Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So naming a kid after a significant event is not permitted?

Such as Broken Rubber?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A significant event.....like Concepcion?

I'm a baby doctor. I see the results of parental folly on a daily basis. Like the identical twins, Rachell and Rachael; Mindy and Mandy, and Oranjelo and Lemonjelo. And Tra-C.

No, I am not making this up. I wish I were.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my FIL's neighborhood there was a Hawain family named (last name) Peter who named one of their daughters Likki. This caused my FIL endless mirth.

I have a 20 year old list I've been making of over 14,000 funny names. I got thousands of them from the Click and Clack web site. Another rich source was the Nation Lampoon Yearbook parody.

No, I will not release my list for fear it gets on the Inter-Webs.

Mike D. - with nice normal Irish names.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

snopes.com: Le-a

The possibly apocryphal story of a child named Le-a.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #25

My wife’s hometown Maracaibo is famous for strange names. Going to local employee and customer meetings was always an adventure – and a real challenge. After “Yedosca” and “Guaituque” - the spanish literal and phonetic translation of Y2K, president Chavez announced a law to limit newborn name to only 100.
Quote:
So long, Hengelberth, Maolenin, Kerbert Krishnamerk, Githanjaly, Yornaichel, Nixon and Yurbiladyberth. The prolifically inventive world of Venezuelan baby names may be coming to an end.
If electoral officials here get their way, a bill introduced last week would prohibit Venezuelan parents from bestowing those names — and many, many others — on their children.
The measure would not be retroactive. But it would limit parents of newborns to a list of 100 names established by the government, with exemptions for Indians and foreigners, and it is already facing skepticism in the halls of the National Assembly.
“I need to know how they would define those 100 names,” said Jhonny Owee Milano Rodríguez, a congressman representing Cojedes State. “For example, why not 120? This seems arbitrary to me.”
Read the article for more weird names. The law was not passed but Venezuelan authorities have stopped registering newborns with unusual names. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/wo...=2&oref=slogin
Old 07-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #26

A local family had the last name Wolf. Parents named two of their boys Timber and Grey. The boys grew up to be respected members of society and seem to like their names as far as I can tell.

For some reason, my ex and I ended up giving each of our kids two middle names, one from each side of the family, and their first names are all Biblical. So they have somewhat unusual names in those two regards. I have confirmed that they all really like their names, although their is some degree of inconvenience to the eldest because his first name is somewhat more obscure and apparently less well known today in America. Having two middle names isn't such a big deal in terms of computer systems and such -- if they ask for a middle initial we usually give both or just the first one as needed.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #27

No Texan could forget Ima Hogg, but unfortunately she never had a sister named Ura.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have a grandnephew named Harvest Moon, by his mother Autumn. Attempts by the family to call him Harv have been rebuffed with no his name is Harvest. It doesn't help that this 9 year old has a a thick mass of blonde curls that extend down to the middle of his back.

Despite this I am really not in favor of giving the government bureacrats veto power over names.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't have an oddball name, but most people can not pronounce or spell my name correctly.
I've assumed that bbbami stands for:

Big Busty Beauty Am I

Right?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Big Busty Beauty Am I

Right?
Hold the presses...this is the first time I've blushed in years!

You dah MAN Al!

(as to not burst a bubble on this forum, my lips are sealed)

Geeez...I'm blushing...

...bewitched...bothered...bewildered...

am I....
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Big Busty Beauty Am I

Right?
Yes Al, that is correct.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
A significant event.....like Concepcion?

I'm a baby doctor. I see the results of parental folly on a daily basis. Like the identical twins, Rachell and Rachael; Mindy and Mandy, and Oranjelo and Lemonjelo. And Tra-C.

No, I am not making this up. I wish I were.

Trust me..I believe you. I had a gal call me to be a client once whose first name was...get this...Vaseline. True story.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
In my FIL's neighborhood there was a Hawain family named (last name) Peter who named one of their daughters Likki. This caused my FIL endless mirth.

I have a 20 year old list I've been making of over 14,000 funny names. I got thousands of them from the Click and Clack web site. Another rich source was the Nation Lampoon Yearbook parody.

No, I will not release my list for fear it gets on the Inter-Webs.

Mike D. - with nice normal Irish names.

Good grief...poor girl...I only hope you are kidding, but have a feeling you aren't. How sad for her. I'd change my name if I were her. Your FIL and probably all the other males that know her get a good chuckle out of that one, too. What were her parents thinking?
That's like the Texas family with the German name Greisedeick (or something like that) that everyone jokingly pronounces "Greasy-d*ck" as you can well imagine.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Good grief...poor girl...I only hope you are kidding, but have a feeling you aren't. How sad for her. I'd change my name if I were her. Your FIL and probably all the other males that know her get a good chuckle out of that one, too. What were her parents thinking?
That's like the Texas family with the German name Greisedeick (or something like that) that everyone jokingly pronounces "Greasy-d*ck" as you can well imagine.
I don't know about Texas (although the Griesenbeck's just left my house a few minutes ago), but my dad always used to tell stories about his best childhood bud in St. Louis whose name was Griesedieck. Not sure about the spelling, but it was pronounced the same way.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
It's become popular to give your Hawaii-born kids a long Hawaiian middle name with significant meaning. We never did that for ours, so for a number of years she was considering giving herself a new Hawaiian middle name like her friends.

Then, during those vulnerable teen-grrrl years, she became enamored of the Haupialani brand of ice cream. I suggested that'd make a wonderful Hawaiian middle name, and at first she enthusiastically agreed.

I was smirking about it for almost a week before she figured out that one translation could be "heavenly coconuts". My longevity has been deemed contingent upon never telling this story to potential boyfriends.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't have an oddball name, but most people can not pronounce or spell my name correctly.

My grandfathers even called me by different names. One called me Toni and the other called me Connie.

I wish I knew the first names of the members of this forum.
Your wishes are orders: my first name is Vicente, actually! And my last name is Solano. Can you believe it!!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

In America you can't tell gender by a first name, but you have a pretty good shot at approximate IQ.

Ha
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In America you can't tell gender by a first name, but you have a pretty good shot at approximate IQ.
IQ of that person or of their parents?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Your wishes are orders: my first name is Vicente, actually! And my last name is Solano. Can you believe it!!
......ahhhhh yes and what a romantic name my dear Vicente!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Well, that says a mouthful about bbb....
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
IQ of that person or of their parents?
In my world they appear to be correlated.