Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Nice return to the original BBQ topic, Freebird. Reminds me, I'm cat sitting and the poor cats have to share a box of wheat litter which seems to intensify the odors. I dropped a full box of scented litter on top this morning, hope that covers it. On top of that, the plastic scoop is broken, will have to use my metal one.

[edit. Warning: disturbing image is linked. Disgusting misuse of tootsie rolls.]

Kitty Litter Cake - All Recipes

Oh my face hurts from laughing.

The creator of this cake has to be a FIRE-ee with way too much time of his/her hands.
I thought I was bad with some of the odd stuff I do with my time.
I bow in deference to this eccentric kitchen artiste.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Good grief! I just had dinner. Why did I make the mistake of clicking on your link?
Um...looking for dessert?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Some BBQ purists do not use a sauce, preferring a dry rub instead. Here is a bit of a "family secret" located a few miles NW of the Alamo: Kanak Seasonings

Disclosure: My SIL makes it...
I'm going to phone in an order today once everyone is awake.
TY for the link.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm going to phone in an order today once everyone is awake.
TY for the link.
No "operator standing by", 24/7 online ordering for your convenience. The internet never sleeps.

Hope the $8 including shipping price doesn't put too much of a kink in your ER budget...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
UPDATE: We are now safely ensconced in the "Noo Yawker trying to BBQ" thread for continued tomfoolery, so we didn't hijack the other thread.
That other thread was my own thread!! Which brings up a good question: can one threadjack their own thread?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That other thread was my own thread!! Which brings up a good question: can one threadjack their own thread?
Hell yes, I do it all the time.
So let me get this straight...you hijacked your own thread, and then I hijacked it back to a thread I started.
The room is spinning....
Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to see what happens if both of you become moderators.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The pay's a little low from what I hear. Great fringe benefits though...
Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sssssshhhhhhhhhh.........
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The pay's a little low from what I hear.
Yeah, but you climb the salary ladder quickly. I got a 50% pay raise this year.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, but you climb the salary ladder quickly. I got a 50% pay raise this year.
When you put it that way, it does sound tempting. But I would feel strange censoring myself and deleting my own posts.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

New dilemma...we were at Sears the other day looking for a chain wrench, and dh2b noticed a traditional charcoal smoker and a gas vertical box smoker, both on sale. Neither was very good quality with respect to metal composition and ventilation features.
I had already figured out I was going to go with a Brinkman electric with wood chips being added...but...
if I get him involved in the decision*, I can get him to split half the cost with me.
He is voting for gas, not electric.
I managed to get him back to the tool department and out of the store before he did an impulse buy.

I've been checking Amazon and Bass Pro for drops in prices. This may end up being a late summer or fall purchase to catch a better discount.

* Remember we're still practicing the married thing until 2013.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think gas is any worse than electric. Nor is it any better. (still a wood kind of guy) If the price is cheap enough, I would go with the one on sale. If you have never seen a Brinkman, you will think they are cheaply made, and they are. Heck, for $40 now days what do you expect. Smokers don't really see much wear and tear. My Brinkman is 4 years old. Might last another two or three.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
...If you have never seen a Brinkman, you will think they are cheaply made, and they are. Heck, for $40 now days what do you expect. Smokers don't really see much wear and tear. My Brinkman is 4 years old. Might last another two or three.
We have acid rain due to living east of Great Lakes manufacturing plants, and high humidity (except in winter) conditions here.
I had a cheapo grill years and years ago and it rusted out very quickly. I had it stored under a good cover during the cold season. Outdoor metal has to be good quality for these here parts.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

You're gonna love this newsflash...I was over at my family boat club yesterday talking to the new kitchen staffers. They have a medium size trailerable smoker and are offered ribs and chicken only on Tuesdays.
They advertise it as "St Louis style...secret rub...slow smoked with applewood and cherry...slathered with BBQ sauce...Meals come with rolls, baked beans and Carolina slaw."

Ready for the prices ? Make sure you're sitting down...

1/4 rack (3-4 ribs) $8.95
1/2 rack (6-7 ribs) $14.50
Full rack (12-13 ribs) $21.95
Half chicken $11.99
Combo platter (1/4 chicken, 1/4 rack ribs) $14.50

Methinks the cost of getting my own smoker just took on a new basis.
I am still eyeballing the Bass Pro Shop and Amazon site for "sales".
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's see, $40 for a smoker, $10 for a 10lb brisket, $2 worth of wood. Seems like you can recover your cost in one sit down for 10! (brisket is put on sale down here at less than a buck a pound)
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #137

Quote:
Ready for the prices ? Make sure you're sitting down...

1/4 rack (3-4 ribs) $8.95
1/2 rack (6-7 ribs) $14.50
Full rack (12-13 ribs) $21.95
Half chicken $11.99
Combo platter (1/4 chicken, 1/4 rack ribs) $14.50

Guess it's a good thing we have a lot of competition out here. It's not cheap even out here in the heart of BBQ country, but it ain't that expensive.

A lot of places out here sell by the pound; you walk past the pit and tell them which piece of meat you want a cut from and tell them how much. They put it on a tray to weigh and price it, and then they cut it appropriately.

It's not unusual for a $2/lb brisket at the supermarket to become an $8.95/lb brisket dinner, but comparatively speaking that's still cheaper than $9 for 3 or 4 ribs or $12 for half a chicken...

I've been meaning to get a smoker for a long time, and my wife keeps reminding me. I just have this mortal fear of ruining a few good hunks of meat before I start getting it almost right. Besides, it's usually just the two of us and it's hard to economically make real "low and slow" smoked Texas BBQ for two.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been meaning to get a smoker for a long time, and my wife keeps reminding me. I just have this mortal fear of ruining a few good hunks of meat before I start getting it almost right. Besides, it's usually just the two of us and it's hard to economically make real "low and slow" smoked Texas BBQ for two.
Since you live only a stone's throw from what I consider to be one of the best BBQ joints on the planet, why set yourself up for failure?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Let's see, $40 for a smoker, $10 for a 10lb brisket, $2 worth of wood. Seems like you can recover your cost in one sit down for 10! (brisket is put on sale down here at less than a buck a pound)
Exactly the type of math I did in my head.
dh2b is on the traditional side of the fence BTW. He suggests I get the charcoal one, a good brand, at the lower price, try it out, and go from there.
Are you guys in cahoots?

It's just the two of us, but we do have friends.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...still cheaper than $9 for 3 or 4 ribs or $12 for half a chicken...

A new career for ya...come to NY and gouge the customers.
Even a greenhorn like me knows that's too much to pay, smoked ribs being a rare commodity or not for this locale. The kitchen folks are locals.

If I'm willing to try it out...