Nords is famous again....

two4theroad

Recycles dryer sheets
It always surprises me when I see someone whose name I know in the news....

Excerpt from the Wall Street Journal Online this morning.....
Make More on Your Cash

Doug Nordman, a retired Navy submariner in Oahu, Hawaii, recently rolled over money from maturing CDs into new CDs from Pentagon Federal Credit Union that were yielding up to 3% at the time. When he was shopping around, the 49-year-old said one of his goals was to make sure the CDs had low early-withdrawal penalties, since he was earmarking the money for his daughter's education. "For something like the college fund, there's no reason to take on a lot of risk," he says.:greetings10::greetings10::greetings10:

Way to go Nords,
2fer

In honor of Nords' daughter's matriculation, I give you the official Rice cheer.

e to the x, dy dx
e to the x dx
secant, tangent, cosine, sine
cube root, square root, btu
compass, slide rule, go Rice U!

I'm not kidding. They really chant this. Go to any Rice home game, say Rice vs. UT. Listen carefully and you might be able to hear the 3000 some odd Rice students chanting this cheer in their 72,000 seat football stadium, surrounded by 60,000+ UT fans. It is kind-of pitiful, really.

There are more students at UT than there are living Rice students and alumni combined.

I wonder if Nords fille knows what she is getting herself into?

A little pre-book release publicity never hurt! ;)

"Doug Nordman, a noted expert on all matters financial and frequently quoted in the WSJ, has recently released his book ________". :)

Dang! I'm older than Nords! :mad:

Well, that just about busted my day!

Now - back to working on taxes......

Audrey
P.S. Way to go Nords!

I always knew Nords was special! Way to go, Doug!!!:greetings10:

Only time I was ever interviewed by the WSJ was on my love of thrift stores, and it was on the front page...much to the total humiliation of my son who wanted to die (ha!ha!).

I'm thrilled Nords was used as their fine example! Yeahhhhh!!!!:flowers:

"Doug Nordman, a noted expert on all matters financial and frequently quoted in the WSJ, has recently released his book The Search for Yield". :)
Otherwise it is a wasted media piece! Anyway, congratulations Nords!

I thought WSJ online was a subscription, but this appears to be free:
Make More on Your Cash - WSJ.com

I should point out that Jane Kim and other journalists are regular lurkers on this board. She contacted me on this thread, and over the last couple years she's interviewed at least two others of us. So next time we're all ranting about asset allocation or doom&gloom or the one true SWR...

"Doug Nordman, a noted expert on all matters financial and frequently quoted in the WSJ, has recently released his book ________". :)
Ahem. Busted. Now let's see if a certain acquisitions editor at Wiley is reading the WSJ. No word from them for over six weeks, and pretty soon I'm going to have to move on without them.

To be fair, I didn't mention the book to Ms. Kim and she didn't ask. She doesn't know anything about my writing and I wasn't trolling for the interview. She also did a reassuring job of making sure we had the facts and spelling right before she went to press. One of the better media experiences I've had this decade.

Dang! I'm older than Nords! :mad:
Now - back to working on taxes......
If it's any consolation, mentally & emotionally I'm younger than just about everyone!

And I have to [-]stop posting here so much next week[/-] finish my taxes too.

In honor of Nords' daughter's matriculation, I give you the official Rice cheer.
e to the x, dy dx
e to the x dx
secant, tangent, cosine, sine
cube root, square root, btu
compass, slide rule, go Rice U!

I'm not kidding. They really chant this. Go to any Rice home game, say Rice vs. UT. Listen carefully and you might be able to hear the 3000 some odd Rice students chanting this cheer in their 72,000 seat football stadium, surrounded by 60,000 some-odd UT fans. It is kind-of pitiful, really.
I wonder if Nords fille knows what she is getting into?
Oh, that is excellent. We're gonna get a lot of pre-college mileage out of this little nugget-- thanks!

Our kid has just as much idea what she's getting into with Rice as spouse and I had an idea of what we were getting into with procreating. That teen drama/angst rears its head approximately weekly. Yes, both Rice and parenting.

I have to admit that she knows a lot more about Rice (just 120 days away!) than I knew about USNA at this point in 1978. She already has an account on Rice's ESTHER network, complete with e-mail and health forms and financial status. The NROTC unit has already assigned her a sponsor. Rice has already hosted a couple online chats for the early decision students, and they're all befriending each other on Facebook. A couple other Rice prospective students have already started dating-- talk about ruining the college experience before it's started. Last week our kid got homework help over Facebook from an East Coast classmate-to-be. (Yes, she does have her photo posted on Facebook and yes, the help did come from a guy. As far as she can tell from his profile.) HTown Harry has kept us posted on alumni news and she's subscribed to the Rice Thresher. She already knows that she's on mandatory evening study hours at the NROTC unit for the first half of the semester.

I hope that the anticipation is far worse than the actual experience. Yes, both Rice and parenting...

The WSJ has never been interested in my CD roll overs.:blink:

I think it is something about living in Hawaii. The same reporter Jane Kim interviewed me a couple of years ago for some early retirement thing, and last week a reporter for SmartMoney sent me a PMed and we talked about Muni Bonds. Should appear in the June issue.

In fact, I've gotten my name in various magazine and newspaper a lot more since retiring than when I was working... :confused:

I think it is something about living in Hawaii. The same reporter Jane Kim interviewed me a couple of years ago for some early retirement thing, and last week a reporter for SmartMoney sent me a PMed and we talked about Muni Bonds. Should appear in the June issue.

In fact, I've gotten my name in various magazine and newspaper a lot more since retiring than when I was working... :confused:

Although I have always declined, I have been approached frequently by reporters in the past few years, wanting interviews. So it's not just living in Hawaii that triggers them. Maybe they're afraid of Dawg52's great big ol' dog. :D

Actually it is posting on a board, that scores high in google for money discussions.
Being a media whore, the only time I'd turn down a reporter request is if somebody wanted to interview me about my affair with Elin Woods :)

Oops did I let that slip.

I've been approached to but I think it's those hidden make over people Stacy & Clinton !:)Any way Congratulations Nords !

I've been approached to but I think it's those hidden make over people Stacy & Clinton !:)Any way Congratulations Nords !

I'm sure that this board could produce some good resources for Stacy & Clinton...just look at those pictures of what retirees wear.:cool:

When he was shopping around, the 49-year-old said one of his goals was to make sure the CDs had low early-withdrawal penalties . . . .

Nords, can you give us a quick summary of how PenFed calculates its early withdrawal penalties on CDs?

Thanks.

The WSJ has never been interested in my CD roll overs.:blink:

Same here Dawg. Only the IRS has ever showed interest and that was to clarify an IRA CD rolled over into another IRA CD.

Don't think they were much interested in the rate and terms I got. ;)

Way to go Nords. I feel like I know someone famous!

Ahem. Busted. Now let's see if a certain acquisitions editor at Wiley is reading the WSJ. No word from them for over six weeks, and pretty soon I'm going to have to move on without them.
You claim to be retired. Writing a book is a J*B. Busted again.:D

Since you live in Hawaii, I hope the book gets a better reception here than the one by another Hawaiian with initials RK.

Anyway, congrats.

If it's any consolation, mentally & emotionally I'm younger than just about everyone!
Well, I guess you were born in 1960. I was born in 1959. And all these years I've been thinking you had a couple of years on me!

Darn that made me feel old!

Audrey

Come to think of it, I did get a PM from her sometime ago but can't remember the topic. I think I declined the invitation. :blush:

Well if you refuse to talk to the press don't be jealous when you miss out on your big opportunity for fame and fortune. (At least on the ER boards.)

Speaking of fame and fortune can't believe no lurking journalist has asked about my affair, with Mrs Woods.

Well, I guess you were born in 1960. I was born in 1959. And all these years I've been thinking you had a couple of years on me!

Darn that made me feel old!

Audrey

Wow, 1960, really? That sounds so young. I know that 1959 is only 1 year before, but 1960 just sounds so much younger. Maybe since I was born in the 1950's also that 1960 sounds so much younger. I was born in 1953 if that makes you feel any better Audrey. How do all of you youngins have so much knowledge?

Congrats to Nords for your contribution to the story.

Well, I really shouldn't complain. DH and I are the "young kids on the block". The folks around here mostly 10 and 20 years our senior look indulgently upon us "young people'.

But all these years on the forum I've been thinking of Nords as like the older brother I never had.

And I already have younger brothers!!!

;)

Audrey

P.S. I'll get over it. Eventually!

Back
Top Bottom