Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
Got the book the other day in the mail, I am quite impressed!

In talking to fellow officers here in the squadron, FI and RE seem to be more common than many people think. Problem is that unfortunately, not everyone plans early enough. Part of the reason why is that just like you point out in chapter 1, when you're at work, all of your mentors are working as well, and they typically aren't thinking of RE.

Your book offers those of us still in the military a look beyond the next 5 or 10 years. After all, everyone gets out of the military at some point in life, whether it is your choice or Uncle Sam's.

Thanks for your good work, Nords.
__________________

__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,380
Congratulations on getting your book published. I'm sure this will help so many military families and you've been there done that and are now enjoying the rewards of FIRE!


Impact Publications must be planning a very special edition of the Pocket Guide. Perhaps with gold pages and diamond accents? Their website advertises it as costing from $2.95 to $59,000.00!
__________________

__________________
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Impact Publications must be planning a very special edition of the Pocket Guide. Perhaps with gold pages and diamond accents? Their website advertises it as costing from $2.95 to $59,000.00!
The $59,000 edition includes a year living in Nord's pad in Hawaii and surfing lessons.
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #64
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Well done, Nords! How can I get a personally inscribed/autographed copy for my nephew? (25 YO, EMT, E-5 in the Chair Force... starting to get his financial act together, newly married, buying his first house- timing is perfect)
WS
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Got the book the other day in the mail, I am quite impressed!
In talking to fellow officers here in the squadron, FI and RE seem to be more common than many people think. Problem is that unfortunately, not everyone plans early enough. Part of the reason why is that just like you point out in chapter 1, when you're at work, all of your mentors are working as well, and they typically aren't thinking of RE.
I talk about how financial independence can happen in as little as five years (like Jacob Lund Fisker's EarlyRetirementExtreme, http://the-military-guide.com/2011/0...independent-2/), and it's quite achievable over a 20-year career, but the reality is that it's not too hard to make it happen even in 10 years. Depends on the priorities, although a retention bonus contract can't hurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congratulations on getting your book published. I'm sure this will help so many military families and you've been there done that and are now enjoying the rewards of FIRE!
Impact Publications must be planning a very special edition of the Pocket Guide. Perhaps with gold pages and diamond accents? Their website advertises it as costing from $2.95 to $59,000.00!
Depends on just how much "guiding" you need.

No, actually $2.95 is the cost of one 4"x5" 64-page pocket guide, and $59K is the discounted price for the first 100,000 copies.

You may laugh (I certainly did!) but the state of Florida recently bought 125,000 copies of Impact's military-to-civilian-job-search pocket guide for their state VA office. So at those volumes I guess Impact is ready to pass on some savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
The $59,000 edition includes a year living in Nord's pad in Hawaii and surfing lessons.
Um, yeah, yeah that's right, for that amount I'm sure we can work something out...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Nords,
Just ordered the book from Impact. I'm basically retired now (living off the DW who IS working) but can always use more info on doing it right. I know a couple of ER Naval Aviators living on the west side of the island and I'll let them know about the book. They could just drive over to get it from you, right?
__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Nords,
Just ordered the book from Impact. I'm basically retired now (living off the DW who IS working) but can always use more info on doing it right. I know a couple of ER Naval Aviators living on the west side of the island and I'll let them know about the book. They could just drive over to get it from you, right?
West side? No problem-- they can meet me at White Plains Beach. I'll be the ponytailed guy in the gray rashguard, about 100 yards seaward of the fenceline...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
West side? No problem-- they can meet me at White Plains Beach. I'll be the ponytailed guy in the gray rashguard, about 100 yards seaward of the fenceline...
Hey remember I'm an airdale so is it the "windward" or "leeward" side of the island?? All I know is to get there you go 270 degrees
__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Hey remember I'm an airdale so is it the "windward" or "leeward" side of the island?? All I know is to get there you go 270 degrees
... yeah, and if you get to Midway you've gone too far...

All Leeward.

Luckily for them White Plains Beach is in Kalaeloa, which before BRAC 1993 used to be known as NAS Barbers Point. It's the big beach off Tripoli Road about a mile east of the U.S. Coast Guard station.

White Plains has an old chain-link fence on its eastern side. If you sight along the fence out toward the surfing break, I'm usually about a hundred yards out into the water. I'm using three different boards these days depending on conditions and my ambition, so I can't predict which one I'll be riding.

I can remember when Barbers Point used to be a bustling hotbed of furious aviation activity. These days it's like driving through a ghost town.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... yeah, and if you get to Midway you've gone too far...

All Leeward.

Luckily for them White Plains Beach is in Kalaeloa, which before BRAC 1993 used to be known as NAS Barbers Point. It's the big beach off Tripoli Road about a mile east of the U.S. Coast Guard station.

White Plains has an old chain-link fence on its eastern side. If you sight along the fence out toward the surfing break, I'm usually about a hundred yards out into the water. I'm using three different boards these days depending on conditions and my ambition, so I can't predict which one I'll be riding.

I can remember when Barbers Point used to be a bustling hotbed of furious aviation activity. These days it's like driving through a ghost town.
I didn't realize it was shut down! Has it all been turned over to the civilians or are there still some housing there? Is the runway still being used by the reserves or is it a civil airport now? Or none of the above?
__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I didn't realize it was shut down! Has it all been turned over to the civilians or are there still some housing there? Is the runway still being used by the reserves or is it a civil airport now? Or none of the above?
It's mostly state property now, although some of it is slated to be privatized. Navy still owns the recreation areas like Nimitz & White Plains beaches and their cottages.

There's still lots of housing in use, most of it by military and some of it by civil servants and some by civilians. I've lost track of what land is still owned by the Navy and what's been turned over to developers as part of the public/private military housing partnership.

I'm not sure who's using the runway. Coast Guard, of course. I see occasional P-3 flights from there, although they're based in Kaneohe now. Private planes don't use it as much as they used to, although I've seen them occasionally. I don't know if USCG even controls the runway but I see it being maintained.

Army National Guard is using the old P-3 hangars for their trucks & equipment. Many of the buildings are being rented by businesses. And, of course, it's a lot easier to get through the base now that all the gates are open all the time...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Fun & data overload with Amazon.com's Author Central.

If you confirm your author ID to Amazon, your book listing page will also get its own author's web page and discussion board to set up on your book's page. On a book page, scroll down below "Product Details" to see "More About the Author". Then scroll down (past the five-star reviews!) to get to "Customer Discussions".

Amazon also offers a retail sales tracker based on their website plus other national retail reports. (They claim their tracker captures 75% of a book's total retail sales.) Their tracker reports that the first three books were sold between 30 May and 5 June. One of those books was bought in Providence-New Bedford, RI while the other two were bought "somewhere in the continental U.S." (Amazon.com apparently doesn't care about Alaska or Hawaii or Puerto Rico or Guam or American Samoa...)

They also rank your book hourly against eight million other books. Those three books were enough to generate a ranking of 849,526 on 5 June. However as of 5 PM Hawaii time on Thu 9 June, the rank has leaped up to 93,290. That technically puts "The Military Guide" just inside the top 1.2% of Amazon's sales!

Well, sure, that's the math, anyway. I'm not sure how many more books had to sell this week to jump the rank up to the 93,000s, but we should know more by the next server update this weekend.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Congratulations, Nords.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 397
Nords,

Congratulations on getting your book published.

Will the exchanges be stocking it?

2soon2tell
__________________
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Nords,
Congratulations on getting your book published.
Will the exchanges be stocking it?
2soon2tell
Thanks, and I sure hope so!

The main reason I went with Impact Publications is because their distributor, National Book Network, stocks the military exchanges.

I guess the exchange managers have some discretion over what they get from NBN, but I can't imagine why they'd pass this one up.

Hardcopy is shipping now and should arrive in August.

We're trying to figure out if an e-reader version comes from Impact/NBN or if I do it on Amazon.com. The copyrights are laid out in the contract but it's mainly an issue of who does the work and what format(s) are produced.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Bob Clyatt's review is up now-- thanks, Bob!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Amazon's BookScan just popped a weekly update. Six copies!

That's three copies last week, and three copies the week before.

Sales are broken down by geographic areas, and BookScan claims that four purchases occurred in:
Colorado Springs-Pueblo,
Dayton,
Providence-New Bedford, and
Washington, DC.

Two more were sold "somewhere else", and there may have been as many as 25% more sold without being captured by BookScan.

Thanks, everyone!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Amazon's BookScan just popped a weekly update. Six copies!

That's three copies last week, and three copies the week before.

Sales are broken down by geographic areas, and BookScan claims that four purchases occurred in:
Colorado Springs-Pueblo,
Dayton,
Providence-New Bedford, and
Washington, DC.

Two more were sold "somewhere else", and there may have been as many as 25% more sold without being captured by BookScan.

Thanks, everyone!
Looks like around military bases.

Tomcat98
__________________
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Amazon's BookScan now reports three books a week up through 19 June. The book formally went on sale at Amazon on 16 June so the sales numbers could start rising.

I still haven't heard back how Impact Publications tracks sales data. It might only be looked at monthly or even quarterly, but I'll pass on the numbers when I get them. For now they're just shoveling the pallets at the distributor and they won't get good numbers until the military exchanges report back.

For those of you who've ordered it, the pocket guide should be shipping any day now.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fireup2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
For those of you who've ordered it, the pocket guide should be shipping any day now.

Whew - glad I did not give my COC an arrival date - I get to present financial training to our command...and have ordered a bunch of these! Was starting to wonder about the shipment!
__________________

__________________
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting book Chuckanut FIRE and Money 7 10-03-2011 09:38 AM
Book Idea: Endgame: The End of the Debt Supercycle and how it Changes Everything Midpack Other topics 0 09-29-2011 07:50 PM
"The Military Guide" book signings: Lackland & Randolph BXs @ San Antonio 9 & 12 Sep Nords Other topics 13 09-21-2011 09:08 PM
Book: "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis rgarling Health and Early Retirement 46 09-17-2011 11:50 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.