Nords hits the big time!

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Earlier today I finally looked at my USAA Magazine that came the other day. There is an article about frugal living which features a profile of our own Nords in his Aloha shirt along with his strategies for living on his Navy pension, investments and income from his rental property. Article also mentions his book.

Way to go!

Nice write up. Congrats to Nords!

Outstanding!

This is the second USAA profile of a person I know. A few years back, USAA profiled one of my former USAF bosses.

Wonder if Nords will still hang out with us now that he's famous :LOL:

Next thing ya know we'll be seeing him in an episode of Hawaii 5-0:cool:

Good for you Nords, poster child for lifestyles of the frugal and famous:D

Thanks! Not only did we get the message out, but I had a great time.

USAA Magazine hired a professional photographer, and I regret that none of my aloha shirts made the cut. (That's a loaner.) We started out at our home and ended up at Haleiwa Ali'i Beach Park. The magazine put a lot of labor and money into this!

I'd like to quell another rumor: no, that is not our back yard. Marco Garcia Photography spent four hours taking hundreds of pictures (including our actual back yard), and the editors liked that one. It's in an old cane field alongside Kamehameha Highway overlooking Haleiwa. (I'm gazing over the traffic crawling up the hill on the other side of the berm.) But we did get to go surfing during the shoot, so no complaints. The magazine sent me a 5"x7" print of another photo, and now I can talk to Marco about getting the rest of his shots for our family album and social media.

Best interview ever. Andrea Peck asked all the right questions and Pace Communications put two fact-checkers on the job. I think Andrea has another interview in the works. If you're a USAA member or military retiree with a success story about financial independence, then you're the type of person she'd like to talk to someday. Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass your name along.

USAA is also putting out a couple of big announcements on their website. I'm posting on Thu 5 June about their "Top Military Communities" tool, and they have a major back-office upgrade coming from their investment branch in a few months. I'm tentatively planning to post about that on Thu 19 June.

So it's true...you heard it here first....Nords was outstanding in his field. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

omni

I read the article and looked at the picture and THEN!! Bingo, figured out it was you. Good job!

Congratulations Nords! It seems that the message can never get out to enough people enough times as to how important it is to plan and save.

Nords: what in the hell are you doing out in that field of weeds? ;)

I did something similar for State Farm's quarterly newsletter (Fall/winter 2014??). It's not out yet, but I expect a similar level of fame and notoriety once my puff piece hits the millions of State Farm customer's mailboxes. :)

Nords: what in the hell are you doing out in that field of weeds? ;)

I did something similar for State Farm's quarterly newsletter (Fall/winter 2014??). It's not out yet, but I expect a similar level of fame and notoriety once my puff piece hits the millions of State Farm customer's mailboxes. :)
You'll have to think back on what the photographer talked you into!

I can never tell what interview or promotion is going to lead to more eyeballs in the book or on the blog. For every result like this article I probably go through 10 more auditions or e-mail exchanges that just fade away. I've learned to be open to saying "Yes" unless it requires ridiculous amounts of hoop-jumping, and learning whatever techniques I can during the process.

It's like the marketing guy who says that half his advertising budget is wasted, and he just wishes he could figure out which half...

Back
Top Bottom