Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Generally, low and slow works better for the tougher, fatty cuts, like brisket. I'd worry that low and slow for a sirloin would turn it to leather. Good idea to add moisture.
The injector was the secret for tenderness for the sirloin cut. I did that every hour, injecting just enough until it just barely came oozing out the pores.
I cooked that baby until it was fork tender. Sliced it up nice and thin and added a little water to the concentrated juices to make a nice au jus.
dh2b said I could make this anytime.
I need to check with my mom and pop store for real brisket. The grocery stores simply don't carry it here. Remember I'm in the middle of East Nowhere, NY. You get what you get.
Next project - find a smoker and get real.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
I'm cooking wibs. About 1/3 of the way thru.
Picture one is the membrane removal procedure.
Picture two is the rub on said wibs.
Picture three is after 2 hours at 250F, bare minimum time.
Oooooooo, I wuuuuu-uuuuuv wibs.

I can get wibs easily, in any store.
Pork - regular, baby back, and thicker country style cut.
I marinate them in a sweet Chinese style marinade and do them up on the grill.
Beef - only the Fred Frinstone ones and not so often. I cook these really slow in the oven with BBQ sauce.

Here's a simple recipe you can try at home. Buy a boneless beef roast and slice it as thin as you can,
keeping slices as wide (size of your hand) as possible. Partially freezing the beef will make slicing it easier.
Soak the beef in Chinese marinade (blend of soy sauce, ginger, honey, sesame or peanut oil, garlic, etc) overnight.
Take long pieces of fresh green scallions and wrap the beef around the onions, using a rolling technique.
Fasten with toothpicks. Grill over medium heat with constant basting. Cook until just done.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Next project - find a smoker and get real.
Come to Texas, we'll fix you up with some lessons.

Re: Barbecue sauce - I've come to view it as sacrilege. Something like putting ketchup on steak.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Re: Barbecue sauce - I've come to view it as sacrilege. Something like putting ketchup on steak.
Yep. If the meat is so bad you have to cover it with sauce, you don't want to eat it...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Come to Texas, we'll fix you up with some lessons.

Well, that's the 2nd invitation I've gotten to come to TX for real BBQ. Thank you kindly!
One of these days I just may come visit your beautiful state again. I've been to San Antonio before and drove to somewhere where an agricultural school is located, on the way to Austin. I remember seeing a sizable emu (or was it ostrich?) farm on the way. LH and I were visited a HS friend of his, doing his PhD in biology. I remember the bluebonnets (wild lupines? tall flower spikes with lots of almond sized blue flowers) were in full bloom and were just breathtaking.
I'm looking at doing some travel next year after paying for our big cruise this summer. I am FIREd after all.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #66

Quote:
I've been to San Antonio before and drove to somewhere where an agricultural school is located, on the way to Austin
You passed some excellent bbq, just a short jog off the freeway (short by Texas standards) down in Lockhart. Either Smitty's or Kreuz's are well worth the detour.

Note the rules at Kreuz's:

Quote:
I remember the bluebonnets (wild lupines? tall flower spikes with lots of almond sized blue flowers) were in full bloom and were just breathtaking.
They are lupines, several different species grow wild, including one that grows naturally only in Texas - all together they are the official state flower. Depending on what part of the state you are traveling through, you can see any combination of about two or three dozen different flowers. The ones I see most commonly are Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush and some yellow ones (either Sunflowers or Black-Eyed Susans).
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I've been to San Antonio before and drove to somewhere where an agricultural school is located, on the way to Austin. I remember seeing a sizable emu (or was it ostrich?) farm on the way. LH and I were visited a HS friend of his, doing his PhD in biology.

I just did a Google maps search to see if the town names would jog my memory. I distinctly remember News Braufels because a big German food festival was being advertised on billboards along the highway.
I believe we were headed for either College Station or Bryan TX. I know we did not drive into Austin proper. So the HS friend may have been attending Texas A&M unless there another school nearby. I remember the HS friend talking about Aggies.
I do remember the emu (ostrich?) farm because we pulled over and I checked them out, right up close and personal but keeping my hands on the right side of the tall wire fence. They were some very serious size birds.
This trip was a long time ago, and if nothing else was a good memory test for me. The ol' noggin is still w*rking...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #68

Freebird, in the event you do make it down this way again for a visit, and I sincerely hope you do, I'd be careful in implying Bryan/College Station (Texas A&M) is located "between San Antonio and Austin" (University of Texas) - check the map. The only folks around around here who would appreciate your geographical viewpoint would likely be the folks up in Lubbock (Texas Tech).

Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #69

If you saw military cadets and maroon everywhere, it was A&M. They produce more commissioned officers for the military than any institution other than the military academies. And as for maroon, they love that color, and they go to extremes to make things maroon - including agricultural products like carrots. There is even a maroon "bluebonnet" out there somewhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Freebird, in the event you do make it down this way again for a visit, and I sincerely hope you do, I'd be careful in implying Bryan/College Station (Texas A&M) is located "between San Antonio and Austin" (University of Texas) - check the map. The only folks around around here who would appreciate your geographical viewpoint would likely be the folks up in Lubbock (Texas Tech).
There is no hope for the directionally challenged.

My recollections are based on road signs, since I was the passenger and map reader. I do remember getting off the main highway and driving for quite a while down a secondary road. That's where the emu farm was.

Is there a major TX school rivalry I'm detecting in your cautions?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you saw military cadets and maroon everywhere, it was A&M. They produce more commissioned officers for the military than any institution other than the military academies. And as for maroon, they love that color, and they go to extremes to make things maroon - including agricultural products like carrots. There is even a maroon "bluebonnet" out there somewhere.
We never went on campus, just to the guy's house, so the maroon color memory trigger didn't help.
This is kinda like playing 20 Questions. Good for the brain.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Rustic23 gave me a recommendation on a good smoker to use.
Is this the right one?
Amazon.com: SMOKER SMOKE N GRILL: Electronics

PS - logging off to go do lunch. will check back later.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #73

If it is the electric model, I would not use it. (OK, a little purest coming out) My son uses one and does a good brisket.

Rivalry? Well yes. there is Texas vs Texas A&M, TCU vs vs Texas A&M, Baylor vs Texas A&M, Texas Tech vs vs Texas A&M, Rice vs vs Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs vs Texas A&M, SMU vs Texas A&M, Lamar High School vs Texas A&M.

There are most likely a few more.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #74

Quote:
Is there a major TX school rivalry I'm detecting in your cautions?
Your rivalry detector is working much better than your compass!

To give you a hint of how strong the rivalry is between the Aggies of Texas A&M and the Longhorns of The University of Texas, here are the lyrics to the A&M school song. How many Universities have beating their rival (UT Longhorns = Varsity) as the central theme of their school song?

Quote:
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck
All hail to dear old Texas A&M
Rally around Maroon and White
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
That good old Aggie Spirit thrills us
And makes us yell and yell and yell
So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M
We're gonna beat you all to Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, real stuff Texas A&M
Good bye to texas university
So long to the orange and the white
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
'the eyes of Texas are upon you'
That is the song they sing so well
Sounds Like Hell
So good bye to texas university
We're gonna beat you all to Chigaroogarem
Chigaroogarem
Rough, Tough, Real stuff, Texas A&M

Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Saw varsity's horns off
Short! A!
Varsity's horns are sawed off
Short! A!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #75

Quote:
Rustic23 gave me a recommendation on a good smoker to use.
Is this the right one?
Amazon.com: SMOKER SMOKE N GRILL: Electronics
I had one of those, charcoal version, and I trashed it. It wasn't very good as a grill and totally stank as a smoker. The major problem was regulating the air flow through it.

I bought this on sale at Bass Pro Shop:

Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse Smoker

My price was a little better (end of season sale), but $199 is the best I have seen them anywhere recently and much better price than you'll get on Amazon. You can also buy them at Lowe's and Home Depot.

What do you get (that you really want) for the extra money?

Much better ventilation control for starters. It seals up on the side with a latch and then you use the vent on the top to control the ventilation.

Size: It's not that much bigger than that Brinkman, but it has multiple racks so you get much more surface to work with. Each of those racks is actually a littler bigger than the single one on the Brinkman. I smoked a huge brisket for Memorial day and it fit on one rack - it was a tight fit but I don't think you could close the lid on the Brinkman with a piece of meat that big.

It has a "loading device" on the side that allows you to add wood easily and without opening the door.

Temperature control and timer - The timer is not that important, but I really liked the temperature control feature.

Grease drip pan in the back that catches the runoff. Keeps your patio or deck clean and makes the interior of the smoker easier to clean.

You can try the Brinkman for the price, and the electric one may work better than that piece of junk charcoal version I had, but the lack of ventilation control and temperature control are going to mean a lot of trial and error while you figure out what works best.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #76

Cookin BBQ in Texas is almost like Politics. I have use the Brinkman charcoal for 20 years. My brisket wins contest, well not all the time, but enough to keep me cookin! I have seen folks with $1,000 cookers loose, and I have seen guys with homade cookers win. It is all is what you get use to, and know how to work.

And, if you really want to start a fight, just try and tell someone down here how to cook Chili!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I have use the Brinkman charcoal for 20 years.
You are definitely the man on the Brinkman then.

I've been on several wild game cooking teams and we always smoked a herd of brisket for the public, usually on one of those huge pits that fit a full sized trailer, and I enjoyed that. The charcoal Brinkman was my first attempt at home smoking and it was a total disaster. I took it to the hunting lease to provide some extra grill space, but nobody could get it to work right even as a grill. One afternoon during bird season we sat around drinking beer and shot the hell out of it before hauling it down to the dump pit.

I know the electric is not in sync with dogma, but it works well and it is easy as can be. I gave some of my first brisket to a neighbor who used to have a bbq restaurant in S.A. and he gave it high marks.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Cookin BBQ in Texas is almost like Politics.
I'd say it's more like religion!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #79

Quote:
I've been on several wild game cooking teams and we always smoked a herd of brisket for the public, usually on one of those huge pits that fit a full sized trailer, and I enjoyed that.
Yep. My SIL had this one custom made a couple of years ago.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I did see an electric one at Amazon. I'm not buying yet...need to do some more looking about. Keep those suggestions coming.
I'm willing to go up to $100, maybe a tad more if it's worth it.
It turns out that some NYANG friends have a larger metal box style smoker. They suggested the Brinkman also, but did mention the ventilation features were better on their box style. Similar to this one
Amazon.com: Brinkmann Vertical Meat Smoker: Electronics

I FOUND BRISKET!!!!!!

I stopped at my local grocery store today. They have brisket for $3.99 a lb, and they will cut it to order for me, any size. It was vacuum packed and looked really good. The meat counter guy said he has it every day during summer months, but will order some any time of year.
Right next to it was flank steak, and to my eye, they looked identical in grain. But I will get the real stuff.