Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Non-conventional treatment for hypertension,
Old 04-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think one of the best books I ever read was called "The K Factor" by Richard Moore and George Webb. I got it about 20 years ago in paperback.

You can still get it new or used at Amazon.

Basically what it says is hypertension is unknown in primitive societies.

By studying their diets the "K" or potassium ratio to sodium in their food is about 4:1.

In modern societies that ratio has reversed to 1:4!

Salt is added to almost all prepared foods and most people add even more.

In order to get the ratio back in line throw out the salt shaker and avoid really high doses of sodium. Check the labels. You will never be able to eliminate it but you can cut down.

Load up on high potassium stuff to get your "K" ratio higher. Eat lots of bananas, fresh fruit and vegetables. I prefer Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice not from concentrate every day but orange or other juices would do. Don't get added sugar ones.

I eat lots of natural no salt added chunky peanut butter. Almonds would work but don't get the salted flavoured kind.

Prunes are excellent!

Enjoy a few chunks of high cocoa dark chocolate frequently. Not milk chocolate!

Alcohol can be good but don't drink every day. It can and will raise blood pressure. Probably no more than 8 a week and never more than 2 at a time.

Get a Blood Pressure Monitor and check yourself periodically. I'm consistantly ~ or below 120/70. I've kept a good weight all my life. Extra pounds could be a BP problem. Do some kind of strenuous exercise every day. Walk/run or weights.

And finally ER can work wonders.

I was a teacher and remember what it was like trying to contain a room of 35 hormonally charged Grade 8's. You could have stress but the key was to never show it!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Zipper - Thanks for the valuable ideas.

I will look for the K Factor book.

My bp medicine is Zestril which actually adds potassium and when I asked my doc if I could use salt substitutes he said no because they contain potassium and I could potentially reach dangerously high potassium levels if I took in too much K. I do eat at least 1 banana every day, grapes, strawberries, orange and an apple. Broccolli or spinach almost every day and other vegetables as well.

I also eat 6-8 unsalted almonds daily but now will try the peanut butter you mentioned.

I have a bp monitor I got from Target many years ago but for the last few weeks I stopped using it because I had become too anxious about the readings and was taking them all the time.

What do you have for late night snacks?

- Dante
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote