Join Early Retirement Today

Non-Jiggle-Transfer Mattress
Old 12-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Non-Jiggle-Transfer Mattress

I'm considering getting a mattress which, when one person turns over or gets out of bed, isolates the jiggling such that the other person doesn't feel it.

This is the commercial that comes to mind:

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Now if someone would just invent a mattress that absorbs the sound of snoring.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We have matching Costco mattresses north and south. Think they are 10" high density foam topped with 3" memory foam. No eggcrate foam nor nuttin' else. Works really well - I bring a cup of coffee and fruit smoothy to the gal each morning and put them on a plate on the corner of the bed. no spills to date.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just sleep on the floor, it's cheaper.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Frank and I never have problems with jiggling mattresses, snoring, flopping around, pushing one another off the edge of the bed, temperature too warm/cold to sleep, mattress too hard/soft to sleep, or stolen covers.

Um, errr, uh - - - well, uh, that's because we choose to live and sleep in separate homes. Works for us! We are both well rested, "bright eyed and bushy tailed", and so happy to see one another every day when we spend time together. We have both been married before and feel we have BTDT, and right now our arrangement is great for us.

P.S. - - never get a cheap waterbed without baffles! BTDT too, back in the day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm considering getting a mattress which, when one person turns over or gets out of bed, isolates the jiggling such that the other person doesn't feel it.

Any thoughts?
Cast your frugal inclination to the wind and get a natural latex mattress. All latex, not just the topper and not a memory foam mattress which will compress with time. Best thing ever and it will be the last mattress you ever buy. There are no springs and heavy slab of latex absorbs motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Now if someone would just invent a mattress that absorbs the sound of snoring.

Umm... that's what pillows are for.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't comment on the particular mattress you've referred to but we have a Sleep Number. Its actually two separate air beds side by side. One person's movements do not disturb the other. We love our Sleep Number bed.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Foam mattresses seem like the standard answer to isolating the two sides. We got a custom latex mattress locally for a very reasonable price. You don't need to buy the pricey name brands. Separate twin beds made into a king would certainly help. Our foam is two twins for the base layer, but the two top layers are single king pieces. They are set on a solid platform. No jiggle, and very soft.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When my replacement waterbed bladder gave out, I decided to get a Sealy Euro 3 inch pillowtop mattress that fits very snugly into the wood waterbed frame. There is just enough room to tuck the sheets down in the sides. Size is California King.

I think the difference is that there are no legs on the waterbed frame and it is a very snug fit, i.e. prevents any motion of the mattress.

When either of us leaves the bed, there is very little transfer of motion to the other sleeper.
I have developed a very smooth "slither out slowly" motion since Mr B is a light sleeper.
I sleep soundly so I never stir when he exits.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, there's no noticeable movement transfer on our Tempurpedic mattress. We bought a cheaper Sam's club version for our Florida house, and there's a tiny bit more, but still not really noticeable. Expensive, but worth it from a comfort POV in our opinion.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We paid $666 on 5/29/2007 for the Costco Novaform king mattress up north and $739 on 5/11/2011 for the same size and style down south. Still working well for us, though since late 2010 it has only been 1/2 year use on each mattress/year. I figured if they cost $100/year before being tossed I was good with that - we don't vacuum or launder our mattresses. Looking like they will easily do better than 6-7 year life span in our use.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #12

Al,

We bought a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge model about a year ago. The size is a "full" (ie between a twin and a queen) so we are positioned fairly close to each other when in bed.

The anti-jiggle effect is definitely noticeable in this mattress. DW and/or I can come and go during the night and the morning and the other occupant never knows the difference.

We saw this mattress on display at one of the chain mattress shops and were able to sit and lay on it together. It was quickly obvious the degree of isolation between the two sides.

I would recommend it.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Umm... that's what pillows are for.
I believe the medical term for that is "smother" and I am sure the thought occurs quite often.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

We have the temper pedic, years later wife still tells me at night she cant notice me getting in/out if bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our problem is that cat that likes to sleep on our pillows so we wake up to a purring rug near the top of our heads.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

just a thought on those temperpedic or foam topped mattresses.... I had one for about a year.... I tend to run hot and like to sleep in cool rooms. I would wake up in the morning with soaked sheets and always seemed to wake up in the middle of the night uncomfortable warm. Ended up shifting it to the guest room and getting a new mattress.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Foam mattresses seem like the standard answer to isolating the two sides.
Thanks. That made me realize that the mattress in our guest bedroom was foam, so I swapped our mattress with that one, and it's an improvement.

I swapped them in secret. I was pretty sure that if I swapped them openly, Lena would say that the old mattress was better. That's what wives do. We've slept on it two nights so far, and she hasn't noticed.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, after shopping in retail mattress stores for a while, we ended up buying one online. This one: Night Therapy 13" Deluxe Euro Box Top Spring Mattress Only $367, free shipping and no tax for me (but maybe tax in CA since I think they are based there). They sell this brand at Sam's and Walmart I think.

From researching these things, apparently the independently wrapped coils helps isolate motion from different parts of the bed. It seems to work in our king size bed. When I would roll over it would bother DW and wake her up. Problem solved now.

I found the mattress to be too soft when on box springs, so we took those out and put it straight on the floor (skipping a platform bed that might introduce the chance of motion). Perfect. About 90% as good as the $2000 mattress DW loved at the Sheraton hotels.

I tend to sleep hot, so can't deal with a regular foam tempurpedic type mattress. The one we have has a thin layer of memory foam (maybe 1") and I haven't had any problems so far.

I slept fine on our old mattress, but DW seems to think this new one is way better. Which is okay with me.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Thanks. That made me realize that the mattress in our guest bedroom was foam, so I swapped our mattress with that one, and it's an improvement.

I swapped them in secret. I was pretty sure that if I swapped them openly, Lena would say that the old mattress was better. That's what wives do. We've slept on it two nights so far, and she hasn't noticed.
......ah, the plasleepo test.

Sleeping separately is one way to solve the bounce problem. This study found couples get better sleep when doing just that.

Quote:
Meadows studied 40 couples and found that when they shared a bed, there is a 50 percent chance that one partner will wake the other when shifting around in bed during the night.

Separate Beds: Couples Sleeping Apart Get Better Sleep [STUDY] - International Science Times
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
......ah, the plasleepo test.

Sleeping separately is one way to solve the bounce problem. This study found couples get better sleep when doing just that.

Separate Beds: Couples Sleeping Apart Get Better Sleep [STUDY] - International Science Times
If she doesn't wake up I'm doing something wrong....?