Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm also looking for volunteers to step up with book donations to libraries on military bases and local communities. I've taken care of the Hawaii State Public Library system and the Pearl Harbor, Schofield, & Kaneohe base libraries. You'd think that would eat into sales but the reality is that people read the book from the library, get tired of borrowing it, buy their own copy, and buy extra copies for their family/friends.
Nords,

Congratulations on completing this project!

I'd be interested in volunteering to donate a few copies. (And I assume others here are also.)

I'm not affiliated with the military, so I don't have any ready connections.

Is this something where I can send a check to you or your publisher or book distributor and they can send the copies out? OR do I need to take possession of the books and forward them (and to where?)?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Proud of you, Nords.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'd be interested in volunteering to donate a few copies. (And I assume others here are also.)
I'm not affiliated with the military, so I don't have any ready connections.
Is this something where I can send a check to you or your publisher or book distributor and they can send the copies out? OR do I need to take possession of the books and forward them (and to where?)?
Thanks!

Whatever's easiest for you. You can send a check to me, or PayPal to NordsNords at my Gmail address. (PM or e-mail me if you decide to go this route.) Or you can order the books from Impact to be sent to you, then drop them off at your public library. Your donation to the library (or to their "Friends of the Library" non-profit group) may be tax-deductible.

If you don't have a military ID then it's probably easier to phone the base library to arrange for a pickup. One way to do that would be to drop the book off at the base's Pass & ID office for them to send to the library via their base interoffice mail.

I suppose that some of you are snickering at the prospect of checks being sent to some guy you've met over the Internet, but you're welcome to invite ClifP to execute an unannounced financial audit at any time. (The only ink on the books so far is red!) DangerMouse and Tomcat98 might be willing to fly out here for a surprise inspection, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Nords accepting his first award......
Dude! All I need is some tasty... ummm... I mean a good... er, sorry, ladies.... um, what we were talking about again?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I heard James Cameron since he has done boat movies ! Wonder who will play Nords ?
I vote for Jeff Bridges. The Dude abides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the dude.jpg (43.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #25
gone traveling

Nords, What a fantastic sense of accomplishment that must be; hats off to you! That said, I have always wondered how an ex-military guy could be a surfer too, unless you were a former SEAL.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nords, What a fantastic sense of accomplishment that must be; hats off to you! That said, I have always wondered how an ex-military guy could be a surfer too, unless you were a former SEAL.
He used to water ski behind the sub using a really long tow line when it was on surface maneuvers.

Also, big congrats on the book Nords! Have you started the next installment yet
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Nords! I hope the military couple who got a D on Suze Orman's "How am I doing" find out about your book.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Nords. You don't need me to tell you (but I'll do it anyway) that you are doing a great service to our military personnel by providing an opportunity for self help in this area.

Reading your posts - both personal finance and off-topic has opened in my mind ROTC or a similar option as a possible route I will encourage for my kids to consider when they are older.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on your book, Nords. What a great accomplishment.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #30

Wow, and I thought all the stuff you posted here was just BS!

Seriously, congratulations on a very worthwhile project.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
That said, I have always wondered how an ex-military guy could be a surfer too, unless you were a former SEAL.
I graduated from the Army's Airborne school in 1979 with ambitions of Marine recon or Marine aviation, just a few weeks before I discovered submarines. Submariners have a habit of being SEAL wannabes (I know of at least two shipmates) but I just wasn't that hardcore. (Dick Couch wrote some excellent books on what it takes!) In retrospect, I'm really really glad I didn't learn how to surf until after I'd retired:
Lifestyles in military retirement: surfing | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Also, big congrats on the book Nords! Have you started the next installment yet
Yep! 2nd edition "expansion topics" include the military's Survivor Benefits Plan, TSP withdrawal options, military long-term care insurance through the federal program, an appendix about asset allocation, and more details about ER with kids. From this point on I'm hoping to scavenge the blog for the next print edition.

Contributions, personal stories, and proofreader volunteers welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Congratulations Nords! I hope the military couple who got a D on Suze Orman's "How am I doing" find out about your book.
I'm still trying to track down JoAnn and Tony from Colorado! Nothing heard so far.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I graduated from the Army's Airborne school in 1979 with ambitions of Marine recon or Marine aviation, just a few weeks before I discovered submarines. Submariners have a habit of being SEAL wannabes (I know of at least two shipmates) but I just wasn't that hardcore. (Dick Couch wrote some excellent books on what it takes!) In retrospect, I'm really really glad I didn't learn how to surf until after I'd retired:
Lifestyles in military retirement: surfing | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Is it OK to call you Duke?

By the way, you are a most excellent writer.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you find out the schedule for his book signing tour, please let me know - I'd like to get him to autograph my copy. )
This will be the conversation:
Quote:
REW: Sweetie, I'd like to get my book signed by the author.
Sweetie: That's a great idea. Where's the book signing?
REW: mumble... mumble....
Sweetie: What's that? I didn't catch it?
REW: You know that Hawaiian vacation we've always talked about?
Sweetie: What does that have to do with anything?
REW: Well, it's a 2-fer. We not only get the book signed - we also have a fabulous vacation.
Round trip from San Antonio is a little over $600. Each. And then there's hotel, food, drinks, riding the little scooters, souveniers.... Or you could wait until he wanders back to Houston.

I vote for Hawaii.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
Administrator

Congratulations Nords, a great achievement.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Write on, Nords!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #36

Congratulations! Really impressive, and a sorely needed resource. I hope you'll keep us updated on the sales and responses you get on your blog/Twitter/Facebook.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #37

I ordered a copy from Impact, just to help prime the pump. I'll read it, then donate it to the library at WPAFB. Welcome to the exciting, big-money world of freelance writing!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Nords. I will have to add to the library donation list. Perhaps I will take a ride to Colorado Springs and drop off a copy given all the military folks there.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Nords, I did some googleing and see your book is available for pre-order from a number of places including Amazon, WalMart and Borders. When will it be available through major on-line book retailers like these?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Well Done!