Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Round trip from San Antonio is a little over $600. Each. And then there's hotel, food, drinks, riding the little scooters, souveniers.... Or you could wait until he wanders back to Houston.
I'll probably be in Houston this October for Families Weekend, but I can offer a free surfing lesson in Hawaii with every copy that's personally picked up at the beach. I don't think Ohana Nords would be very happy trying to do that in Galveston's October surf temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I ordered a copy from Impact, just to help prime the pump. I'll read it, then donate it to the library at WPAFB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I will have to add to the library donation list. Perhaps I will take a ride to Colorado Springs and drop off a copy given all the military folks there.
Thanks! You both might be surprised at the number of military members in your local E-R.org chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Nords, I did some googleing and see your book is available for pre-order from a number of places including Amazon, WalMart and Borders. When will it be available through major on-line book retailers like these?
I don't have a good answer for that yet.

Amazon claims to have it "in stock" now, but they're getting stocked by National Book Network, which is waiting on Impact to send the books from their printer. Impact doesn't appear to talk directly to Amazon and none of them would talk to me about an individual title. And I don't know how Amazon is claiming to have a "used" copy. AFAIK the only used copies in existence are with Impact, REWahoo, and me.

I'm about to fill out Amazon's "Author Central" form (which apparently takes a week for them to coordinate with Impact) to do more marketing from there.

You other authors on the board-- if any of you have any experience with Author Central then I'm all eyes.

I'll work on Wal-Mart and Barnes & Noble next, then Borders. (Wal-Mart initially screwed up the ISBN with my data, so for a few days I was the author of a hot new Zumba book.) I've also asked Impact about them and I'll pass on the answers when I get them.

In retrospect, writing a book is way easier than editing it, let alone marketing/selling it. Certainly less time-consuming.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats Nords!

On a side note, what is up with the "used" book (yes, yours!) listed on the Amazon website?? $11.03 + $3.99 shipping!!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post

On a side note, what is up with the "used" book (yes, yours!) listed on the Amazon website?? $11.03 + $3.99 shipping!!
Fireup, I think Nords may suspect I'm trafficking in used paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And I don't know how Amazon is claiming to have a "used" copy. AFAIK the only used copies in existence are with Impact, REWahoo, and me.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

All the best, Nords, and in every way. You are helping thousands of people see a new way of living - not to mention aiding all of those through the military charities.

So impressive. So exciting! So thrilled for you.

Akaisha and Billy
Authors, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 06-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Should be receiving my copy in the mail any day now. Can't wait to read it.

I will be passing it on (after reading it) to a young soldier who is just finishing up his training at Ft. Sam Houston as a combat medic (68W). He'll need all the help he can get.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all the e-mails & PMs, and most especially thanks to the poster who donated all the books! I'll post more about how that worked out after I distribute them.

Now I need to catch up on next week's blog posts and add a bunch of book-ordering links to the other pages. You contributors who've received your copies of "The Military Guide" should be able to post reviews on the Amazon.com author's page now. (And, of course, you could post them on this board too!) Interestingly the book's sales ranking has gone from #718,319 to #749,107 in just 12 hours. I have no idea what that means.

I'll talk to Impact next week about the "Search inside the book" feature and e-reader versions.

Until then the first chapter is also posted on Impact's website (http://www.impactpublications.com/ep..._chapter_1.pdf).

The 4"x5" 64-page pocket guide should be back from the printers very soon, and it's also available for order on Impact's website now. Military Financial Independence and Retirement Pocket Guide

I've had several queries about bulk orders. The publisher must be getting some queries, too, because he says anyone wanting to order multiple copies should e-mail him directly. If you're planning to buy five or more copies (for your command or your shipmates) then PM me for Ron Krannich's e-mail address.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats.....writing and having a book published is no easy task. Good for you!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
You contributors who've received your copies of "The Military Guide" should be able to post reviews on the Amazon.com author's page now.
A big BZ to you, Nords.

Amazon says my review should be posted within the next 48 hours. The young wife says to tell you that she really likes your writing style.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A big BZ to you, Nords.
Amazon says my review should be posted within the next 48 hours. The young wife says to tell you that she really likes your writing style.
Thanks!

Like I said, XOs all over the fleet are mystified at what must have happened since I wrote my last point paper...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey Nords,

I got my copy today. Thanks. The book looks great! I will get a review up on Amazon in the next couple of weeks!

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A big BZ to you, Nords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98 View Post
Hey Nords,
I got my copy today. Thanks. The book looks great! I will get a review up on Amazon in the next couple of weeks!
Tomcat98
Thanks, guys!

It must be just a coincidence that Amazon was listing the book as low as $11.50 before the reviews started rolling in... now it's back up to $14.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #52
Administrator

It is my understanding that Amazon will move the price around, occasionally several times in the same day, to determine which price attracts the most interest and most sales.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Should be receiving my copy in the mail any day now. Can't wait to read it.

I will be passing it on (after reading it) to a young soldier who is just finishing up his training at Ft. Sam Houston as a combat medic (68W). He'll need all the help he can get.
Good idea. I'm going to get one and pass it on to my buddy's son, a Navy pilot. He's 30 - at the age where financial advice would do the most good.

Thanks to Nords for putting this together to support those in the military in their quest for FIRE.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good idea. I'm going to get one and pass it on to my buddy's son, a Navy pilot. He's 30 - at the age where financial advice would do the most good.
Thanks to Nords for putting this together to support those in the military in their quest for FIRE.
You're welcome! Lots of source material out there. The main challenge was organizing it.

I'm going to have to start a marketing poll on why people are buying the book-- for themselves or for someone else. I suspect I've drastically underestimated the latter. I guess everyone's happy about a free copy of a FIRE book.

I don't know if it's considered polite to give someone a book on how to get a job...

Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't know if it's considered polite to give someone a book on how to get a job...
I thought the book was about how NOT to get a job after putting in your 20!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought the book was about how NOT to get a job after putting in your 20!
I was referring to the finding-a-job genre that includes "From Air Force Blue to Corporate Gray", and others of their ilk!

One of the first editorial resistances I encountered (not from Impact) was "early retirement is too narrow a niche for book sales". My unspoken response was "Yep, I hear that from every still-working editor who's not financially independent". Of course it's true that a military servicemember could interpret "early retirement" as "medical/disability", although that's not what the editors meant.

But I think the title still manages to suck in the unwary worker and quietly subvert them to the early-retirement perspective.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I think the title still manages to suck in the unwary worker and quietly subvert them to the early-retirement perspective.
Yeah, but the central message remains...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yeah, but the central message remains...
I was bummed when the publisher pulled my rock&roll chapter lyrics, but I'd use this for the second edition!

Of course with a job like theirs, who'd retire?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

I love your attitude and writing style, and I just ordered a copy of your book from Impact Publications. If I like the book (and I bet I will) I will contact you to buy multiple copies for the military libraries in my area. There are lots of military libraries here in the DC area.

I am feeling good today. I retired from the Army in 1999, and today I retired from my second (and final) career. So I figure I am maybe 11 years behind you in getting to that ultimate retirement, but I finally made it.
OhSoClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post
I love your attitude and writing style, and I just ordered a copy of your book from Impact Publications. If I like the book (and I bet I will) I will contact you to buy multiple copies for the military libraries in my area. There are lots of military libraries here in the DC area.
Thanks! Check your PMs for the bulk-ordering info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post
I am feeling good today. I retired from the Army in 1999, and today I retired from my second (and final) career. So I figure I am maybe 11 years behind you in getting to that ultimate retirement, but I finally made it.
Congratulations. It's not where they put the finish line but rather how you run the race...