Join Early Retirement Today

no-wifi smart electrical outlet switch
Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

no-wifi smart electrical outlet switch

I use a TP-link smartplug, but it requires a wifi connection.

I want to buy one where I can program it once like the old-fashion mechanical timer using my app.

Are there such a thing?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Wouldn’t the one you have work that way? You’d need WiFi to program it, but wouldn’t it store the information after that and work as programmed whether or not it was still connected to WiFi? No expert in this area, but that’s how my sprinkler timer works.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Wouldn’t the one you have work that way? You’d need WiFi to program it, but wouldn’t it store the information after that and work as programmed whether or not it was still connected to WiFi? No expert in this area, but that’s how my sprinkler timer works.
Mine doesn't work that way. If my WiFi is down the timer won't work until WiFi is restored; it gets the on/off signal from the modem/router...or maybe the modem just tells the timer what time it is.

I learned that when I wanted to program a weekly shut down of my modem for a few minutes (reboot) when I'm away for 3 months....but once the WiFi is off, the timer doesn't know what to do or when to do it.

OP, why not just use the old mechanical timers; they're easy to set up, no app required.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

How about a "programmable switch"? Home Depot has a 7 day one, and others will be findable on Amazon or via Google. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...00-U/206311889
These are programmable on the switch itself, not via an app.

<before morning coffee, anything I say may or may not be correct >
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
How about a "programmable switch"? Home Depot has a 7 day one, and others will be findable on Amazon or via Google. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...00-U/206311889
These are programmable on the switch itself, not via an app.

<before morning coffee, anything I say may or may not be correct >
Something that works like that except that plugs into an electrical outlet.

The modern version of the old-fashion mechanical timer that I have many of are so bulky.
I have seen wifi ones that take up one outlet and doesn't block the other.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Many will take up more than 1 plug, but this is an example of one that allows a daily on/off time and says other plug is still clear. Program the plug, no app or wifi.
Look at others before buying. I randomly picked this one out and can't tell you that its a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-50007WD...BYCHAF7A784JE9
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't use the wifi automation for the home. Not aware if any of the wifi plugs can be programmed internally to act as a timer. It is easy to set up wifi for the house if that is a solution for you.

We use stand alone timers to control the lights that want to automate.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Mine doesn't work that way. If my WiFi is down the timer won't work until WiFi is restored; it gets the on/off signal from the modem/router...or maybe the modem just tells the timer what time it is.
I don't have such a timer, but suspect the above (in bold). The router does not have the software to control the timer, but does have the time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use a Vera home automation system that relies on z wave. Theoretically you can run it without WiFi and just use z wave plugs.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
Many will take up more than 1 plug, but this is an example of one that allows a daily on/off time and says other plug is still clear. Program the plug, no app or wifi.
Look at others before buying. I randomly picked this one out and can't tell you that its a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-50007WD...BYCHAF7A784JE9
Thanks!
That's exactly what i need.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
It is easy to set up wifi for the house if that is a solution for you.
This timer will be somewhere other than my house.
They have wifi there but I don't have the password.