Nominate the book cover for "The Military Guide"

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
As an engineer (and as my spouse will tell anyone) décor is usually the last thing on my mind. However every book has a cover and we have a certain amount of input to the publisher's selection.

So what should be on the cover? And should there be another B&W image on the inside title page?

My first impression is that the images should be non-denominational-- not specific to any one military service. No periscopes or gun barrels or aircraft. None of those horrible joint-purple agglomerations showing one of everything/everybody.

Maybe it shouldn't be occupational at all, unless it's part of a retirement ceremony. Maybe the cover should show the ER life that a veteran is about to start, not the career that they're finishing. As one major contributor has suggested, maybe it should be a Corona-style beach scene. Another contributor suggested "A group of military types cowering before the door of retirement fearing the goblins on the other side. Or, a gruff 4 star warning a group in uniforms against reading this book. Or hey, just bold print, 'What your CO does not want you to know!'" Maybe it should be a bunch of Jeff Bacon's "Broadside" military characters peering through a doorway to see what's on the other side. (Yes, Jeff may remember my spouse and I well enough to be interested.) Maybe instead of Uncle Sam saying "I want YOU!", he should be working a longboard.

Maybe it shouldn't be a photo or a cartoon but rather just a graphic-- a pile of coins & bills or a silhouette of a hammock lounger in front of an American flag.

EDIT: If you're thinking of a beach scene then it'll have to be extraordinarily creative to stand out from a couple of earlier nominations.

We'll gather up the top 5-10 images and poll the votes. If your contribution ends up in the book then you get to choose your favorite military charity for a royalty donation.

Pretend that you're back on active duty, walking past your local military exchange bookstore on your lunch hour. You're tired & sweaty (or cold), you're grumpy at the way the morning went, you're scrambling to run an errand before you grab some food, and you have another eight working hours ahead of you before you can go home tonight to see your family and relax a little before starting it all over again tomorrow morning. OBTW, you have the weekend duty and you're getting underway on Monday morning. Make sure the repairs & preps are done by Sunday night.

In the midst of this grim-faced chronically-fatigued squinty-eyed unhappiness, a book cover catches your eye and makes you stop to read the title. What does that cover image look like?

You have some great ideas for the book cover Nords.

Since the title has the word 'guide' in it, you might want to consider a compass....or some type of map.

...The CO actually backfisted one of my chief petty officers (although he pulled it short before impact) and it was common for him to front-kick officers of the deck (although he did give them a kicking shield to hold up before he started)...The engineer used to wake up 3-4x/week with nightmares that would literally have him jumping around the stateroom punching at imaginary people.

you didn't happen to get an action shot of any of these did you?

i like the uncle same on a long board idea...

I'm seeing a typical EXIT door (with the push bar at waist level). Hanging next to the door is a clipboard with a checklist. A walking foot is just entering the scene.

Picture of a short timer's chain.

Maybe a camo version of a cheesy retirement t-shirt (this one is from Cafepress):

125427695v5_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

I'm sure you'll chose a great one! I am glad to think that it will make a difference in hopefully a lot of people's lives.

Who is your intended audience? Is it people in the military now? interested in joining? Or something else?

In my experience in selling books through Amazon, people buying nonfiction books like books where the title (and picture on the cover) are really specific and help them solve some sort of problem or information need.

Like if someone wants to learn to clog dance, if I has a site on clog dancing and had a great book called Dancing the Night Away that was actually about clog dancing and had some kind of artsy cover with just text, it probably wouldn't sell that great. But if the book had clog dancing in the title and a picture of people clog dancing on the cover, it would sell much better.

Lighthouse - suggests starting or ending a journey, safety, illumination.

Maze - suggests finding your way out of a trap.

Attachments

• Lighthouse.jpg
    Lighthouse.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dole plantation.jpg
    dole plantation.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 277
Image of someone wearing dog tags followed by same person wearing a Hawaiian lei.

Attachments

• dog tags.jpg
    dog tags.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
  • lei.jpg
    lei.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 268
Show footsteps in the sand.

Edit add: Footprints in the sand.

For the front cover, I really like your Jeff Bacon idea. Mutual promotion! I'm not suggesting this cartoon, but giving people an idea of what his work looks like:

10053122admiralinshortscolor500.jpg

On the back cover I think you should have two pictures of yourself, one in uniform accepting an award. One after retirement, with the surfboard. People like seeing the author.

How about an opening door showing the back side of a figure holding a briefcase with pieces of paper sticking out? One would be $, the others represent the major issues in the book.

Meet with an art/advertising teacher at a local school to hold a contest to draw up the cover. The prize is one you submit to the publisher. You can't guarantee that the winner is chosen but if it is the student has something for their CV.

You have some great ideas for the book cover Nords.

Since the title has the word 'guide' in it, you might want to consider a compass....or some type of map.

I agree with the compass theme. Even veterans could use a little 'direction' in retirement planning. Nords- you're a good man to put this together for such a great cause.

Picture of a short timer's chain.

My first post was flip; sorry about that. I have been giving this some thought, and I believe that you should be looking for military related images that signify completion. I'm thinking pictures of piping someone over the side, casing the colors, something like that.

just another thought.....

Attachments

• beach chair.jpg
    beach chair.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 178
And of course, the two part title is key: one short (like three or four word sentence) and then the second line (smaller text) with more detail on what the book is about.
I do like the idea of a compass and some fairly generic military themes.
Statistically, are you expecting more men or women to purchase? That might have some bearing on it. As a non-military person, I was thinking that I'd respond to a beach scene or cartoon best.

These are all great ideas! I have to admit that I'm a sucker for a good beach theme too.

I'm going to post these images to the blog as well.

Statistically, are you expecting more men or women to purchase? That might have some bearing on it. As a non-military person, I was thinking that I'd respond to a beach scene or cartoon best.
The military still has more men than women on active duty, but of course the Reserves* and the families tend to even out those numbers. I don't know that I can predict sales by gender... whether the women will buy it to confirm what they've already figured out, or whether the men will buy it to figure out what they should already know.

We're more than ready to have a cover-design discussion with the publisher. (Just as soon as I hear back from that editor. No news is good news, right?) I'll have to sort out formats, photo/image rights, and graphics design issues with them. I think the back cover will be all descriptions & endorsements with a background that won't get in the way of the print.

[A few years ago spouse came home from her first drill weekend to proclaim "Mother#$%^er, now I know where all the Navy's women went to!"]

I think women buy more books than men but I don't know if that holds true for financial topics. Might have some bearing on the cover design. I like the concept of Transition for the cover, however that might translate graphically.

Nords, I just got Jacob's new book in the mail, BTW, and it is very textbook thus far. A bit tougher read than ESR Bob's if you aren't already a devotee of the FIRE concept. Nice, though.

Just curious Nords, have you picked a book cover yet?

Just curious Nords, have you picked a book cover yet?
Thanks for asking, but this is moving a lot slower than I'm used to.

I sent the manuscript in nearly three months ago for editing, and I've had the draft of the pocket guide sitting in the hopper for over a month waiting for the editor's attention. These days I'm sitting on my hands trying not to jostle the editor's elbows with pesky questions, but I'm about out of patience.

I'm hoping that the manuscript structure & content doesn't see much change. I'm hoping that the title doesn't change either. Once I've been reassured on those two questions then I'll send in the pocket guide, and then I'll be able to start nudging along the process of choosing the cover.

I think I have the blogging part figured out. Facebook & Twitter need minor tweaks that I have yet to resolve. I'll keep building on all of that, but it's probably too early to start chasing media interviews and the rest of my marketing plan until the publisher has a set of galleys and a release date.

Back
Top Bottom