Join Early Retirement Today

Nords is from the future...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords is from the future...

A quote from our esteemed leader, talking about the future of alternative energy production...

Bush said he was impressed with the growing commercial uses of solar energy.

"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this — that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in your home, and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."

Wow, I look forward to the day when I can do this. It sounds fantastic. But i'm sure that like those flying cars we were supposed to be driving now, it'll never actually happen
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Nords is from the future...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Solar Roof Shingles
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It is happening now. In some states you can feed power back into the power grid and get paid for it.

The future is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
It is happening now.* In some states you can feed power back into the power grid and get paid for it.

The future is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the local solar store they proudly show the "backwards meter" and the credits on the power bill.*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this — that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in your home, and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."
That would have been a insightful forecast -- if it were 1987!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Wow, I look forward to the day when I can do this.* It sounds fantastic.
Hey, I have print ads from the mid-90s advertising Ovonics' solar-power roof tiles.* And I've seen similar ones on HGTV's "I Want That!" show. But I don't think I'd want a "roofmaker" (who taught him that word, Dan Quayle?!?) hooking my electric roof into my inverter.

I wonder if Bush knows that President Jimmy Carter had photovoltaic panels put on the White House roof.*

One of the reasons I was able to persuade my family to spend $14K on a photovoltaic system was my not-so-idle threat to wire all the house's TVs to bicycle-powered generators.* I was kidding, they weren't so sure.* Sounds like Cheney, frustrated at not being allowed to handle ammunition anymore, is acting out by having a little fun with ol' Dubya.

Quote:
But i'm sure that like those flying cars we were supposed to be driving now, it'll never actually happen
Have you seen the Skycar?* Technology ain't the problem-- it's the driver's license exam...

Well, there's one other problem.* But if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Its not far from GHWB's amazement with the bar code scanner in a supermarket during his term. Apparently it had been 30+ years since he'd been in a retail store...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Its not far from GHWB's amazement with the bar code scanner in a supermarket during his term.
I think that cost him the re-election...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Which is a shame. A pretty smart guy with a good feel for politics and issues OUTSIDE the US. I actually voted for GWB the first time because I liked his dad and figured SOMETHING had to rub off on him, or at least he'd be a frequent advisor...
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A pretty smart guy with a good feel for politics and issues OUTSIDE the US.
Especially the part where he diplomatically threw up in the Japanese PM's lap. Bet his diplomatic-expert staff never used THAT expression again!

What was that his lips were reading? Oh, yeah, people outside the U.S. were gonna pay more of our taxes for us...

I felt so dirty after voting for Bush and getting that payback. Luckily I voted for Clinton at the earliest opportunity and then I felt... uhm... never mind.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Eh, he beat the crap out of jerry ford hitting his head on everything and falling down the stairs on air force one, etc...

How many presidents also get their own "term", as throwing up in someones lap became known as "Bushing"...?