Nords' book ...

I just ordered your book from Amazon for my SIL who is in the navy. He is planning on getting out of the military in 06/12, when his 6 yrs are up. He wants to finish his degree and possibly go back in as an officer to get manager experience. He has a brother that is in the army, so he could pass it on to him when he is finished. So I just thought that I would let you know that one is on it's way to WV and will end up in CA.

I just ordered your book from Amazon for my SIL who is in the navy. He is planning on getting out of the military in 06/12, when his 6 yrs are up. He wants to finish his degree and possibly go back in as an officer to get manager experience. He has a brother that is in the army, so he could pass it on to him when he is finished. So I just thought that I would let you know that one is on it's way to WV and will end up in CA.
Holy cow, that went fast. It seems as if he just enlisted last month, although I guess it felt like a lot longer from his perspective.

I sure hope he has his GI Bill lined up, or maybe he could apply for a commissioning program like NROTC. From what I've been reading on Military.com and other discussion boards, he should apply as far in advance as possible to give them time to sort through the applications backlog and start the payment process.

I don't know how the rest of the board's enlisted veterans or mustangs feel about getting a commission for manager/leadership experience. He might already have plenty of that, and the degree would just be the sheepskin to go with the credibility...

Three books sold last week, all in the DC area! I guess DC looks just like WV from Amazon's Galactic HQ.

Thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Manitowoc Public Library!

Zero hardcopy sales reported last week, although Kindle sales seem to be continuing.

Holy cow, that went fast. It seems as if he just enlisted last month, although I guess it felt like a lot longer from his perspective.

I sure hope he has his GI Bill lined up, or maybe he could apply for a commissioning program like NROTC. From what I've been reading on Military.com and other discussion boards, he should apply as far in advance as possible to give them time to sort through the applications backlog and start the payment process.

I don't know how the rest of the board's enlisted veterans or mustangs feel about getting a commission for manager/leadership experience. He might already have plenty of that, and the degree would just be the sheepskin to go with the credibility...

Three books sold last week, all in the DC area! I guess DC looks just like WV from Amazon's Galactic HQ.
It has went fast. He has been doing online classes for college and is set to graduate at the end of next year. He does not care for being an orthopedic tech and wants to get into computer security. He has been studying it himself and has passed 3 certifications tests that are basic. He has also been doing a computer internship for Balboa museums in San Diego and has learned a lot from the hands on experience. They are not sure what they are going to do. They hate being away from family and don't like their DD seeing her grandparents mostly over the computer. His family is from Morgantown also. I keep thinking that in only 14 years, he could have a pension and some healthcare. It is not my decision though and I did not think twice when my DH got out of the AF after 4 yrs. I would also love to have them back home, but don't want to limit their employment opportunities. I am hoping that your book will help him to take everything into consideration and that they make the best decision for their family.

Five more sales during 19-25 Dec, including four in the Washington, DC area-- Mele Kalikimaka, everyone!

I expected a royalty check from the publisher this month, and it hasn't happened. Next week I'll start with the e-mails & phone calls.

It has went fast. He has been doing online classes for college and is set to graduate at the end of next year.
I keep thinking that in only 14 years, he could have a pension and some healthcare. It is not my decision though and I did not think twice when my DH got out of the AF after 4 yrs. I would also love to have them back home, but don't want to limit their employment opportunities. I am hoping that your book will help him to take everything into consideration and that they make the best decision for their family.
From his side of the enlistment, he's probably thinking of all the things that could have happened during the last six years. Especially if he was seeing those things happen to other people firsthand.

If he's not totally repulsed by the thought, especially in San Diego, it might be worth signing up for the Navy Reserve or USCG Reserve. (In your neck of the woods, maybe not so much Navy Reserve as Army National Guard.) The latest upsell for a Reserve obligation is a guarantee of no involuntary mobilizations during the first two years. However in a big company town like SDGO he'll have plenty of chances for active duty and voluntary mobilizations, and he might be able to completely avoid the involuntary stuff. The worst case would be up to a year of drills followed by transferring to the IRR so that he can finish his Reserve commitment without being mobilized.

From what I've read & heard, the active duty commands are pretty bad at putting out the latest info on the Reserves. I'd recommend that he make an appointment with the Navy Reserve recruiter in his area and spend an hour with them. Either that or PM FireUp2020 for her advice.

He may decide that life is a lot better when he's finishing college on his GI Bill, gets a Reserve commission, and has a second career with officer insignia.

But whether or not he decides to stay in the military, he'll want that college degree sooner rather than later.

Another two sales last week, to close out 2011 with a total report of 65 books between May-October and 24 more in Nov-Dec. Actual sales will be higher since Amazon's "Author Central" only captures up to 75% of the totals. That also does not include e-book or pocket guide sales.

Impact counts the royalty periods through the end of October and April, and then sends out the checks on 31 Dec and 30 June. I'm expecting a royalty check any minute now.

A poster informs me that a library copy is now available in the Sacramento county public system. It doesn't show up on WorldCat yet, but neither does the [-]one[/-] two I've donated to two different Oahu branches of the Hawaii State Public Library System.

So if you've been waiting for me to post about your local library, you might find it in your system long before WorldCat hears about it.

And thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Air University Library of the Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center at Maxwell AFB! Are the Air Force guys just more financially aware? Do they know something about the coming military drawdown, or have they made a research-prediction breakthrough? Or are they just that much more miserable in their service and even more motivated to seek financial independence?

Are the Air Force guys just more financially aware? Do they know something about the coming military drawdown, or have they made a research-prediction breakthrough? Or are they just that much more miserable in their service and even more motivated to seek financial independence?

Bored on long flights?

Are the Air Force guys just more financially aware? Do they know something about the coming military drawdown, or have they made a research-prediction breakthrough? Or are they just that much more miserable in their service and even more motivated to seek financial independence?
I suspect they have a morbid curiosity about how "those other guys" think...

Sales report from Impact Publications for June-October (five months):
605 copies of the book (six of them e-books) and 2929(!) copies of the pocket guide.

Note that Amazon Author Central logged only 65 copies sold during the same period. Apparently they don't quite capture the 75% rate that they claim.

Impact Publications pays out royalties twice a year. This check is for $1136.15. By the time you read this I'll have sent two contributions (with a nice cover letter about the book) for $568.08 to Wounded Warrior Project, and another $568.07 to Fisher House!

More details (and the sales report itself) here:
Sales results for “The Military Guide” | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

605 copies of the book (six of them e-books) and 2929(!) copies of the pocket guide.

Big congrats, Nords!

Since all this was word-of-mouth and online, can't wait to see the results of your next sales report now that the book has physically showed up on the shelf at military exchanges. I'm expecting to see a significant increase.

Impact Publications pays out royalties twice a year. This check is for $1136.15. By the time you read this I'll have sent two contributions (with a nice cover letter about the book) for $568.08 to Wounded Warrior Project, and another $568.07 to Fisher House!

Awesome start, Nords!

omni

That is so awesome, Nords, truly. So much work on your part to create a helpful book, and all of your proceeds going to your causes. I bow to you.

Yesterday I checked the Rebecca M Arthurs Library and they have my donated copy on the shelf. The Tightwad Gazette is near by. Good company to be in.

Seriously folks I'm lazy and generous.
How to send Nord's book to local civic or USAF library?

Seriously folks I'm lazy and generous.
How to send Nord's book to local civic or USAF library?
1. Buy a copy of the book. If you order multiple copies then Impact Publications will give you a bulk discount.

2. Walk into your local library and say "I want to donate this. It's been donated in over 20 other libraries nationwide, so it's probably already cataloged for you to copy to your system."

3. Call the military base for the mailing address of their base library, and then mail the books. You might also be able to determine whether you can drop off a package at the Pass & ID office. Or, if you know someone with a DoD ID card (military or DoD civilian) they should be able to drive onto the base and drop them off for you.

4. I'm available for personal appearances-- during warm weather only.

Congratulations, Nords. Just to write a book is a major accomplishment, and to have it sell well is great. Good job on having a good idea and following through on it.

Three more copies logged by Amazon's Author Central last week.

Of course we now know that means the actual number is somewhere between 20 and 30 copies...

The book sales are doing great and I'm sure the charities will really appreciate the donations. Great job Nords!

And thanks to whoever donated a copy to the Air University Library of the Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center at Maxwell AFB! Are the Air Force guys just more financially aware? Do they know something about the coming military drawdown, or have they made a research-prediction breakthrough? Or are they just that much more miserable in their service and even more motivated to seek financial independence?

Well, we all know they're just smarter and more evolved...right? ;)

And, since AF personnel spend half their active duty time on the golf course anyway, they're already trained for ER.

Well, we all know they're just smarter and more evolved...right? ;)
And, since AF personnel spend half their active duty time on the golf course anyway, they're already trained for ER.
I've been racking my brains trying to think of Navy research centers, and the only ones I've thought of are the Naval Postgraduate School and the Naval Research Labs... neither of which seem to have a copy of the book.

I was going to make a snarky comparison between the number of research libraries a service maintains and its operational tempo!

Back
Top Bottom