16/hr is incentive enough to work at a 25 stops per hour pace). Add vehicle wear and tear and the cost of gasoline....

Last edited:
As you'll note, I didn't say the postal service should leave the Dayton center open nor that they are responsible for maintain high morale in this fair city. Welcome to the board.
I've trumped your plan: I'll go into business manufacturing stamps that [-]Daytonians[/-] [-]Daytonas[/-] [-]Daytonites[/-] people living in Dayton can use to add their own Dayton "cancellation" at the top of the letter. Just don't cover the stamp and it's legal.

Ahh... very good! Sort of like the old Easter Seal stamps we put on envelopes to decorate them.!! I like it! Maybe add a motto such as "Find your daylight in Dayton." :confused: ;)

I honestly don't know if they can make money with this Saturday parcel delivery. I average 20-25 residential deliveries an hour (one every 2 1/2 - 3 minutes). It's a break neck pace. They will be getting $1/box and paying someone $16/hr (I'm not sure if $16/hr is incentive enough to work at a 25 stops per hour pace). Add vehicle wear and tear and the cost of gasoline....

Is it possible that Saturday delivery will be a premium service and cost more than an extra $1? We don't' usually get UPS or FedEx deliveries to homes on Saturday for no extra cost.

I have never understood the hostility to the USPS at all. I think they have a great service at an unbelievable price. I have never lost a piece of mail. There current problems have several sources. First, e-communications have changed the pattern and volume of mail traffic.

Another problem is unfair competition from the private carriers. Some years ago USPS launched a successful overnight delivery service to compete with Fedex at half the price. This was a smart move to leverage their infrastructure that was already in place. They advertised the product on TV and in print using the stylzed eagle logo that you have all seen. However, you haven't seen it lately. The reason for that is that Fedex and DHL went to court to try to stop the USPS from competing successfully. The judge threw it out of court. Next, Fedex and DHL went to Congress where they have considerable clout since they can contribute to political campaigns and the USPS cannot. They were successful with the result that Congress passed a law to prevent the USPS from advertising their $7.99 overnight delivery service. Although they still provide the service, it has been crippled by the prohibition against advertising. So, Fedex and DHL are being subsidized by stifling legitimate.

So, what might look to the uninformed like the triumph of capitalism over government-provided services is, in fact, the opposite.

Is there a revised schedule for the Pony Express?

Last edited:
Is it possible that Saturday delivery will be a premium service and cost more than an extra $1? We don't' usually get UPS or FedEx deliveries to homes on Saturday for no extra cost.

It doesn't cost the consumer $1 extra, rather that $1 is the USPS cut of the total shipping charge. They are currently delivering these packages along with the regular mail so a Saturday delivery would not be a premium service but more of a delayed service - until Saturday.

For most people receiving parcels on the cheap, that aren't urgent, on Saturday, will be great from the standpoint of getting signatures if required, and reducing theft. It will be easier for the USPS to hire people to only work Saturdays. But the profit margin will be so slim I'm not sure they can pull it off.

Like you said, maybe they do have something else up their sleeve in addition - like a premium Saturday delivery that is cheaper than UPS/FedEx.

Back
Top Bottom