no more wall rotary dimmer switches for lights

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can't find any on Amazon. Are they no longer made? You know, turn the wheel to change the brightness of a light, press the wheel to flip the light on/off. I don't need LED compatibility. Amazon has dozens of dimmers that are flat plates or sliders, none of which will are suitable for my purpose. They also have replacement wheels, but I'm looking for the wall switch.

Thank you, braumeister. I searched many different terms, including those in the name of that switch, and it never came up. A head scratcher. OK, so they still exist. I'm glad because I much prefer that design to, for example, sliders since the rotary remembers the prior brightness setting.

Thank you, braumeister. I searched many different terms, including those in the name of that switch, and it never came up. A head scratcher. OK, so they still exist. I'm glad because I much prefer that design to, for example, sliders since the rotary remembers the prior brightness setting.

There are some slider dimmer switch designs that have a slide to adjust the brightness, AND a separate on/off switch. This design would also remember the brightness setting.

There are some slider dimmer switch designs that have a slide to adjust the brightness, AND a separate on/off switch. This design would also remember the brightness setting.

+1 We have this style.

Basically traditional wall switch with a very subtle slider immediately adjacent to the part that comes out of the wall.

Here is an example

Last edited:
Fruitridge.com is my go-to for aging liquidation electrical

+1 We have this style.

Basically traditional wall switch with a very subtle slider immediately adjacent to the part that comes out of the wall.

Here is an example

We have these also but it is real easy to slid the slider when turning on or off the light.

We have a bunch of the sliders. The dials look old fashioned.

To update this saga...

To replace the failing one, I bought a new rotary switch. "It's intended for a 3-way circuit, but it'll work with ordinary circuits too." Turned out "work" meant it'll flip the light on and off, but not dim. If I didn't want dimability (word?), I'd have purchased a common, standard wall switch.

OK, took that one out, replaced it with a new Lutron non-3-way. It does as desired except it lacks illumination of the knob. This is for bathroom use, and at night the tiny light eases finding the switch.

OK, took that one out, replaced it with a new GE illuminated non-3-way. We're getting closer! This one does what it says, what they don't tell you is it makes a LOUD CLICK when pushed on and off, less than ideal for sleepytime use. Also, there's are two relatively minor user interface issues that the former switch handled better. When clicking the knob to turn the light on, this new switch does not send the current to the lamp until you release the knob. That means you can't adjust the brightness without pressing, removing your hand, then reaching back to turn the knob. Additionally the knob is a smooth circle that lacks tactile feedback, so in the dark you can't tell what brightness level will come on initially. The knob is plastic, so I can solve the feedback issue by filing a notch into it.

The engineer in me wonders who designs these things, and if they test them in real situations.

I dunno.

After [-]almost 1-1/2 year[/-] 6 months, you are still looking for a better switch. I would have given up on the 2nd day.

Have you looked at Harbor Freight to see if they have a switch to your liking? :hide:

PS. Regarding the error above, which I caught and corrected, I constantly forgot what year this is.

Just a few days ago, I found a good deal on H&R Tax software, and almost clicked on "buy" when I realized that it was for 2018. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Funny, we have dimmer switches on several lights. We never use that function. As we age, the preference is to get as much light as possible versus making a room romantic. :cool:

My parents used to have (what looked like) a regular toggle on/off switch. The tip of the switch lever had a small orange glowing light (neon?) and the movement of the switch up and down was the dimming mechanism. It was completely silent in operation. They had this in the bathroom. Middle of the night you get up, easily see the faint orange glow, flip the switch up about a third of the way and enjoy a dimmed bathroom that won't sear your eyeballs out of your head. I've looked for these for my own house and haven't been able to find them. I have found a dimmable switch that looks like a regular switch but didn't have the lighted lever option.

Last edited:
My parents used to have (what looked like) a regular toggle on/off switch. The tip of the switch lever had a small orange glowing light (neon?) and the movement of the switch up and down was the dimming mechanism. It was completely silent in operation. They had this in the bathroom. Middle of the night you get up, easily see the faint orange glow, flip the switch up about a third of the way and enjoy a dimmed bathroom that won't sear your eyeballs out of your head. I've looked for these for my own house and haven't been able to find them. I have found a dimmable switch that looks like a regular switch but didn't have the lighted lever option.

We had one of those, too!:dance:

Might this one work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-A...nge-Kit-Black-White-Gray-TAL06P2-C5/304535006

Romantic bathroom? Well, with the right person...

My parents also had that lighted switch that smoothly moved from off to on. That was my second option after the rotary but I didn't happen upon any.

Better late than never with the status update.

That's the idea. The one at the link lacks the "pilot light" or "night light" in the tip of the switch handle.
We have ones in the MB, they have a night light and slider. 20191112_154239.jpeg

Funny, we have dimmer switches on several lights. We never use that function. As we age, the preference is to get as much light as possible versus making a room romantic. :cool:

When the dimmers failed, I just replaced them with normal switches. I already figured out what light level worked, so simply put in the bulbs with the right wattage.

My parents used to have (what looked like) a regular toggle on/off switch. The tip of the switch lever had a small orange glowing light (neon?) and the movement of the switch up and down was the dimming mechanism. It was completely silent in operation. They had this in the bathroom. Middle of the night you get up, easily see the faint orange glow, flip the switch up about a third of the way and enjoy a dimmed bathroom that won't sear your eyeballs out of your head...

For the toilet closet, I put in an infrared motion sensor switch. In the middle of the night, I can get in/out without fumbling for any switch. The separate fan switch is retained, but wired to the light sensor. Two birds with one stone. No more leaving the fan running all night.

Romantic bathroom? Well, with the right person...
I like to dim the bathroom lights at night when I'm showering just before bed...helps me relax and ready my mind for sleep. My wife always says that bright lights should be avoided in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom