Join Early Retirement Today

No snow days for these folks
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No snow days for these folks

Not All of D.C. Was Shut Down Last Week.
These guys were given the time off during the bad weather, but every one of them refused and manned their posts. This is Arlington at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

And they have my utmost respect...Salute!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bless their true-hearts.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think any member of the Honor Guard would risk being the one to break the chain of never having left the Tomb of the Unknown unattended. I known a few who served on the post.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Very impressive. I live in the area and that was one nasty snow storm. Started as sleet then came the "thunder snow" and wind.

Traffic was horrible everywhere. Took DH 6 hours to drive the 12 miles home from his office. Seems like everyone in the area was complaining about the traffic, power outages and other problems. Not these guys though.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, bless them for their service.

I assume there are enough of these guardians that they can take sick days and vacation days?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I assume there are enough of these guardians that they can take sick days and vacation days?
Sick days? No such thing in the military.

Oh, and military members are not authorized vacation, they can only take leave.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sick days? No such thing in the military.

Oh, and military members are not authorized vacation, they can only take leave.
And better have orders to prove being on leave.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:

+1

Very impressive. We had the privilege of watching the ceremony and talking with a few of the soldiers. Incredibly dedicated men.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I don't think any member of the Honor Guard would risk being the one to break the chain of never having left the Tomb of the Unknown unattended. I known a few who served on the post.
I never served in the military but I do understand the motivation: "Not on my watch!"
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
And they certainly wouldn't want to come to the attention of the command sergeant major, either...

But I agree that the servicemembers who are selected for that duty would never have thought about breaking the chain in the first place.

Quote:
That's pretty funny. Well, sure, no problem, as long as the watchbill can be re-written from three-section to port & stbd!

30 days of leave are awarded each year (in arrears, not in advance) at the rate of 2.5 days/month. After a certain balance (90 days? 120 days?) it starts getting cut off at the end of the fiscal year (September) except for extremely unusual hardship cases. I mean harder than the usual hardship cases.

Most of the leave has to be taken rather than sold back. IIRC only 60 days total can be sold back during an entire 20-year career, but the rules differ by service and by wartime policy. And when it's sold back, the servicemember is only give the base-pay value of that leave without its allowances.

If a servicemember is seriously wounded then leave rules are temporarily set aside and convalescence orders are issued. However I'm pretty sure that those rules are also poorly written and inconsistently supported.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
30 days of leave are awarded each year (in arrears, not in advance) at the rate of 2.5 days/month. After a certain balance (90 days? 120 days?) it starts getting cut off at the end of the fiscal year (September) except for extremely unusual hardship cases. I mean harder than the usual hardship cases.

Most of the leave has to be taken rather than sold back. IIRC only 60 days total can be sold back during an entire 20-year career

When I was in, a maximum of only 60 days could be "banked" and I never met anyone who didn't lose a substantial number of days every year.

You're authorized 30 days a year (calendar days, not work days), but your boss has to approve your taking any. Since most outfits are usually somewhat shorthanded, I was generally lucky to be able to take 15 of my 30 days every year.

When I retired and sold my banked 60 days, it was a very good day.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks--I can't remember what DH had re leave way way back in the nonvolunteer days (and he was first on the list of people to never call for the kind of duty involved in this thread)--I do know a meningitis scare sent him to sick bay (is that what it was called?) for a few days.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks--I can't remember what DH had re leave way way back in the nonvolunteer days (and he was first on the list of people to never call for the kind of duty involved in this thread)--I do know a meningitis scare sent him to sick bay (is that what it was called?) for a few days.
Actually, sick time doesn't count against leave. If you're in the hospital, or even just confined to quarters by the doc, that time isn't counted against anything -- it's just sick time.

The military (at least in my experience) was quick to recognize that if you counted that sick time against leave, people would try to make it into work no matter how sick they were, and probably infect the rest of the shop with their nasty germs. So it was better to keep them at home until they were obviously well enough to return to work.

There were probably a few who took advantage of that loophole, but I didn't know any.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Imagine if every time you caught a cold, before you could stay home you had to have the doctor send a note to your workplace.

Of course your doctor probably isn't available every weekday morning at 7 AM without an appointment, first come first served. And if you happened to be overweight or have high blood pressure or a venereal disease, he probably wouldn't be obligated to report that to your boss either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #16

This is one of those things I admire. That sense of duty and loyalty.
I don´t think we have the same ritual.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Imagine if every time you caught a cold, before you could stay home you had to have the doctor send a note to your workplace.

Of course your doctor probably isn't available every weekday morning at 7 AM without an appointment, first come first served. And if you happened to be overweight or have high blood pressure or a venereal disease, he probably wouldn't be obligated to report that to your boss either...
I don't think he had venereal disease....
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think he had venereal disease....
If I had a nickel for every time I heard that after a liberty port then I'd be ER'd.

Waitaminnit...