Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have considered looking at garage sales. We are just entering summer here.
A lot of folks convert their garages into screened refuges and there's that darn smoker/cooker, impulse bought on credit, which was never used but once 5 years ago for Cousin Mary's graduation party, right in the way of where the outdoor TV stand needs to go. <I'm gonna burn>
I have a Jeep with fold down seats and plenty of time to kill.
Mwah ha ha...
Fold down seats?? You mean you have a Jeep with a trailer hitch, right? Or are we not talking about the same kind of smoker? Down south, pig cookers/smokers weigh about a half ton and have wheels on them and a hitch.

Here's a company with some nice ones. Check out the "small" one.

New Page 1
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Fold down seats?? You mean you have a Jeep with a trailer hitch, right? Or are we not talking about the same kind of smoker? Down south, pig cookers/smokers weigh about a half ton and have wheels on them and a hitch.

New Page 1
Remember its a New Yooorkkker talking about a smoker Wait its Noo Yawker..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #103

i did not measure it but about 3 ft for the brinkman. the logs are about 6 inches long and about an inch or so in diameter. The are actually bigger logs split down. The come bundled that way. In place of them you can use the bigger wood chunks rather that chips. Chips burn up too fast.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Remember its a New Yooorkkker talking about a smoker
Ooops. I just now realized you can buy smokers smaller than "whole hog" sized... Amazing the diversity of products out there on the market today.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #105

Hmmm. Electric may take an advantage here. I use enough chips to make one small log to smoke a brisket. A $7 bag of chips is going to make enough smoke for half a herd of briskets.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
i did not measure it but about 3 ft for the brinkman. the logs are about 6 inches long and about an inch or so in diameter. The are actually bigger logs split down. The come bundled that way. In place of them you can use the bigger wood chunks rather that chips. Chips burn up too fast.
Whew!
My concept of a log is a standard face cord log - 16" long and 4-6 inches in diameter. I have lots of the face cord size logs on hand, well seasoned. Maple, cherry, oak, etc. plus as much wild scrub apple in open fields along the road as I care to gather. I won't be wasting money on store-bought chips.
I will ask dh2b to pretty please cut some up for the smoker. He's pretty excited about me getting this, so that persuasion conversation will be minimal.
I think a road trip around some local nice developments a few times to see if I can spy an impulse purchase smoker (either type) for sale or for FREE by the side of the road. Yes, people do that around here. Much easier than trying to take it to the Salvation Army.
We have a lot of amateur deer and small game hunters around here, so I need to aim for the more expensive neighborhoods first.
The real hunters wouldn't part with their huge 50 gallon drum style cooker/smokers if they can afford to own one. Most are homemade.

That approach failing...then the ol' credit card is getting used for an electric one.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Remember its a New Yooorkkker talking about a smoker Wait its Noo Yawker..
HEY, I heard that!
Actually, I take no offense at being picked on for being a Noo Yawker. Just be careful of the return of the serve.
I blame my parents - they were native NYers and were return state residents when I was born.
All my other siblings were born in the Carolinas and Louisiana (Army brats) in the early to mid 50s.

Shocking...the truth finally comes out. I'm the family misfit.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

New Page 1
OMG, no. I'm looking for a backyard type.
The previous posts here will provide some cheap entertainment (at my expense).
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG, no. I'm looking for a backyard type.
See the thread "Noo Yawker trying to BBQ" for some cheap entertainment (at my expense).
Down south, those I linked to ARE backyard types. Plus, they have wheels so you can transport to The Game for Tailgating. You guys don't smoke whole hogs up there in your backyards in Noooo Yawrk?

I think I might have figured it out. BBQ = strictly pork down south. If you are going to barbeque something it is typically pork. So BBQ smoker = pig cooker down here. You are looking for a grill with a smoker.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Down south, those I linked to ARE backyard types. Plus, they have wheels so you can transport to The Game for Tailgating. You guys don't smoke whole hogs up there in your backyards in Noooo Yawrk?
Our volunteer fire departments have these, but they are mostly homemade. Some are quite elaborate if the dept has a talented welder.
Oh, and there are no "r"s in Yawk.
UPDATE: We are now safely ensconced in the "Noo Yawker trying to BBQ" thread for continued tomfoolery, so we didn't hijack the other thread.

Moderators - could you please relocate the smoker/BBQ posts here over to the Noo Yawker thread. [DONE]
Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whew!
My concept of a log is a standard face cord log - 16" long and 4-6 inches in diameter. I have lots of the face cord size logs on hand, well seasoned. Maple, cherry, oak, etc. plus as much wild scrub apple in open fields along the road as I care to gather. I won't be wasting money on store-bought chips.
Did someone say "hijack" in post number 110? Some years ago, I was confused about the meaning of "log." There was a small bathroom at MegaCorp used by just a few, so we sort knew who the usual suspects were when a sign went up on the mirror, "dispose of your logs properly!" Apparently someone had been in a snit about flushing every time but I didn't know that and wrote a note asking, "what do you mean by "logs"? Quick answer was, "caca." Someone else wrote, "the second note was funnier than the first." Next day I left a child's logging truck in one of the stalls.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think I might have figured it out. BBQ = strictly pork down south. If you are going to barbeque something it is typically pork. So BBQ smoker = pig cooker down here. You are looking for a grill with a smoker.
The Game is not so big up here as I suspect it is down south. Of course parents and alumni go to the HS football games and we do have Syracuse nearby (GO ORANGE) for basketball......and Buffalo for professional football (be nice or I'll tell you the Buffalo area code change joke).

BBQ versus smoking versus grilling...I'm learning the difference as we go.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Some years ago, I was confused about the meaning of "log."
I nominate this post as "Most disgusting hijack of a food-related thread".
Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll second that nomination.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll all come out in the end? Gotta go C my A.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think so. We need to start this one over, wipe it clean...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was impressed by the "log" in the bathroom story. I left my serious hat behind when I FIREd.
When I read your post, the scene of Bill Murray fishing the Baby Ruth out of the swmming pool and eating it in "Caddyshack", flashed through my head.
Too bad he didn't have any BBQ sauce handy.

On that note, it's time for me to hit the bricks. I need my beauty sleep.
But who shall I leave in charge of tomfoolery tonight?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If he needed BBQ sauce to improve it, it wasn't very good to begin with. The best candy bars don't *need* sauce that masks the flavor of the chocolate.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I read your post, the scene of Bill Murray fishing the Baby Ruth out of the swmming pool and eating it in "Caddyshack", flashed through my head.

Nice return to the original BBQ topic, Freebird. Reminds me, I'm cat sitting and the poor cats have to share a box of wheat litter which seems to intensify the odors. I dropped a full box of scented litter on top this morning, hope that covers it. On top of that, the plastic scoop is broken, will have to use my metal one.

[edit. Warning: disturbing image is linked. Disgusting misuse of tootsie rolls.]

Kitty Litter Cake - All Recipes
Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Good grief! I just had dinner. Why did I make the mistake of clicking on your link?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote