Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't bothered to update my avatar, either. I have a ponytail now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sparked a memory...
In 1978, women midshipmen were still a novelty since they'd only been at service academies for two years. Male midshipmen all had their stories about sneaking hot chicks into Bancroft Hall, the world's largest dorm, through various back-door and underground passages. Such claims were heavily discounted, although thoroughly researched.

Plebes had to travel in uniform that year when heading home on Christmas leave, and we'd learned that in our service dress we got free beer treated better on the airplanes anyway. But you stood out in a crowd and people felt compelled to share all their war stories with you.

As we were leaving the aircraft, one of the flight attendants leaned over to me and murmered "I've spent the night in Bancroft Hall!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...In 1978, women midshipmen were still a novelty since they'd only been at service academies for two years.
You just dotted a really dated "i" for me. I graduated HS in 1976 and was being very actively recruited by the Coast Guard and AF for OCS. Now I know why!
I ended up winning a full scholarship to any NY state college, so I chose that path.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Male midshipmen all had their stories about sneaking hot chicks into Bancroft Hall...
All, no doubt, in preparation for:

Tailhook scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
women midshipmen
When will this be officially changed to midshipchicks?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
You just dotted a really dated "i" for me. I graduated HS in 1976 and was being very actively recruited by the Coast Guard and AF for OCS. Now I know why! :laugh:
Lemme put it this way. The women of '80 are trailblazers who put up with a tremendous amount of unnecessary crap in pursuing equal opportunities. (Sound familiar?) Only today is USNA hitting the demographics (at least 20% women graduating) to call the process self-sustaining. However over 30 years later the '80 women still regularly get together for group therapy. And every once in a while I'll make a comment or my spouse (USNA '83) will read something that sets her off, leaving me in the middle of a minefield with no detection gear or exit maps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
When will this be officially changed to midshipchicks?
Hey, it's a rank, not a gender! That heritage is the only thing keeping us squids from being confused with the zoomies and the woops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
All, no doubt, in preparation for:
Tailhook scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The photos, videos, and testimony are even worse. They had more than enough warnings and opportunities to amend their ways before they did it to themselves. It didn't help, however, when SECNAV John Lehman was getting right down there with the strippers at the 1980s Tailhooks.

My spouse said that when women were going into the academies (and later into combat billets) the more senior officers generally understood because they had college-age daughters. And their peers were mostly on board because they'd never known anything different. But a significant minority of the guys in between those two generations had to retire or die before things began to improve.

After Tailhook the nukes heaved a huge sigh of relief "there but for the grace of God". I hope they keep that in mind as women enter the submarine force today.

My daughter still doesn't understand why anyone would volunteer for submarine duty just to get a periscope tan around one eyeball. So I offered her more training, faster promotions, a higher caliber of shipmates, submarine pay, and $25K/year bonus pay. She's beginning to feel the pull of the Dark Side see the light...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuclear Vegas-hook.JPG (35.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, it's a rank, not a gender!
Reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio a few days ago with a female member of Congress from TN (can not recall the name). She calls herself Congressman XXXX not Congresswoman XXXX because she says that is the way that Constitution or other founding document named the position and that's the way she prefers it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio a few days ago with a female member of Congress from TN (can not recall the name). She calls herself Congressman XXXX not Congresswoman XXXX because she says that is the way that Constitution or other founding document named the position and that's the way she prefers it.
I find Congresswoman exceedingly awkward so I use Representative instead.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I find Congresswoman exceedingly awkward so I use Representative instead.
Hmmm. Better but I still prefer "that weasel."
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmm. Better but I still prefer "that weasel."
Hey hey hey, a little respect here.

I think it's supposed to be "The Honorable Weasel Representative Schmuckatelli".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Heh, and to think, all I have are stories of the dorm where I met my wife (we both lived there), what with the co-ed cattle showers, hotwired out of service elevator that was turned into mobile party room, and the infamous bike derby (complete with compost catapult on the roof of the dorm).

And for the record, my avatar is a reasonably good approximation of real life.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

W2R, are you shopping for a new avatar now, since your current one has that wistful, wanting-2-retire look?

I've found some great Eva Habermann shots for you to choose from. Let me know if you need help examining these closely. This one seems appropriate:

Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

OTOH, this could be you doing oceanography...

Work, work, work...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #53
Administrator

Uh, T-Al, I think I'll stick with the pensive Eva pose I am presently using. But I'll keep those in mind.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I rest my case:

Senatorís Aid to Mistressís Husband Raises Ethics Flags
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It might have been worse. Remember what King David did to Uriah the Hittite, husband of Bathseba, who had lain with David?

Ha
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It might have been worse. Remember what King David did to Uriah the Hittite, husband of Bathseba, who had lain with David?
That must have been before my time.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
who had lain with David?
David was quite a playa...

Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
David was quite a playa...
Not unexpectedly.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

What is the subject of this thread?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
What is the subject of this thread?
The lainee, the layee, and the laidee...of course.