Nords hits the big time!

You'll have to think back on what the photographer talked you into!

I can never tell what interview or promotion is going to lead to more eyeballs in the book or on the blog. For every result like this article I probably go through 10 more auditions or e-mail exchanges that just fade away. I've learned to be open to saying "Yes" unless it requires ridiculous amounts of hoop-jumping, and learning whatever techniques I can during the process.

It's like the marketing guy who says that half his advertising budget is wasted, and he just wishes he could figure out which half...

I'm still trying to rise to your level of fame! :D

I've never had a photographer come out. I did get a friend to take some nice headshots since I get those requests often enough (and DW made fun of my previous horrible attempt at a selfie headshot).

Attachments

• me-cropped-headshot.jpg
    me-cropped-headshot.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Excellent article, Nords! And nice of you to come back just to see if anyone noticed :D

I'm still trying to rise to your level of fame! :D
Well, come to FinCon and we'll take care of the rest!

If you happen to already have any accounts with USAA, I'd be happy to introduce you to their staff. They hold an annual blogger conference for people like you, and that's how I made these connections.

If you don't have any USAA accounts then we'll introduce you to the USAA staff who come to FinCon.

Excellent article, Nords! And nice of you to come back just to see if anyone noticed :D
Thanks!

I'm subscribed to a number of threads here, and I drop by once in a while to search for keywords. Otherwise send me a PM or an e-mail...

Well, come to FinCon and we'll take care of the rest!

I'm tentatively planning on going to fincon 2015. See if you can use your fame to persuade them to hold it in Hawaii. DW should be done with work by then, and we can bring the whole family. And in 2015, I won't book a cruise the same week as fincon (lesson learned). Unless the cruise is departing from the city where fincon is located.

I'm tentatively planning on going to fincon 2015. See if you can use your fame to persuade them to hold it in Hawaii.
Sorry about the cruise conflict-- however that might give PT some ideas for a completely different sort of "money cruise!"

A Hawaii FinCon would sure make the Australian attendees happy, but we'd have to change around the schedule to make room for dawn patrol. We'd also have a dozen frugal FinCon attendees crashed in our familyroom...

Sorry about the cruise conflict-- however that might give PT some ideas for a completely different sort of "money cruise!"

A Hawaii FinCon would sure make the Australian attendees happy, but we'd have to change around the schedule to make room for dawn patrol. We'd also have a dozen frugal FinCon attendees crashed in our familyroom...

You might even have one particularly frugal FinCon attendee and his wife and three young children crashing in your living room. Unless I can find a good redemption value with my Starwood hotel points... :D

You might even have one particularly frugal FinCon attendee and his wife and three young children crashing in your living room.
I've seen your food photos-- you and your family can stay here anytime!

I've seen your food photos-- you and your family can stay here anytime!

Yeah, give me $20 and access to an Asian grocery, and you can have incredible pad thai or pho to serve 10-15. :)

Congrats to Nords. I liked the surfboard photo in the contents section the best.

Congrats to Nords. I liked the surfboard photo in the contents section the best.
Thanks. The photographer brought the board along as a prop but it was a nice 6'10". We only had time for a couple of waves, and he wasn't set up for surf shots. Haleiwa Ali'i's break was cranking out six-footers at 5 PM... I may have to explore that more thoroughly this winter.

I bought the rest of the photographer's shots-- $350 for 100 high-resolution images to add to the family photo album, but this may be one of those lifetime opportunities. I doubt I can get a pro to come to my house for four hours of wardrobe, makeup, & poses at that price.

Attachments

• USAA 378.jpg
    USAA 378.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom