Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Guilty as charged. That's why I'm asking the experts - right here!
Um...I put chicken on pizza.

Step away from the chicken and add sundried tomatoes,pastrami or anchovies on your pizza .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Step away from the chicken and add sundried tomatoes,pastrami or anchovies on your pizza .
I must not put chicken on pizza.

I love anchovies.
I love anchovies.
I love anchovies.
I love anchovies.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Long ago, and far away, I worked at a pizza place with anchovies and shrimp on the list of toppings. I can only say that the "aroma" that blasted you in the face when you opened the oven door was unmatched...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guilty as charged. That's why I'm asking the experts - right here!
Um...I put chicken on pizza.

I have a great & easy pulled pork recipe which I learned from my SO ( a Florida native )
Buy a boston butt ( pork ) brown in a little oil after you season it (I usually use a garlic rub )in a heavy dutch oven then place the dutch oven with a lid on in it in a 250 oven for a few hours until the pork falls apart when you test it with a fork . Pull the pork apart using two forks place in crock pot and add 1 1/2 bottles of barbeque sauce and cook on low for several hours .Great for a summer party .
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Dry rub... google Memphis style.

Even if you want to go sauce afterwards, dry rub first.
I highly agree, first marinate in an acidic vinegar to break the meat down, then dry rub while cooking till nearly done, spritzing to keep moist, then add the BBQ sauce. Works. Layers of flavor too.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Long ago, and far away, I worked at a pizza place with anchovies and shrimp on the list of toppings. I can only say that the "aroma" that blasted you in the face when you opened the oven door was unmatched...
Was it like the smell of gym socks that you wore the whole semester without washing?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I usually make my own, using a variety of stuff and it is never the same twice, but includes ketchup/catsup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, dried garlic and onions, Worcestershire sauce, some Stubbs hickory smoke flavoring, sometimes a bit of cumin, and as much tabasco as I think DW can take (I like it spicier).

Usually when I do baby back ribs I boil them for about a half hour first, then let them sit in the boiling pot in the hot water for several hours. Cut to serving size, then grill both sides lightly without the sauce, then grill with the sauce over very very low heat turning and basting as long a the sauce lasts. Turn often enough that you don't burn the sauce.

When I have the time, I rub them down with a mixture of seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, fire up the smoker around 10am and at the same time soak some hickory chunks, throw the ribs in the smoker, toss on a few chunks of hickory, and slow the fire way down (keep it to about 225-250F). Then sit outside watching the day go by, out by the pool or on the patio. In the meantime, cook up a pot of beans and add some of that sauce, along with a few bell peppers and some pineapple, make a nice coleslaw, and then go have another cool one. Keep your fire going around 225F. Add a few pre-started pieces of charcoal a couple times thru the day. Check for tenderness around 3 or 4pm. If they are close, then baste with the sauce, both sides, and let'um cook low and slow for another hour, basting a few more times. Dinner can be served between 4pm and 5pm.

Key words: LOW and SLOW = very tender, fall off the bone meat. HOT and FAST = tougher harder to chew off the bone, or burnt meat.

With a brisket, I don't even use the sauce. Just a rub, never the same twice, but always has seasoned salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Enjoy!

R

PS: don't oversmoke with hickory or you will end up with a bitter flavor.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Putting on my evil hat - even though I picked up 25lbs - since coming north - my all time favorite is still:

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp.

Which to those who know the recipe - usually sets meat BBQ types on the warpath screaming 'that's not BBQ'!

heh heh heh - I have one of those barrel type Cajun Cooker II grill/smokers and am still experimenting. I put apple juice in the water pan and spritz also. Apple, cherry, mesquite, hickory chips and which rub/sauce - still experimenting. My briskets are still tougher than I'd like. Turkey was okay. Ribs were fair.

At times to keep her happy - I have to use Dale's made in Birmingham, Alabama.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The secret to tenderizing brisket is chert rock. My BIL, when he lived in El Paso, claimed that he put his brisket (rubbed with olive oil) into an old front load clothes dryer with 8-10 large chert rocks and spun it for 10-15 minutes.

Swears by that method.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I had moved to the West Coast before I even knew that somebody might eat pizza without anchovies.

Ha
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Several years ago I worked a second job as waitress in a pizza restaurant.

Jalapeno and pineapple, ham and pineapple, extra anchovies...; I get paid the same whatever the combo.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....And I promise not to say BBQ and crockpot in the same sentence, ever again.
I must not say BBQ and crockpot in the same sentence.
Ok, folks. Hang onto yer hats....I'm ready to try a beef brisket.

I don't own a slow cooker except my tried and true cr**kpot.
There are numerous garage sales going on this weekend, so I will go hunting for a small size outdoor smoker.
Too cheap to buy a new one.
I found this recipe online.
Slow-Cooked, Texas-Style Beef Brisket - All Recipes
I just slathered the beef with a little oil and a dry rub consisting of cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and a few other things gleaned from your collective advice.
The beef is boneless sirloin, about 3" thick and cut into a flat slab about 10" long by 6" wide. I can't get real brisket here.
Beef is frozen right now, but I have all day to cook it. It will be defrosted within an hour on the HI setting.
I do have an injector thingie, so I figured I would start that process up once it defrosts. My plan is to make up some of the sauce at the above link and inject it into the meat.
Any last minutes hints or tips?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'd highly recommend you thaw and season it, wrap it in aluminum foil, and place it in your oven for 2.5 - 3 hours (fat side up if it was real brisket) at 300 degrees. Then remove the foil and place it in your smoker (low, low heat!) for another 1.5-2 hours, or until you think it's "right".

This keeps it moist and tender, and allows you to have a nice exterior texture and flavoring.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd highly recommend you thaw and season it, wrap it in aluminum foil, and place it in your oven for 2.5 - 3 hours (fat side up if it was real brisket) at 300 degrees. Then remove the foil and place it in your smoker (low, low heat!) for another 1.5-2 hours, or until you think it's "right".

This keeps it moist and tender, and allows you to have a nice exterior texture and flavoring.
It will be duly wrapped in foil as soon as it thaws. TY
I can use my grill maybe (?) until I get a proper smoker on hand.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #35

Quote:
I can use my grill maybe (?) until I get a proper smoker on hand.
Yes, that should work fine - as long as you can grill it over low heat. Many grills have only "high" and "burn" settings. And you may not need to grill it for more than an hour or so.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that should work fine - as long as you can grill it over low heat. Many grills have only "high" and "burn" settings. And you may not need to grill it for more than an hour or so.
Ah, I just had a Eureka.
I can build a nice wood fire in my outdoor fireplace to finish it up. Good wood coals in the metal grate right underneath it will add just the right flavor. I have a lot of seasoned maple on hand from the winter.
Oh this is gonna be good!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #37

That might just do the trick - although the terms "seasoned maple" and "brisket" don't sound exactly right used in the same sentence.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #38

Quote:
That might just do the trick - although the terms "seasoned maple" and "brisket" don't sound exactly right used in the same sentence.
You're not seeing the "seasoned maple" BBQ joints 'round these parts? Maybe you could put the finished product on top of pancakes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's an improvement over cr*ckpot and BBQ, eh?

Gotta go mow the lawn before it gets too hot (love saying that)...I'll check back later.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We've been to three great BBQ's here in and near Kansas City:

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/

http://www.jjsbarbecue.com/

and

Jack Stack Barbecue :: First Taste of Kansas City...

--------------

So here are my two questions:

1. Is BBQ sauce that you buy in the grocery store (e.g. masterpiece, bullseye), really less good that what you get at these restaurants?

2. If so, why? Is it because they must pasteurize it or add preservatives?